Gun owner, my dog, scary situation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

I do use leashes in many areas especially during training. However, I trail run and mountain run a lot in places where we are unlikely to see anyone and where the dogs really enjoy sniffing about and being dogs. In some areas, leashes for all three dogs would be impractical if not unsafe. So, my goal is off leash reliability. I thought we were there, or at least well past the 90% stage, but apparently I still have work to do. That, and my being more proactive with reigning the dog in when I first see someone ahead of us.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hi there,

I am sorry that this scary thing happened. That would really shake me up too. I like to off leash walking and hiking with Rafi too. He has an excellent recall but, because of past experiences with my dogs and people and other dogs, he is trained to stay by my side when we see a person or a dog, until I release him. I trained a "Back" (get behind me) and a "Stay with me" command and use one or both of those when we see other people or dogs when he's off leash. He has learned it so well now that he will drop back on his own.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No need to beat yourself up.

Show me someone who says they have never had an incident with their dog, and I will show you someone in denial

Keep training, keep doing what you are doing, and enjoy the great outdoors you have over there, even if Alaska does attract its share of kooks.

(I can say that, because Florida attracts them, too )
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Muskeg, if I was you I would have Eddie Haskeled the guy to death and the moment he turned his back, I would have called the police. In fact, I think you still should because this guy sounds like a accident waiting to happen. Had he pulled his gun while it was happening or if he said, he was armed and taped on his weapon that might have been a little different. (that could maybe be taken as some unfriendly advice) But displaying a gun in the manner you describe, is reckless conduct.

I worked in a gun shop before and have seen people like him, people who hope someone will give them a reason (even if it's their own minds) to use their guns. I mean they do stuff like leave their doors unlocked, hoping someone will brake in. Also to be considered, he might have been out stalking someone or is just a plain nut.

Regardless of what set the event in motion, I think you should report the incident to the proper authorities. You might save someones life.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Packman is right: No responsible gun owner behaves like that and this guy is looking for a reason to shoot at something or someone so he can feel more manly.

(As if being able to pull the trigger on a handgun is MANLY. I'm fat, female, and 52 and I can pull a trigger just fine. And since I'm not all worried about looking macho, my plain old shotgun would easily take out any idiot brandishing a pistol. Guns aren't for posing or waving around. They're for making meat out of something alive.)
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

to the OP. disregard this La-La land, Disney point of view.
you were threaten with a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post

>>>>> Moral of the story- we all say stupid things under stress, and I doubt the guy was really, in actuality, a second away from shooting your dog. Not to mention that in most states, to my knowledge, threatening you (or your property) by brandishing his weapon was completely illegal.

I think you just caught the guy off guard and he wanted to give you an earful. <<<<<

Lesson learned on your part.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

so your dog barked. you called your dog and your dog came to
you immediately. that's well trained. you see the guy later
and your dogs ignored the guy. he was flat out wrong for showing
you his gun. if the samething happened to in the manner you
described it. when he showed me his gun i would have shot him.
end of threat. definitely report what happened.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Disney land point of view? Keep dreaming. When people are startled, they say stupid things. And like I said, you even quoted, brandishing is illegal. Nothing la-la Disney about that.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Disney land point of view? Keep dreaming. When people are startled, they say stupid things. And like I said, you even quoted, brandishing is illegal. Nothing la-la Disney about that.
When stupid people let their gun do their stupid talking they are an accident waiting to happen. If you want to carry a gun, then you have to have a measure of self-control. Showing people your gun and telling them that you would have shot their dog, should be enough to get that conceal-carry permit suspended. Being stupid with guns is like raising stupid to a power ie. stupid squared.

Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 12-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where did I say I disagreed with that, Selzer? They guy was "one second from shooting the dog?" BS. If that was true, the gun would have been drawn, aimed, and finger on the trigger when the dog first barked. No... this was just an idiot who was startled by the dog and had a few mins to stew about it while walking up to them later in the parking lot (or wherever the ski change happened). The fact that he brandished his weapon was wrong and illegal, as I said in my first response.

This guy was a moron who wanted to pull a power trip and give the OP an earful. Nothing more. Both people and all dogs got to walk away alive. That's probably a good thing.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.