Newly purchased GSD sometimes aggressive to my child - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newly purchased GSD sometimes aggressive to my child

Hi. I am new to the GSD community and I am glad that I found you all. I have a question, we recently purchased a 1 1/2 year old male GSD. He is a good dog....most of the time. The lady I purchased him from said that he was good with children. I have a 5 yr old son. Most of the time Niko is good with him, but my son is timid of him because he is so BIG and a couple of times usually when he is laying in front of the door when my son tries to go into the bedroom beside the door he will get up and go towards my son and growl at him. Needless to say this is making me VERY nervous!! I am not sure what to do. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
lashon8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think it should make you very nervous. I will leave others to give advice but I think I would not be keeping this dog for one minute if he is growling at a child. The child must come first.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Someone lied to you.

A GSD should not be growling at a 5 year old and I would not trust this dog with your child.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
Someone lied to you.

A GSD should not be growling at a 5 year old and I would not trust this dog with your child.

I totally agree. Take him back, not a match. I'm sorry, that really does suck I have a 5 year old child myself. If a dog I had gotten recently did that I would IMMEDIATELY get it outta here, at the very least, NEVER EVER FOR ONE SPLIT SECOND leave it loose around the child until I could get the dog to a safe place, AWAY from my child.
The damage that can be done in a split second is NOT worth the risk...
Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think it should make you very nervous. I will leave others to give advice but I think I would not be keeping this dog for one minute if he is growling at a child. The child must come first.
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it - often the next step to a growl is a snap.

Either get rid of the dog or get pro experienced help right now. Maybe a muzzle anytime the dog is near the child. Unless the dog is in pain from something bsolutely no reason/excuse for an adult GSD toever growl for real at a small child!

Tragedy waiting to happen!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it - often the next step to a growl is a snap.

Either get rid of the dog or get pro experienced help right now. Maybe a muzzle anytime the dog is near the child. Unless the dog is in pain from something bsolutely no reason/excuse for an adult GSD toever growl for real at a small child!

Tragedy waiting to happen!!!!!
The OP stated the dog would go toward the child while growling... the next step there is not just a snap, it is a full on attack. I wouldn't have that behavior going on for one split second. A little girl was killed here in Topeka last week by a Pitt in a home... this is not something to fool around with.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
The OP stated the dog would go toward the child while growling... the next step there is not just a snap, a full on attack. I wouldn't have that behavior going on for one split second. A little girl was killed here in Topeka last week by a Pitt in a home... this is not something to fool around with.
Not necessarily an attack, could be a warning not to come any closer. I would not let the dog near the child obviously, but really could not make any specific comments unless I could actually see the behavior myself.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Not necessarily an attack, could be a warning not to come any closer. I would not let the dog near the child obviously, but really could not make any specific comments unless I could actually see the behavior myself.
I'm not claiming to be an expert, it just sounds like a stalking behavior. The dog is going TOWARDS the child, not warning the child not to come closer. It sounded to me like the child was not approaching the dog, the dog was approaching the child.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

You should give the dog back and until you can do this keep him away from your child at all times......he is not a "good dog".....please keep him away from your little boy.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

your son is timid of the dog . So he is already stressed , and then the dog gives him good reason to be frightened .

You bought an adult dog , without training , recently, and have not trained him , given him full freedom , while the son, the family are inhibited by the dog. Your son should be able to move around his house , wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom without thinking about hazards .
You either crate the dog whenever he is not being trained, under supervision/control , until you know the dog and he knows his place -- or he goes back. I would opt for the GO BACK , no chances with dogs and kids .

Sounds like a distress sale in the first place . Why did the person sell the dog ?

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.