I need Help ASAP - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryrainbow View Post
and do NOT buy their alpha dominance bull****!
that will only make things worse
Why would a completely confident animal (a true alpha) attack?
it wouldnt
only those who are scared will attack, an 'alpha' has other means of establishing its dominance
and it is not through fighting
trying to be 'alpha' over a dog that is already scared only reinforces whatever fear she has currently
i have 2 GSDs and 2 Akitas, never lain a hand on them. if i did? they probably would piss themselves. if i do it enough times, they would take my face off.. and it would be well deserved!
I never could grasp that. I am top dog she knows that. I tell her she obeys. Its not a matter of who is top dog. They kept saying I as an owner need to be top dog. I already am...
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
I never could grasp that. I am top dog she knows that. I tell her she obeys. Its not a matter of who is top dog. They kept saying I as an owner need to be top dog. I already am...
They were telling you to alpha roll your dog (force her to lay down and hold her belly up) and show her you didn't 'approve' of her attacking the pup (hit her).
It is no wonder why so many people posted that their dogs were loony too, probably because they beat their dogs.

However, Savage.
I have an easy solution for you.
Do not leave the GSD unsupervised, ever! Where you go, she goes. If you need to do something without her, then put her in her crate.

I also noticed that you said she goes nutso when the golden walks by her crate.. That is probably extremely frustrating. where is her crate? could you put it in the laundry room or bathroom and shut the door ?

how do they play?
GSDs are very loud and rambunctious..!
angryrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
They were telling you to alpha roll your dog (force her to lay down and hold her belly up) and show her you didn't 'approve' of her attacking the pup (hit her).
It is no wonder why so many people posted that their dogs were loony too, probably because they beat their dogs.

However, Savage.
I have an easy solution for you.
Do not leave the GSD unsupervised, ever! Where you go, she goes. If you need to do something without her, then put her in her crate.

I also noticed that you said she goes nutso when the golden walks by her crate.. That is probably extremely frustrating. where is her crate? could you put it in the laundry room or bathroom and shut the door ?

how do they play?
GSDs are very loud and rambunctious..!
Crate is in the living room. GSD is currently downstairs by herself. 3 dogs are up here with me. When they play the GSD will go on her back and the retriever will be standing. Our yorkie is the "cleaner" he goes around licking the other dogs ears and teeth all the time. ZERO aggression shown by any of the dogs toward him for it. If we arent in the room and the GSD is crated and the retriever walks in, GSD immediately growls and lunges at her through the cage. they play fine when im standing here but when i am not a switch gets flipped. We are going to look into a muzzle and maybe we can see what is going on then without any damage.

ALSO: if the GSD is up here and the other 3 are outside or shut in another room, the GSD actively searches the house room by room in search for her. Its like she is obsessed.

Last edited by savage22; 12-25-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Crate is in the living room. GSD is currently downstairs by herself. 3 dogs are up here with me. When they play the GSD will go on her back and the retriever will be standing. Our yorkie is the "cleaner" he goes around licking the other dogs ears and teeth all the time. ZERO aggression shown by any of the dogs toward him for it. If we arent in the room and the GSD is crated and the retriever walks in, GSD immediately growls and lunges at her through the cage. they play fine when im standing here but when i am not a switch gets flipped. We are going to look into a muzzle and maybe we can see what is going on then without any damage.
i do not think you should muzzle her and put her into the situation knowing what will probably happen
first of all, what if the golden decides to fight back ? the gsd cannot defend herself.
PLUS fights are VERY stressful for both parties! you could possibly scare the golden so bad that she will become reactive, cause health problems and maybe even escalate the situation.
every time you allow her to practice this behavior, it is one step closer to becoming a habit! it has only happened a few times so far, so it can be reversible.

the crate thing is normal in most dogs. it is barrier frustration. ever been to an agility / obedience trial? people have their dogs in crates until it is their turn to run, and many of them go ballistic! it is like you being in a jail cell and you have to watch all of your friends have a party. you want to be out there with them.. but you are locked up.. so you get frustrated.

