Help REALLY Needed... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lorric
Default Help REALLY Needed...

Hi....I need help with what is becoming a real problem.
Scenario:
My 3 1/2 male GSD Jack is an incredibly docile dog. He used to be outside 90% of the time (his choice) and there was little we could do to coerce him to be inside. Vet, trainers, etc. told us to let him be because there are some dogs that are like that. While intimidating, if anyone has a ball, he is game.
Wanting another dog that would be more "devoted" and hopefully more protective we decided to go for it and took Aggie home at 8 weeks. Aggie is now 7 months old, incredibly devoted to me and also very protective. She has also been the dominant one from the beginning.
PROBLEM: She is very aggressive with Jack and to make things worse, Jack has decided that he now wants to be inside most of the time. Aggie does not share well with others and although I have bought them 2 of everything (Kong, Jolly Ball, Rawhide bones, etc.) Aggie doesn't want Jack to have even 1. For example, when I give Aggie her Kong she takes it but as soon as I give Jack his, she goes after him for it. This goes for most everything. Jack loves to play and I must admit he does tease her at times...literally taking a toy and trying to push it into Aggies face to play if Aggie is just hanging out.
Tonight was the worst. I let Aggie outside and tried to get Jack to go out. At the door I took Jack's collar to try and make him come out with me but Aggie ran to the door and attacked Jack!!! She grabbed his ear and started shaking it like he was a rag doll. Jack was crying and it was horrible!! I immediately put Aggie in her crate even though I know you're not supposed to use it for punishment. She is now crying and whining but I am ignoring her.
Otherwise, Aggie is a wonderful and affectionate dog. The problem is the 2 together and I don't want to exclude Jack. HELP!!!
Thanks!
Lorric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorric View Post
She is very aggressive with Jack and to make things worse, Jack has decided that he now wants to be inside most of the time. Aggie does not share well with others and although I have bought them 2 of everything (Kong, Jolly Ball, Rawhide bones, etc.) Aggie doesn't want Jack to have even 1. For example, when I give Aggie her Kong she takes it but as soon as I give Jack his, she goes after him for it. This goes for most everything. Jack loves to play and I must admit he does tease her at times...literally taking a toy and trying to push it into Aggies face to play if Aggie is just hanging out.
Tonight was the worst. I let Aggie outside and tried to get Jack to go out. At the door I took Jack's collar to try and make him come out with me but Aggie ran to the door and attacked Jack!!! She grabbed his ear and started shaking it like he was a rag doll. Jack was crying and it was horrible!! I immediately put Aggie in her crate even though I know you're not supposed to use it for punishment. She is now crying and whining but I am ignoring her.
Otherwise, Aggie is a wonderful and affectionate dog. The problem is the 2 together and I don't want to exclude Jack. HELP!!!
Thanks!
Is she aggressive or playing really rough? My GSD which is a female wants all the toys both my other dogs have. My older female will not give in to her and has put her in her place, the GSD usually leaves her alone now. The golden lets the GSD get away with a lot, he has showed his teeth a couple times when she was trying to take his toy. Before she came along everything was his. I make sure that a fight doesn't start, but I do let them figure it out for the most part. My GSD also bites the golden's ears and neck, but he has never cried...its her way of playing. So I think what you have is a very mild mannered calm male and a very bold drivey female. It could be worse and he could be fighting back. Maybe work with both of them at the same time then give each dog some alone time with you.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

You say the other dog constantly taunts her...maybe she was putting him in his place? I would talk to Mrs K about this one...she has a Mal that she muzzles around her other dogs (if I read correctly) because it messes with the other dogs until it starts a fight. I think her dogs have an issue because they are all female?? But she could still offer good advice about this
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Jack sounds like a sweetie and being the first dog there, not causing problems. You need to work with Aggie the little monster

I would get a good trainer/behaviorist and have them teach YOU how to correct, work with her behaviors..

If she won't share, well put her in a crate with her toy, let Jack have some peace with his.

