Split up my First Fight.... (Lab and Pit) - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Well, I'll just say consider yourself lucky and keep it at that! If you've had no bloodbaths then you don't really understand what I'm talking about. It should not take someone with marine training and martial arts training just to keep two dogs from going at each other's throats all the time.

I think dogs like to decide amongst themselves what the heirachy is going to be (I mean, isn't this your point in your other thread?) so I can intervene all I want but if there's two going to constantly duke it out for that top spot then that's the way it is, it's not really up to us humans is it? I don't tolerate that level of aggression and fighting so I don't allow it to happen, plain and simple, but I am not kidding myself into thinking that I actually make the dogs get along and accept what positions in the hierarchy *I* have chosen for them. If two dogs can't live together without constantly picking fights then they just don't live together at my house. I don't have time to be constantly observing and analyzing dog behavior and all the "what ifs", it's just not safe and not allowed, period.
First, capital M.. it is Marine, not marine... "marine" is offensive.

My comment was just a response to "my 6+ 250+ husband". Us small guys take that a a cheap shot.

I don't have to use any of that to deal with a dog. Well, I've used jiujitsu on a few occasions. Its actually very helpful in catching a dog on a long bite... knowing how to redirect kinetic energy and all... really the most important part of catching a dog.

I refuse to accept two dogs can't live together, and have found all of it is resolvable thus far. And we *have* had real fights, bloody messy, staple-requiring, near-death fights. But I learned from it, largely from learning to recognize the nuances of dog behavior, and I simply avoid it before it starts. And now we have a happy peaceful pack.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
There are dogs in which it never stops. You could sit around until doomsday and it does not stop.
I put forth that you have simply not yet found the solution. Color me an optimist
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #53 (permalink)

No need to get all defensive.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
There are dogs in which it never stops. You could sit around until doomsday and it does not stop.

This. And some day there will be a bloodbath. In any multiple dog home it can happen instantly.

For instance...one day I had a little brain damaged foster dog and another bigger foster dog we had instantly went for it. I was quick and literally punted the bigger dog off the little dog. It was so strange and I was not expecting it, when I managed to get the little dog safe, I examined it and there was bruising but thanks to my reaction, no broken skin. The bruising is what hurts, anyway, the broken skin just lets germs in. The small dog limped for a few days afterward.

By hunter's advice, I should have let the two back together until what...the bigger dog killed the small dog?
There's times when crap just happens and two dogs are not going to get along; if put together, ever, one will die.
If you were not on the opposite side of the country, I'd show you how to stop it and prove to you the *CAN* get along.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
No need to get all defensive.
I'm not. I was just pointing out:

a) something I'm sure you didn't realize
b) something you perhaps didn't realize
c) clarifying
d) my opinion
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for the offer...but living with multiple dogs for the past...well, my whole life, really, has taught me otherwise.

Quote:
largely from learning to recognize the nuances of dog behavior, and I simply avoid it before it starts.
Your video in another thread would seem to prove otherwise.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
I'm not. I was just pointing out:

a) something I'm sure you didn't realize
b) something you perhaps didn't realize
c) clarifying
d) my opinion
I'm talking about all the Marine, martial arts, height/weight taking offense stuff. No offense but it doesn't matter to me or impress me one way or the other. I don't want to have to physically overpower my dogs to maintain order and respect in this house. If one dog is consistently instigating fights then he no longer has the freedom to start such fights, end of story. I guess the difference is you are genuinely interested in all the nuances of dog behavior and I am not. I like to foster dogs and be involved in rescue and I cannot do that to the capacity I would like when I have dogs going at each others' throats and requiring supervision and intervention, even if it is only temporary (we'll assume for a moment you are right and can somehow convince two large intact males that have a history of fighting for blood that they can be friends again). It's just not a priority for me, but having a cohesive, calm household where I can safely move foster dogs in and out without worrying about fights is my priority and the fastest most effective way to achieve this is make sure fights can't happen. I'm sorry but I'm inclined to take the advice of several people who know me personally and know the dogs involved (and have known and trained with these dogs for years and/or *bred* the dogs in question) and have decades of experience owning and training this breed over one person on the Internet who has never seen either dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 11-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Thanks for the offer...but living with multiple dogs for the past...well, my whole life, really, has taught me otherwise.

Your video in another thread would seem to prove otherwise.
I avoid fights.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I avoid fights.
Quote:
And we *have* had real fights, bloody messy, staple-requiring, near-death fights.
By your own admission, fights aren't always avoidable.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
By your own admission, fights aren't always avoidable.
Any time there is more then one dog in a house there is a chance of a fight breaking out. We got in the middle of quite a few when we were younger. Knock on wood, I haven't experienced it recently, but I'm ready to move when and if needed.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.