need help as fast as any body can please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy need help as fast as any body can please

actually i have a german shepherd and it is about 2 years old and i was playing with it and suddenly he tried to bite my hand and since then every time i try to touch it tries to attacks me but it plays with my brother and with my whole family normally but with me not .

any body helps me please and tell me what should i do ?!
sherif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How were you 'playing' with it? You need to give more information for anyone to understand what happened and what is happening now.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Please try to describe your interactions over the past week or so, too -- your routine, anything you can think of that might be relevant.

Also, when was your dog last vetted, what was the appt for, and did they check thyroid?
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

it was vetted at 1/12/2012 and i was just touching it's face and body !!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

and i didn't do anything wrong past week i just hits it with a way that doesn't hurt it if it did something wrong !!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherif View Post
and i didn't do anything wrong past week i just hits it with a way that doesn't hurt it if it did something wrong !!
Since we never should hit our dog to train... This may be a big part of the problem. You may have broken a good relationship w/ your dog and they no longer trust or even want to be with you at all. They'd rather bite you and have you back off and away rather than deal with the stress of not knowing the next time you are going to hit him.

Its a slippery road with confusion and lack of clarity when we train using hitting. Its clear to us when we hit (and usually are yelling to explain). But I know my dogs grasp on English is pretty poor, and unless I actually catch them in the act, the perfect timing for learning is gone. Plus, when I'm angry and want to hit, my dogs are so into the WHATISWRONGW/THECRAZYLADY and in no way able to connect my behavior to anything they did (so don't learn)

Where do you live? Can you sign up for some positive based dog classes to learn a better way to train so youbdont have to resort to hitting?

That's all if there is no medical reason, but if this is just happening to you it probably links back to an incident with you.

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-19-2012 at 08:29 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherif View Post
I thihk right here is the crux of your problem. I don't hit my dogs. The most negative physical contact I've done is to lightly flop a leash end on my younger GSD's nose when she kept inappropriately mouthing me and wouldn't stop so she'd associate it with something unpleasant (and that was very temporary, very specific and done immediately upon the negative behavior, then focused on something positive). Otherwise, I've worked hard to get mine to want to please me through positive things and when I simply say "bad dog" because either one of mine did something they knew they weren't supposed to, they act crushed. Very effective, even with my fear aggressive one. I agree with others that positive training would be a good option for you.
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree that hitting the dog (even in a way that "doesn't hurt") is absolutely not an acceptable correction, even when your dog does something bad. It is too slow and too aggressive, so the dog does not associate it with what he did. To him, you're just a crazy person who is threatening him. He does not know that you're only going to hit him lightly every time--you're already hitting him for no reason (in his understanding of the situation), so why should he trust you not to hurt him?

I suspect that when you were playing with him, you accidentally did something that pushed him over the edge and made him decide that he couldn't let you near him anymore. The reason I think that is that he is only aggressive towards you, and only when you try to touch him.

I think you need to hire a trainer, preferably one with positive methods. I doubt more hitting or correction is going to fix this. In the meantime, you can start rebuilding your relationship with the dog by mostly ignoring him, and just tossing treats to him when you're in the room. Don't touch him, don't approach him, don't yell at him or hit him. Just let him learn to relax around you again for awhile.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.