Split up my First Fight.... (Lab and Pit) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Split up my First Fight.... (Lab and Pit)

So as many of you know, we have a 14 year old lab and a 5 year old pit bull who can't be together due to same sex aggression.

Last night, I was going in the kitchen and I thought I'd shut the gate all the way.
Well, Ozzy came through (he can fit through the gate bars), and it swung the gate open when he did.
I couldn't shut it in time, and before I knew it, they were latched onto one another.

Sania was screaming and snapping, Gracie was trying to rip her face off, and the other dogs were trying to jump in.

I managed to get them close to the gate, but Gracie was latched onto Sania's cheek and Sania had Gracie's entire head in her mouth. I had Sania between my legs and trying to close the gate between them wasn't doing anything, so the only thing I could think of was to try and fight them off of one another.

I had Sania between my legs (not pulling on her, afraid it would do more damage) and punching Gracie in the head as hard as I could.
Eventually I got Gracie to let go, where I promptly slammed the gate shut between them before either one could latch onto the other again.

I stood there for a second in shock, then just fell down and started bawling. I was pretty much vibrating I was shaking so bad.
It was absolutely terrifying.
The other 2 times they got into it, I wasn't here for it.

I managed to come out without getting bitten (miraculously).

Sania has a hole on the side of her neck, and a small one on her cheek and under her eye.

I think Gracie got the worst of it. She has a fairly deep hole right between her eyes and scrapes under her jaw. She also managed to split her toenail somehow....
I've been keeping their wounds clean with warm water, along with antiseptic spray and betadine.

Considering it's Thanksgiving, let me say- I'm thankful that it wasn't worse than it is, and that I still have all of my appendages.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a bad situation. Why do you keep two dogs that have proven (3 times now) that there is no way they can safely be around one another?
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh geez, that would be terrifying! I'm so glad you're not hurt and the dogs didn't get it worse than they did. I don't know if I could handle a situation where two of my dogs had to be separated so kudos for even managing that on a daily basis.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

They really need oral antibiotics and quite possibly drain tubes if they are going to heal.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We have gates throughout the house to keep them apart (supposed to, anyway).
It's stressful and a huge hassle, but we figure Sania won't be around for too much longer given her age, so it's a temporary arrangement....

Keeping dogs with same sex aggression in the same household isn't something that should be taken lightly....

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
They really need oral antibiotics and quite possibly drain tubes if they are going to heal.
We're going to get them to the vet, but I'm home alone right now and my mom can't afford to take them both in for emergency visits. (Getting them both to the vet will be a whole-nother adventure....)

Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I understand.
I've just seen nasty wounds develop from small punctures because of how dog's skin is structured. You tend to only see the puncture and not the damage under the skin where the germs get trapped.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was going to put New Skin on them (liquid bandage) but remembered that punctures can get infected underneath, even if the top part heals.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why oh why do they always have to do stuff like this on a holiday?

I'm glad you escaped injury, even if they didn't... I'm sure that if the wounds were serious enough to warrant an emergency visit you can't afford, you'd already be there... so just keep the wounds clean and open until you can see the vet.

I'm a little confused, though... do you and your mom and these three dogs all live together, or are you visiting? I don't know why it's bugging me, but for some reason I thought Ozzy was your only dog.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I was going to put New Skin on them (liquid bandage) but remembered that punctures can get infected underneath, even if the top part heals.
ESPECIALLY if the top part heals. That is how an abscess starts--the bacteria get injected under the skin, and then the skin heals over the top, and bacteria and pus build up, causing swelling.

If the wound is kept open, the pus can drain out of the body instead of building up inside.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.