What are you doing when she starts in on Jack? I'd be hauling her butt off him and showing your displeasure

In the end, training, getting a trainer/behaviorist, is going to help you and aggie immensely.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

IMO, Aggie needs to be put in her place! It sounds like she's taken on the role as leader of the house.

YOU should be pack leader in your house...and both dogs need to understand that.

I currently have 2 females, both house dogs. They know who is leader in this house and I couldn't/wouldn't tolerate such behavior.

If you can't do it yourself, I would suggest a trainer.

Just a suggestion. Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am not as experienced as some here, and I've never owned more than one dog at a time permanently. But to my eye, Aggie needs training! Jack was there first and should not be harassed. She may always be more dominant than he, but she needs to learn that she is not the boss.

Maybe crate and rotate for a bit? Are you practicing NILIF with her? Take each dog separately out for training and play, and keep aggie on a leash for a bit while around Jack, and allow only short supervised play periods. You can gradually work up to longer periods.

Hopefully more here with multiple dogs will chime in.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsMuse View Post
IMO, Aggie needs to be put in her place! It sounds like she's taken on the role as leader of the house.

YOU should be pack leader in your house...and both dogs need to understand that.

I currently have 2 females, both house dogs. They know who is leader in this house and I couldn't/wouldn't tolerate such behavior.

If you can't do it yourself, I would suggest a trainer.

Just a suggestion. Kat
I agree with this 100%. If y'all remember, I posted a couple months ago about Rey becoming increasingly bully-like to my docile Buddy. I had to start calling her up on it, lest she keep him isolated and pig me up to herself all the time. I started with not allowing her to take over Buddy's "spot" under the kitchen table. She simply isn't allowed to lay there, PERIOD. Then when she tried to take his spot in front of the fireplace while I sat there, I redirected her to sit on the other side of me. Over and over and over. She now does it automatically. Bullying Buddy is not an option or she has to deal with displeasing mama!

And I also suggest to quit letting them have toys out when they're together. Rey is anxious and has been taught when she has anxiety to chew on her Kong. Buddy could care less about her Kong, so it's the only toy allowed out when both dogs are out. If I allowed Buddy's purple spiny ball out with Rey and Buddy in the room, they'd fight over it because Rey would not leave it alone and it's been Buddy's toy for years. So the purple spiny ball only comes out after Rey is crated for the night. Buddy is 15 and doesn't want to play with it really much now, but he still thinks of it as "his."
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with the others. Aggie sounds like an obnoxious puppy (don't worry, all puppies are obnoxious) who is bullying Jack around, and Jack is a sweetie and not attacking her for it! FWIW, I suspect that Aggie's "attack" of Jack was just (inappropriate) play. I have seen a lot of puppies grab ears and pull like that and never seen it aggressively.

The answer is management! I agree that they're not allowed to have toys together. Take them out separately for playing and training, and make sure that Aggie is getting more than enough exercise and play time! If she's not, playing rough with Jack will be a lot more tempting.

When they're loose together, always supervise and if Aggie starts bullying Jack, correct her and redirect her. If Jack seems engaged in the play and Aggie is being nice, then I'd let them do it--but the second she gets too rough, they get separated. Basically, think of yourself like a kindergarten teacher. Jack is too nice to set his own boundaries and put that pup in her place, so you need to do it for him. Teach Aggie that being respectful means she gets to be out and have fun, but being rough and aggressive means time-out.

I would stop her any time she bullies Jack, not just in play. If he's laying down and she tries to steal his spot, move her somewhere else. Teach them both to wait at the door and let Jack go out first, then Aggie. That sort of thing.

It's kind of a lot of work but it does get results. I have 4 dogs, 3 of whom have a tendency to bully and fight, and have fostered a lot of ACDs who tend to go all "dog police" on other dogs and cause fights. If they learn that you control everything and they aren't allowed to boss or bully other dogs, things will get really peaceful and lot more quickly.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.