Quote:
ALSO: if the GSD is up here and the other 3 are outside or shut in another room, the GSD actively searches the house room by room in search for her. Its like she is obsessed.
that, to me.. is telling me.. she is REALLLLLYYYY bored.
does she have a kong ? or any mentally stimulating toys?
try.. looking up 'clicker training'

Last edited by angryrainbow; 12-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
i do not think you should muzzle her and put her into the situation knowing what will probably happen
first of all, what if the golden decides to fight back ? the gsd cannot defend herself.
PLUS fights are VERY stressful for both parties! you could possibly scare the golden so bad that she will become reactive, cause health problems and maybe even escalate the situation.
every time you allow her to practice this behavior, it is one step closer to becoming a habit! it has only happened a few times so far, so it can be reversible.

the crate thing is normal in most dogs. it is barrier frustration. ever been to an agility / obedience trial? people have their dogs in crates until it is their turn to run, and many of them go ballistic! it is like you being in a jail cell and you have to watch all of your friends have a party. you want to be out there with them.. but you are locked up.. so you get frustrated.
okay ill scrap the muzzle idea. the retriever would never fight back she is ultra docile/submissive.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
okay ill scrap the muzzle idea. the retriever would never fight back she is ultra docile/submissive.
savage.. lets say, you were ultra docile. everytime you went to work, your coworker punched you.
first few times "wow thats weird.." especially since you two work together so well
then it starts to get annoying
soon enough, you beat him to the punch.

those who are 'submissive' are not submissive forever. they have limits and thresholds just as everyone else and these limits need to be respected.

also how you say they play, the gsd on her back, that is more submissive than the golden looming over her !
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
savage.. lets say, you were ultra docile. everytime you went to work, your coworker punched you.
first few times "wow thats weird.." especially since you two work together so well

those who are 'submissive' are not submissive forever. they have limits and thresholds just as everyone else and these limits need to be respected.

also how you say they play, the gsd on her back, that is more submissive than the golden looming over her !
well thats why she was rescued she was hiding in the back of the crate at the shelter and they were afraid noone would take her. she hid for 2 days after we got her. I dont doubt what your saying but she is no where close to retaliation. either way Ill keep the instances low as possible.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
So.. What makes the Retriever pup so special? Why can't you rehome it ?
I just brought a pup home a few weeks ago
if the current dogs here reacted in anyway, the pup would be GONE. not the dogs who have lived here for years. not the ones who i have invested all of my heart and time into.
It really isn't that simple. Weeks are not months. The thing is, a bitch is rarely same-sex aggressive to a pack member until that pack member starts to reach sexual maturity. So if you have a pup at 8 weeks old and the problem does not crop up until the pup is 9-12 months old, you are going to be in a quandry about rehoming either dog.

The gut reaction is to re-home the agressor, because let's face it, when you have to separate dogs you care about because they act like they want to KILL each other it is hard. It feels like you are having a heart attack it is fast, terrifying, frustrating, helplessness, adrenalin rush all at once. I can understand why that would make you have second thoughts about having the dog around kids.

But dog-dog, pack-aggression, same-sex aggression is totally a dog thing. And it is just a part of our ability to live with critters, and treat them like critters, understand that they are critters. The dog is not bad, she is a dog. In her workings, there is another bitch who is encroaching / threatening her position there. It has to go (in her opinion). The only way this is dangerous for your kid is if the kid gets in between the two dogs. Which is not impossible.

I would feel responsible for the GSD. And if it was the other way around, the Golden was the elder, I would feel responsible for the Golden. If I had 3 dogs, and brought a fourth and that disturbed the balance that the dogs had, then that would be the dog that would have to be re-homed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:

Listen to this^^^^

I had a friendly, playful, GSD who was exposed to a fostered doberman with anxiety thru the roof. Whenever he would feel closed in, he would turn on the nearest dog, often my Jax. So my confident, friendly, GSD has been dealing with fear aggression towards other dogs for 4 of her 5 years. Eventually, your GR will have enough and learn to fight back. She will then move on to the "I'll get you before you get me" and you have alot of work ahead of you. This is NOT fun.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #50 (permalink)

a lady my wife works with knows someone who trains GSD for the police, she will discuss this situation in the next day or two with them.

edit:
also, say the GSD is in the living room, if i even whisper to another dog or pet them, the GSD would run in and kind of nuzzle the other dog out of the way and try and get the affection. whats the deal with that?

Last edited by savage22; 12-25-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.