Gun owner, my dog, scary situation - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
I am curious as to why is it ok for the OP to feel threatened because the guy showed a gun, and yet most folks here don't seem to feel that the guy had a right to feel equally threatened by a large charging barking dog? Just curious?
Probably because this is a dog forum, not a gun forum.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Probably because this is a dog forum, not a gun forum
Probably!

I would certainly feel much more threatened if someone waved / showed a gun at me, than if a dog was charging me. WHY? I'm more experienced around dogs than guns, or people with guns, or even crazy people with guns LOL

As for a dog running towards me if I was in the middle of nowhere? I'd simply stop walking - no use in giving the dog a reason to chase me. Likely, I'd hear someone call out for their dog (as the OP did). If it didn't go back, I still wouldn't move. I'd wait for the owner to come over.

I'm sure it's happened, but the odds of a dog out walking with it's owner running up and charging and barking and then flat out attacking me? I'd go with those odds than a person waving a gun at me.

But, that's just me!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
I am curious as to why is it ok for the OP to feel threatened because the guy showed a gun, and yet most folks here don't seem to feel that the guy had a right to feel equally threatened by a large charging barking dog? Just curious?
He did have a right to feel threatened.

What he did not have a right to do is go up to the OP well after the incident and brandish a weapon.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I read page one and not all the posts in between.

Doesn't sound like he drew it at you, so I'm not sure why you were shaken up other than the fact that your dog could have been shot? I had a friend recently come over to my house, he has a concealed weapons permit. I didn't know, didn't ask, didn't bother me. We started talking guns and he pulled his from his chest holster to show me without warning(I had no idea he carried or owned it at the time); nothing wrong with having a gun around as long as it's not pointed at me!

I may wrongly assume in this situation that it is not an area where dogs are supposed to be off leash? Either way really, a dog charging a man barking gives way for him to interpret it as he wants.

He could have easily told you he was carrying and let that be that, in most places while it is frowned upon, it is legal to disclose and show? a concealed weapon that you're legally carrying. Perhaps he hoped that showing you would make you realize how close you were. Either way he was in no wrong letting you know he had it.

I am taking a CCW class this winter and I'll be getting my permit when I turn 21. I would certainly use it in the same case if a dog was running at me in what I interpreted as aggressive had the dog not responded to a recall. Likely, that's all that saved your mal in this case.

Not sure why the opinion is that this man shouldn't own/carry a gun, sounds like it could have almost "saved" him.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm

Last edited by DJEtzel; 12-04-2012 at 11:32 AM.
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #45 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Other than the guy showing how irresponsible he was - guns can do damage from a distance. A dog must make contact to cause injuries. When he showed the gun and made the statement about shooting the dog the entire incident with the dog was over. He made it a point to find them in the parking lot and make the threat. That to me is more threatening than a dog barking. A person who thinks waving a gun around to make threats, whether he actually intends to use the gun or not,is a good thing is not only irresponsible on his part but rather stupid besides. Another crazy person with a gun could have responded by shooting him. Then we would have a whole other mess. My point is he should never have even shown the gun. He was not in danger and the law here would consider him even doing what he did an assault.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all

Last edited by pyratemom; 12-04-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: to clarify a sentence
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

SOOO ... I'm not trying to start a war here, but I'm confused ...

Some people on here get absolutely livid that a police officer shoots a dog that is charging them ... but most people on this thread are agreeing that they "might" shoot the dog if it charged them ...

What's the difference? A charging dog is still a charging dog ...

Or is the difference in the people who get mad at the police officer, not the same people who would "shoot" the charging dog?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #47 (permalink)

People just do weird things in the mountains. I have seen just plain weirdness on so many occassions during camping and hiking excursions that it can't be dismissed. People do stuff that they wouldn't do in town, referring to the brandishing of a gun. Showing a gun is plain illegal in the manor that guy did. Your dog sounds pretty reasonable if it barks but comes when you call it.
Dr. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what the laws are in the OP's area regarding dangerous dogs - or dogs that are deemed dangerous regarding a specific incident (charging the guy).

But I'm pretty sure it's universal that if you have a license to carry a concealed weapon, and you pull the weapon (after the threat is no longer apparent) you could lose your license.

The guy DID have the right to feel threatened. I feel he would have had the right to shoot the dog had the OP failed to call her dog off (if he were in fear for his life). Again, I don't know the satues in her area so legally it could go one way or the other.

He would not have been justified had he pulled out his weapon and waved it around, or pointed it at the dog..after the fact. If he had searched for the 'threat' with the mindset to simply threaten the OP, then he jumped over the line. If he went to the OP to let her know how close the dog came to being shot, and kept his gun holstered (or in his pocket or where ever he carries) then (to me) it's simply a scolding. Justified or not.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master Member

Legally it was brandishing and depending up the state and the location within the state (state/local/national park, school area, etc) the fines (and possibly even jail time) vary.

This even applies in open carry states. Disclosing a weapon with the intent to intimidate when one is not under imminent threat is illegal as well as grossly irresponsible and foolish.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
SOOO ... I'm not trying to start a war here, but I'm confused ...

Some people on here get absolutely livid that a police officer shoots a dog that is charging them ... but most people on this thread are agreeing that they "might" shoot the dog if it charged them ...

What's the difference? A charging dog is still a charging dog ...

Or is the difference in the people who get mad at the police officer, not the same people who would "shoot" the charging dog?
I don't think they are the same people. I would not shoot a dog. I don't think police should shoot dogs unless they are actually in danger either. There are other ways to fend off a charging dog - pepper spray for instance.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.