I need Help ASAP - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
Sometimes you have to read a whole thread to be able to read "between the lines" and pick up on what is really going on.

Let me go out on a limb here. 3 dog pack, everyone is fine. New cute Golden introduced as a puppy. GSD sees its share of attention drop, gets antsy, still gives the pup a puppy pass. Wife loves on the new pup, her attention to the not-so-cute-anymore GSD wanes (not intentionally). Wife develops preference for Golden. Extremely perceptive GSD picks up on this. Meanwhile, Golden continues to grow and mature and becomes not a puppy but a more mature bitch. First incidents with GSD jealousy begin, just small things, but wife gets more defensive toward the GSD, "trust" issues develop, GSD (extremely sensitive and perceptive!) senses these, and sees wife "consoling" Golden over the big, mean GSD behaviors. GSD dominance assertion escalates to attacks.

Am I close?

Rehome the Golden, roll the clock back to the household you established for the pack as it was before, and restore the relationship between wife and the GSD.
After the yorkie attack and it being male she is unsteady about letting Nala around our yorkie. Nala has always been a 'needy' dog when it comes to attention. she whines and cries alot but we were always told thats just how GSD are. Nothing really changed when Bela was introduced, but as she got older, probably things did change. I would say you are very close. Its easier to sympathize with a submissive and cute 'victim' than a grown stronger dog (while still cute) being the aggressor. I dont think of it that way, but women generally will. (not saying all or anything bad but its true.)
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #72 (permalink)

Just read the whole thread. Sorry you are having problems between Nala and Bella.

If you got Nala from rescue initially, did you sign any paperwork to say she was to go back to rescue if you found you couldn't cope with her?

As everyone has already said dog on dog aggression has no correlation to human aggression.

I am just making assumptions here from what I have read, but it sounds as though your GSD (and other dogs?) don't get all that much to do in terms of exercise, training, time away from home and each other? If this is the case, then you definitely need to up the stimulation your dogs get on a daily basis. Boredom could be playing a big part in the dynamics of your pack. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Nala and Bella should be kept separate when you are unable to keep a close eye on them. As you have said, the fights only occur when you are out of the room ... so, don't go out of a room and leave the two bitches in there together.

Is there any scenario where you would consider keeping all of your dogs, or is it a definitely that one (Nala) has to find a new home? If the latter is the case, then definitely speak with a GSD breed specific rescue and explain the behaviour you are having problems with. Nala should go to an experienced GSD home, either as the only dog, or with a calm older male.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the people who say that the GR should be rehomed because she is the newest and youngest - why should the GSD be punished because you chose to bring in another dog? She was there first and sounds like she has had a rough life before! You made a commitment to this dog earlier, and it is really sad that she will lose her home - again - due to people's failure to keep their commitment.

this thread has made me really sad.....

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post
Just read the whole thread. Sorry you are having problems between Nala and Bella.

If you got Nala from rescue initially, did you sign any paperwork to say she was to go back to rescue if you found you couldn't cope with her?

As everyone has already said dog on dog aggression has no correlation to human aggression.

I am just making assumptions here from what I have read, but it sounds as though your GSD (and other dogs?) don't get all that much to do in terms of exercise, training, time away from home and each other? If this is the case, then you definitely need to up the stimulation your dogs get on a daily basis. Boredom could be playing a big part in the dynamics of your pack. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Nala and Bella should be kept separate when you are unable to keep a close eye on them. As you have said, the fights only occur when you are out of the room ... so, don't go out of a room and leave the two bitches in there together.

Is there any scenario where you would consider keeping all of your dogs, or is it a definitely that one (Nala) has to find a new home? If the latter is the case, then definitely speak with a GSD breed specific rescue and explain the behaviour you are having problems with. Nala should go to an experienced GSD home, either as the only dog, or with a calm older male.
If we could rewind the clock before all this took place we would keep them all. I have personally wanted to get rid of all our dogs and get it down to 1-2 only.
Odly there isnt really a place to walk dogs here. We were going to have our yard fenced in but it was going to cost 6k to do it. There is a 'dog park', but its a bit of a drive and always terribly muddy. Nala doesnt like to play much, she never has. she wants to be petted and praised and keep a look out for bad guys/animals, she does chase the red laser dot though, I guess she figures its an animal. Our lab is pretty lazy, he is getting up in years. Bella and tink are full of energy and like to play, tug-o-war fetch etc are all options for them.
Nala was found running loose and about to get ran over, she wasnt saved from a shelter.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I agree with the people who say that the GR should be rehomed because she is the newest and youngest - why should the GSD be punished because you chose to bring in another dog? She was there first and sounds like she has had a rough life before! You made a commitment to this dog earlier, and it is really sad that she will lose her home - again - due to people's failure to keep their commitment.

this thread has made me really sad.....

Lee
I agree. We just need to weigh it all out I guess.
edit:
Ill put it this way, if it was just me no wife or kids I would keep Nala over any of the others. But I have to consider my wifes feelings and my daughter as well. We will talk about it today more.
Also muzzle good or bad? Wife still thinks it would be a good idea, because nala couldnt attack (sort of) and we could correct bad behavior better. I think it might be a short term fix to a long term problem.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #76 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first instinct would be to rehome the Golden, as it is much easier to place a cute Golden puppy than an adult GSD with issues.

However, I totally understand and sympathize about the lack of trust. Once a person is afraid of/mistrusts a dog, the dog will pick up on it, and the issues will be exacerbated.

However, I think the incident with the friends' Yorkie could be chalked up to mismanagement by the new owners--that Yorkie wasn't part of the GSD's family, and she was in an agitated state, and took out her frustration on an easy target. I rather doubt you'd have the same issue at home with your Yorkie, but I understand the worry and mistrust. Those are hard feelings to shake, and as long as the person has them (whether they want to or not), the dog will know.

So your decision is a tough one, certainly one I can sympathize with. Is there a GSD rescue in your area? If so, contact them and tell them about your GSD, see if they can help.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #77 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
I agree Selzer. Something else i just thought of, after nala attacked bella the first time, they were separated for many hours. then when they were back together they played and everything like normal. I remember seeing Nala take her chin and put it on Bela's back and push down trying to get her to forcefully sit/lay down. I had never seen her do this before. She has even tried to 'hump' Bela before all this happened too.

I think she is obsessed with Bela she interacts with her differently than all of our other dogs. Im starting to wonder if the yorkie attack is even relative at this point. There are a few consistent themes but alot of unknowns.

Those behaviors are dominance behaviors. Nala was trying to dominate Bela and let her know who the boss was.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #78 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
she does chase the red laser dot though,
ACK! Stop doing this. This is known to cause obsessive/compulsive behaviors in dogs, and this is exactly the type of dog that would be prone to those kinds of behaviors anyway. Play ball or tug-of-war instead, and without the other dogs around.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post
Those behaviors are dominance behaviors. Nala was trying to dominate Bela and let her know who the boss was.
Whats funny is, Bela allows her to be dominant. She is very submissive to Nala.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
ACK! Stop doing this. This is known to cause obsessive/compulsive behaviors in dogs, and this is exactly the type of dog that would be prone to those kinds of behaviors anyway. Play ball or tug-of-war instead, and without the other dogs around.
Wow, I had no idea. We havent used the laser thing in probably 8 months or more so no worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.