I need Help ASAP - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #121 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have a pack going on. Free-feeding a pack of dogs does set you up for some discussions between the dogs. Sometimes you will have an over-weight dog because he eats more than he should. And sometimes you have a dog that stops eating and it really isn't noticed very quick because others are picking up the slack.

If you have a pack, then you really should put the food down, and pick it up in 5-15minutes. You can feed dogs together with separate bowls if there have been no problems, But for many of us with multiple dogs, it just makes more sense to feed everyone in their crates. High value treats go in the crates also.

I think it is interesting that Bella, who likes the Kongs, is the youngster who had some of the trouble. You have one dog who is borderline resource guarding when it comes to her kong, Another who acts mean when others get to near his food, and a little one that barks at every one when he comes in. And then some SSA. That is a lot going on. I think that to have a pack work you really need to be a certain kind of leader, and your leadership and the leadership of the humans in this pack has to be improved so that some of these behaviors, which you seem pretty ok with go away.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Make sure you're there supervising though the meal. If someone starts eyeing someone else's food, stop it before it starts.
Pick up any food that's "left over",. do not leave them alone together in the room.

There's a ton of info here - Can We Help You Keep Your Pet? Other Animals
gotch!
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You have a pack going on. Free-feeding a pack of dogs does set you up for some discussions between the dogs. Sometimes you will have an over-weight dog because he eats more than he should. And sometimes you have a dog that stops eating and it really isn't noticed very quick because others are picking up the slack.

If you have a pack, then you really should put the food down, and pick it up in 5-15minutes. You can feed dogs together with separate bowls if there have been no problems, But for many of us with multiple dogs, it just makes more sense to feed everyone in their crates. High value treats go in the crates also.

I think it is interesting that Bella, who likes the Kongs, is the youngster who had some of the trouble. You have one dog who is borderline resource guarding when it comes to her kong, Another who acts mean when others get to near his food, and a little one that barks at every one when he comes in. And then some SSA. That is a lot going on. I think that to have a pack work you really need to be a certain kind of leader, and your leadership and the leadership of the humans in this pack has to be improved so that some of these behaviors, which you seem pretty ok with go away.
My house is a circus...
I think there are some inconsistencies my wife and I could both work on.
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #124 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I haven't read every post, but some things jumped out at me as being clear and easy places to start. Like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Do not feed together. That's a trigger.
Feed separately IN CRATES. Give them plenty of crate time in between exercising.

DO NOT Leave them alone together.
If you see the slightest indication - this will require you to be extremely vigilant and know dog body language - that one is going to attack, intervene before it starts with a "HEYYY!!! That's ENOUGH!!!"

Do not leave toys out that can be guarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn8207 View Post
The first attack that happened at 3:30am wasn't the first time that Bella (my GR) was left out of her cage. She had been out previously on many occasions with no issues and before she started tearing up the floor she was out all the time.
I only have two dogs, not four, and they are 4 years old and 7 years old, but they still sleep in crates at night even though they get along fabulously and would sleep through the night with no problem. You can't deal with any issues if you're not there or you're asleep, so keep the dogs separated unless you're there actively supervising. Have at least some of them sleep in crates or another room, if not all of them.

Actively supervise play time and don't leave toys laying around since you're already seeing a problem with toys and guarding. Feed them separately. Never walk out of the room when food is around. If they can safely eat a meal together as long as one of you right there supervising, fine. Put the bowls down, let everyone eat, then pick the bowls up until the next meal. No free feeding, ever.

In fact, personally I'd work with them (probably separately at first) on impulse control around food, so eventually you can have all of them in a sit or down while you put the bowls down, and then release everyone to eat, IF it's safe to have them eat in the same room. That's what I do with my dogs. I do close the door to the garage pen when I walk away so one is one each side of it, but not because they'll fight about food, it's because Halo will eat hers AND Keefer's, and he'll let her, lol!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #125 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I really think that age-wise you are dealing with sexual maturity and not puppy license expiration.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #126 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
I think there are some inconsistencies my wife and I could both work on.
That is a perfect place to start - decide between you what the new house rules are going to be, and then both of you are responsible for implementing them consistently. You need to be on the same page so the dogs always know what's expected of them.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #127 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
That is a perfect place to start - decide between you what the new house rules are going to be, and then both of you are responsible for implementing them consistently. You need to be on the same page so the dogs always know what's expected of them.

You definitely have a working pack. That pack needs leadership. Search NILIF- Nothing In Life Is Free and start implementing it with all of your dogs. Be consistent and fair. Start spending a few minutes a day working with each dog training. I would feed all of them in their crates for now. If for no other reason than it allows each dog to eat in peace.

I agree with selzer and think the issues with Nala and Bella are SSA. I just don't know that you are going to be able to fix that. If you are determined to keep them, you may have to end up crating and rotating.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #128 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I really think that age-wise you are dealing with sexual maturity and not puppy license expiration.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I wasn't clear. When the puppy 'pass' stopped appeared to be the time when the SSA started. I do 100% believe it's SSA in this case. (Probably also in my house, too) When the other female views that female as being 'mature', the problems begin. Even if they weren't there before. I'm with Selzer, I don't think this is something that's going to be solved (ie, it doesn't happen again) by training or a behaviorist. I think it's going to take SUPER tight management, knowing how to read your dog and it STILL has a decent chance of happening again. Putting 2 bitches together is always going to be a chance at having this happen. We 'manage' because it's an atypical case and I don't know how long the old girl will be with us. No way I'd do this for many, many years!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #129 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog Kira, always brings out the worst in other dogs. I never could figure why, until I caught her doing this little sneaky snarl with her upper lip.

There was an incident where I was walking with Kira and we came across a GSD that she used to play with as a puppy. Both dogs were leashed, and myself and the owner were chatting. At one point, the other GSD walked over to Kira and licked her mouth. A split second later the other dog attacked Kira

What could have gone wrong?
According to other owner, he saw Kira " flick her lip"
Could Kira have instigated the incident? I believe she did.

This could be what's going on with you GR.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #130 (permalink)

ok...the blood work all came back fine with Nala according to the vet. Nothing physical seems to be going on. We have been keeping the dogs all separate to let things calm down for a little while. Today I started to reintegrate Nala with the other dogs to see what she would do. She paid no attention to my Lab which is no surprise, he's the biggest and has been with us the longest, but now she is growling at my yorkie just like the GR. She didn't attack him but would have if I wasn't there to stop her. What is up with all of this?
dawn8207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.