I need Help ASAP - Page 15 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #141 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And how do you disallow the GR not to be fearful???

You shall not cringe, you shall not cringe!!!

If you the out of them, every day, maybe they will be too tired to each other.

The problem is most of us will be long before our are.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #142 (permalink)

Had another 'attack' tonight. Everything seemed to be going okay.
We noticed Bela has been very 'afraid' of Nala lately. She wont come in the house if Nala is at the door etc. My wife noticed Bela crying under the kitchen table and wouldnt come out she said Nala acted like she had her trapped. This is again what happened, my daughter was eating dinner at the table, bela under it, nala/bela someone growled at the other and Nala got ahold of her leg. it wasnt terrible attack or anything we were able to split them up.
Nala was shaking after we broke them up and just acted like she had an adrenaline dump. My wife would describe Nala's behavior as 'stalking.'
We have been on top of any dominance stuff.
My daughter is only 6 so she isnt the greatest witness. but she says Bela trying to lick her fingers while she was eating just before the fight... Take that info with a grain of salt...
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #143 (permalink)
Master Member

seriously, rehome the puppy- how much longer are you going to let this go on? contact a rescue to take the younger dog and find her a good home. do you want to wait until your older dog KILLS your younger dog? rehome the younger dog NOW ... its not dominance stuff- its called the older female doesnt like the younger female and you have same sex aggression... stop allowing your older dog to bully your younger dog too- that is cruel and unfair to your younger dog- you should not be allowing the older dog to bully the younger dog to the point the younger dog wont come in the house... you are setting both dogs up to fail and its not their fault.
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #144 (permalink)
Banned

Yep.
One of these days very soon you're going to have a bad disaster.
People have given you 15 pages of advice, primarily, rehome the puppy. Before she's killed, maimed, one of you (or your kids) gets maimed, and before her head's so messed up she'll never be right
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #145 (permalink)

We have not rehomed any dog because we have been advised by our vet and a behaviorist not to. We are asking for other suggestions, please don't be rude...The behaviorist states that it isn't cut and dry female aggression based on the vet's findings and what we have told him. I mean if you have children who are having fights, you don't just find one of them another home. I am sorry, but all of these dogs are like my children and I want to get to the bottom of this. I understand that rehoming is an option, but it should be a last resort.
dawn8207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #146 (permalink)

No one has been rude. We've all offered you the best advice there is given the information that we have. Your dogs are not children as much as you feel like they are. Your dogs deserve not to live in fear of an attack or at a high level of anxiety all the time.

I recommend getting a second opinion from another behaviorist. Just because one calls themself a trainer/behaviorist doesn't mean they are worth the paper their business card is written on. If you believe your vet and behaviorist are right, then listen to them and follow their instructions.

There is nothing that strangers on the internet can add that will magically make it better when we are not able to witness the behavior.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #147 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn8207 View Post
We have not rehomed any dog because we have been advised by our vet and a behaviorist not to. We are asking for other suggestions, please don't be rude...The behaviorist states that it isn't cut and dry female aggression based on the vet's findings and what we have told him. I mean if you have children who are having fights, you don't just find one of them another home. I am sorry, but all of these dogs are like my children and I want to get to the bottom of this. I understand that rehoming is an option, but it should be a last resort.
I see no rudeness, only members who are taking time out of their busy lives to offer you help and advice.
I guess you don't like the advice you've been given here, but asking again and again will only get you the same replies.
It is your choice to continue with this, but if you keep updating with reports of fights, I'm afraid the advice you get here will be exactly the same.

PS-- as long as you think of them as children and equate them with kids instead of recognizing they are animals, ones that can hurt each other or your child-- then you won't be able to fix your problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #148 (permalink)
Banned

Dawn. I'm sorry if you feel we're "rude" but your last post specifically asked for suggestions.

And we gave them, then. The below post is full of...not sure how to say it..."bad advice" is the best I can do.
The only bit of advice from this that's usable is "walk them daily".

You can't make a dog not be fearful. You can't make a dog be less aggressive to another dog.
Dogs are what they are - they are dogs. They are not kids and they don't have moral codes like "don't hurt your sister".

And anti-depressants can make aggression worse, and at best, take 30 days to work, which leads me to suspect your trainer/behaviorist doesn't know what she/he is talking about with regards to Prozac.

In light of all the above and everything else posted, the best advice and "suggestions" we all seem to have is "rehome one of the dogs" and we also seemed to agree overall that the most rehomable one is the Golden puppy.

Quote:
It's been a few days since we have posted any updates on the status of our GSD situation. We have been working with our vet and an animal behaviorist about our situation. The behaviorist is suggesting that we put our GSD on Prozac temporarily, so that we are able to work with the dogs together easier. The behaviorist says that the GR submission to the GSD is out of fear and that fear is making the GSD more aggressive or feeding her aggression. They are suggesting that we keep the GSD on the Prozac for about a week before putting the two dogs back together. Then they are suggesting that we leash both of the dogs and slowly put them back together, not allowing the GSD to be aggressive or the GR to be fearful of the GSD. They say that we need to walk them together (one person to each dog) with a close leash at first and then letting the leash out more and more until they can be around each other without issues. This seems like the best plan that we have been able to come up with so far, any thoughts? Suggestions?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
Had another 'attack' tonight. Everything seemed to be going okay.
We noticed Bela has been very 'afraid' of Nala lately. She wont come in the house if Nala is at the door etc. My wife noticed Bela crying under the kitchen table and wouldnt come out she said Nala acted like she had her trapped. This is again what happened, my daughter was eating dinner at the table, bela under it, nala/bela someone growled at the other and Nala got ahold of her leg. it wasnt terrible attack or anything we were able to split them up.
Nala was shaking after we broke them up and just acted like she had an adrenaline dump. My wife would describe Nala's behavior as 'stalking.'
We have been on top of any dominance stuff.
My daughter is only 6 so she isnt the greatest witness. but she says Bela trying to lick her fingers while she was eating just before the fight... Take that info with a grain of salt...
Why are you allowing these dogs to be in the same room together? We are going through a very similar situation. We have the dogs completely separated. With crates and baby gates, we prevent them from ever coming in contact with one another. We are working with a trainer who comes to our home. Unless we are 100 percent sure the dogs can safely be together, they will remain separated. You are putting your 6 year old's safety at risk. Have you considered what might happen if your daughter gets caught between two fighting dogs?

Lila mit der Floppy-Ohr
Ellie Rubmybelly
Teddy the Fearless
Chaz the Spaz

Pokey - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
Zoey - may you catch the UPS man
Auggie -may you find the peace you never had
Zookeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master Member

if you love your dogs like you love your children and treat them as such, then do the right thing and rehome the golden puppy... true love is doing what is RIGHT for the dog- no matter what.... if you own a dog you have a responsibility to keep the dog SAFE.... just like you have a responsibility to keep your child safe..... you will be shocked when the older dog kills the younger dog, and you will blame the older dog..... it isnt the dogs fault, either of them... you have a responsibility to keep the dogs separate until you rehome the puppy. and yes, get another opinion from another vet and behaviorist.. what the ones you have now are tellling you is going to get the golden pup killed.... just contact golden retriever rescue and give up that puppy before you ruin its temperment with the older dog bullying it or getting it killed.... and until you do KEEP BOTH DOGS SEPARATE BEHIND GATES and dont let them interact... period... keep them separate 24/7....
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.