I need Help ASAP - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you know what exactly happened with the yorkie? It sounds like what the GSD was doing at your house is same sex/dominance behaviors. So the fact she attacked the make yorkie is odd but GSDs could also easily hurt a dog that small without meaning to. I have had Dharma play with small dogs and I have to call her off because she is simply too rough for them.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Regardless of what happened with the second Yorkie I would say this is same sex aggression towards your dog. As for the second Yorkie, I would venture a guess that it may well have been prey drive kicking in when she went after him.

I would look for a good experienced home with no other dogs to take her in. There is no need to consider having her PTS. Dog on dog aggression does not translate into human aggression.

In the meantine I would keep these two dogs separated at all times, you need to keep your other one safe it is not fair to let this happen again, If you have to, crate and rotate until you find a suitable home to place her in. Possibly contact some local reputable rescues and ask if they could assist you in helping to find a suitable home.

Good Luck
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post
Do you know what exactly happened with the yorkie? It sounds like what the GSD was doing at your house is same sex/dominance behaviors. So the fact she attacked the make yorkie is odd but GSDs could also easily hurt a dog that small without meaning to. I have had Dharma play with small dogs and I have to call her off because she is simply too rough for them.
not sure what happened at all, all they said was they walked out of the house/room and GSD went on attack mode. Nearly killed it, they called us from the Vet ER.
I agree finding a home for the retriever would be easier but my wife is fearfull for our yorkie now... there is a trust issue now.
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahCan View Post
Regardless of what happened with the second Yorkie I would say this is same sex aggression towards your dog. As for the second Yorkie, I would venture a guess that it may well have been prey drive kicking in when she went after him.

I would look for a good experienced home with no other dogs to take her in. There is no need to consider having her PTS. Dog on dog aggression does not translate into human aggression.

In the meantine I would keep these two dogs separated at all times, you need to keep your other one safe it is not fair to let this happen again, If you have to, crate and rotate until you find a suitable home to place her in. Possibly contact some local reputable rescues and ask if they could assist you in helping to find a suitable home.

Good Luck
Thanks so much. All I have heard is to shoot the GSD. "its gonna turn on your daughter." etc.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

So they brought the dog home, knowing she'd been aggressive in your home, and gave her free range of the whole house immediately?
Is the Yorkie going to make it?

Quote:
All I have heard is to shoot the GSD.
Well, as selzer said, it's probably due to the fact you brought home the Retriever puppy, another female.
So why should the GSD pay with her life??
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
So they brought the dog home, knowing she'd been aggressive in your home, and gave her free range of the whole house immediately?
Is the Yorkie going to make it?

Well, as selzer said, it's probably due to the fact you brought home the Retriever puppy, another female.
So why should the GSD pay with her life??
I dunno either. Thats just what people said, she is a liability.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
Thanks so much. All I have heard is to shoot the GSD. "its gonna turn on your daughter." etc.

What??? Dear Lord, there are some ignorant people out there. As has been said, dog aggression does not translate to human aggression. Plus the GSD was not aggressive to your other dogs, just to the female (and maturing) Golden.

Since the other people left the GSD and yorkie alone right after bringing it into their house, you don't really know what happened. Prey drive? Rough housing gone bad? Or was the yorkie in the GSDs face, being obnoxious? Or did the GSD just attack the yorkie out of the blue? Who knows? No one was there.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Frankly, your dog was in a heightened mode, in a new home, free access to a dog she does not know. She works fine in your home with your Yorkie and your older lab.

The problem is that you brought it another female. That female is not reaching sexual maturity, and your GSD bitch is simply not ok with having another bitch there.

I think that you should rehome the Golden puppy, and be a three-dog home while you have a GSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Dog aggression has nothing to do with human aggression.

I feel bad for you. But it will be a whole lot easier to rehome the Golden puppy than to rehome a GSD that has a problem with other dogs.
I 100% agree with Sue. I'm a firm believer of First In, Last Out unless circumstances demand otherwise. Your GSD was fine until you brought the GR puppy in. When you bring a puppy or dog into a home with other dogs, there is always the chance that it won't work out.

No, dog aggression does not transfer to human aggression or vice versa. I have one Boxer who is DA and loves people AND loves the dog she grew up with. Another Boxer who is HA and is fine with strange dogs.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Most people aren't very educated about dogs...and that comes from a rescue perspective where we run into very uneducated people daily.

There's nothing wrong with your dog. She doesn't like the puppy. She's stressed over that.
People can't fathom that dogs have feelings and emotions too, they aren't little robots with fur, or humans with fur.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Most people aren't very educated about dogs...and that comes from a rescue perspective where we run into very uneducated people daily.

There's nothing wrong with your dog. She doesn't like the puppy. She's stressed over that.
People can't fathom that dogs have feelings and emotions too, they aren't little robots with fur, or humans with fur.
God bless your common sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.