I need Help ASAP - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #91 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage22 View Post
1. was wrong, the GSD is not crated, she has free reign of our downstairs. No dogs are currently in a crate.
I agree with everything else you have said. fixed or not the GR is becoming mature.

Also, prior to the GSD vs GR, the GR was crated every night. The one night we did not crate her is when this started. maybe that makes a difference I dunno.

Whoa!! This is very important. (to me anyway)

So here's this GR roaming the house (at night) for the first time.
Is there a chance the GSD did what he did naturally? That is, protect his home?
Maybe he was surprised / startled at the sight of the GR, and reacted.

Suddenly, the GR invades the GSD space at night.

I'd like to hear more from some of the others, about how this may have played a role.
IMO, I think it played a major role.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #92 (permalink)
Banned

Oh yeah. The GR puppy was roaming and may have even started the fight.

That'll blow your wife's mind I'm sure.

It may have been something simple like the pup guarding a toy from the GSD.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post
Do you know what exactly happened with the yorkie? It sounds like what the GSD was doing at your house is same sex/dominance behaviors. So the fact she attacked the make yorkie is odd but GSDs could also easily hurt a dog that small without meaning to. I have had Dharma play with small dogs and I have to call her off because she is simply too rough for them.
We have no idea what happened aside from they walked out of the house with the nala and their yorkie lose and came in to what i presume to be a mess. the dog is still at the ER vet with possible lung puncture wounds and possibly broken ribs.
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
[/B]

Whoa!! This is very important. (to me anyway)

So here's this GR roaming the house (at night) for the first time.
Is there a chance the GSD did what he did naturally? That is, protect his home?
Maybe he was surprised / startled at the sight of the GR, and reacted.

Suddenly, the GR invades the GSD space at night.

I'd like to hear more from some of the others, about how this may have played a role.
IMO, I think it played a major role.
Well basically our lab and the GSD are free upstairs where we sleep. the GR is crated because she is a puppy and likes to eat the floor.
Nala (gsd) never plays with toys really and no toy was in sight. the GSD is not protective of toys at all, she doesnt really play with them, the GR loves kongs though.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Well basically our lab and the GSD are free upstairs where we sleep. the GR is crated because she is a puppy and likes to eat the floor.
Nala (gsd) never plays with toys really and no toy was in sight. the GSD is not protective of toys at all, she doesnt really play with them, the GR loves kongs though.
Nala doesn't have to like toys to be the victim of a resource guarder.
You just said you stopped crating Bella, and that was when problems started. Bella could've easily guarded one of her kongs (all you have to do is walk past a Resource Guarder, don't even need to touch or take anything). Fights could start one place and end in another.

Why don't you.. start crating Bella again? ..?
angryrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #96 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Putting my 18 month GSD Kira in your GSD's place.....

I've posted many threads about Kira's reaction if someone were to surprise her in my home.
For instance... Kira could be laying quietly on her mat, and one of my daughters friends would quietly appear in the foyer. Her immediate response would be reactive She would puff up and charge. When she sensed no threat, she would stop.
I'm imagining your GSD was startled by the sudden appearance of your GR during the night. At that point, something prompted an attack, and changed the dynamics between those two dogs.

Going back to what others also said, the GR may also have changed the dynamics just by being there.

You have your hands full with all those dogs.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #97 (permalink)

Okay back from the vet. Getting bloodwork done and all that.
Vet doesnt see anything out the ordinary with Nala. they did say the mark on nala's eye was a bite/tooth mark.
There was no pain in the joints, missing teeth or anything that seemed to tip off towards a pain issue. Only thing they said was Nala was hesitant to let her pull on a shoulder but it didnt seem hurt Nala.
Nala showed ZERO signs of aggression towards any of the lady's at the vet's office. they could do whatever they wanted and she did very well.
They asked about when she attacks Bela is it at the throat or what? Its not its on the rump/hind quarters usually. That seems like a good sign in a weird way.
So it boils down this, if she has a thyroid problem, will try and medicate it.
If nothing crazy with thyroid she needs a professional trainer which I surely do not have the money for.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryrainbow View Post
Nala doesn't have to like toys to be the victim of a resource guarder.
You just said you stopped crating Bella, and that was when problems started. Bella could've easily guarded one of her kongs (all you have to do is walk past a Resource Guarder, don't even need to touch or take anything). Fights could start one place and end in another.

Why don't you.. start crating Bella again? ..?
We only crated bella at night so she wouldnt go all 'puppy destruction' while we were asleep. We didnt crate her every night but semi-routine. My wife got up in the middle of the night and let the dogs out to potty and just didnt re-crate her.
Bela is kind of kong-protective but I dont think a kong was present that night. It definitely wasnt during the next attack.
Bottom line we cant keep one dog crated for the rest of their lives we have to figure out a final solution to all this.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Putting my 18 month GSD Kira in your GSD's place.....

I've posted many threads about Kira's reaction if someone were to surprise her in my home.
For instance... Kira could be laying quietly on her mat, and one of my daughters friends would quietly appear in the foyer. Her immediate response would be reactive She would puff up and charge. When she sensed no threat, she would stop.
I'm imagining your GSD was startled by the sudden appearance of your GR during the night. At that point, something prompted an attack, and changed the dynamics between those two dogs.

Going back to what others also said, the GR may also have changed the dynamics just by being there.

You have your hands full with all those dogs.
Once my daughter was in the kitchen eating dinner. Nala was under the table laying down. I walked out of the room and I had a feeling either my daughter was feeding her or not eating or something. So i snuck into the living room and peeked into the kitchen from the shadows. My daughter did not see me but Nala sure did, and she came out from that kitchen table ready to get what she thought was an intruder. I stepped out from the dark living room and she saw it was me and immediately changed to 'oh I know you! pet me!?'
she has the ability to turn her aggressiveness on or off.
I agree, my hands are full and I have been slowly pushing for less dogs at our house. I am outnumbered in more ways than one!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #100 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Once my daughter was in the kitchen eating dinner. Nala was under the table laying down. I walked out of the room and I had a feeling either my daughter was feeding her or not eating or something. So i snuck into the living room and peeked into the kitchen from the shadows. My daughter did not see me but Nala sure did, and she came out from that kitchen table ready to get what she thought was an intruder. I stepped out from the dark living room and she saw it was me and immediately changed to 'oh I know you! pet me!?'
she has the ability to turn her aggressiveness on or off.
I agree, my hands are full and I have been slowly pushing for less dogs at our house. I am outnumbered in more ways than one!
I can't offer advice, but your dog's reaction to you, very well could have been the same response to your GR in the middle of the night. Now your GSD smells blood.

I'm not going to comment on turning off aggressiveness or on. That'll be addressed by others. I will say that that's not good.

Freestep, and I think Selzer mentioned getting rid of the GR. Based on what you describe, it doesn't seem like your GSD has an issue. I do believe that your GSD has an issue with the GR.
As far as the Yorkie, well.. that could happen t any dog in that situation. I would NEVER leave a new GSD alone in that situation. The Yorkie could have gotten aggressive towards your GSD, and the GSD responded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.