Split up my First Fight.... (Lab and Pit) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

When we had 4 shepherds in the home at once we had 3 females and one male. All was good forever until one day- there was ONE fight. It was all one way- Crazy White did not even defend herself but kept trying to hide. It was fast too. Blood was everywhere (it was a lot to get it off the walls, sofa and curtain later). We loaded each dog into a car and one kid in each car and headed to the vet. I was afraid to put them in crates in the same vehicle! We took them into the ER vet separately (I called ahead) and they took them into separate rooms. I was traumatized. The dogs? Well we muzzled the aggressor initially....but they went right back to cuddling together. It was *very* odd. Never another incident in the house ever.

I however did not recover so easily! I feel for you- it is SO scary!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think it's horrible that your lab is being exposed to this at 14 years old with the caveat "she won't be with us much longer." Really? You are NOT managing this and can't manage this or this incident and the previous two would not have happened. The right thing to do is to find a place for the pit NOW and consider getting another AFTER the lab has passed. Allowing the possibility that your 14 year old lab is going to die in the grips of a pitbull rather than of old age is just irresponsible. Things will be better for you and your mom, your pit and your lab if you find one of them a new home.
tropicalsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalsun View Post
I think it's horrible that your lab is being exposed to this at 14 years old with the caveat "she won't be with us much longer." Really? You are NOT managing this and can't manage this or this incident and the previous two would not have happened. The right thing to do is to find a place for the pit NOW and consider getting another AFTER the lab has passed. Allowing the possibility that your 14 year old lab is going to die in the grips of a pitbull rather than of old age is just irresponsible. Things will be better for you and your mom, your pit and your lab if you find one of them a new home.
who said the pitt was at fault?

Living with bitches is interesting. I completely disagree with your opinion on this. it sounds like the lab didn't take too much abuse.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalsun View Post
I disagree with this too. Accidents happen and are not done on purpose. People every where have dogs separated for this very reason. Is it ideal? No, it actually takes hard work and dedication. Growing up we had this in our home. Yes there were fights and vet visits, but nothing really serious(thank god). Everyone of our dogs grew old in the household and died of old age....not one of us in the house even thought about getting rid of one of them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think it's wrong for us to have the mentality that Sania isn't going to be around much longer. It's the truth.

Overall, our dogs live a stress-free life. They don't try to get at each other through the gate; the micromanaging is a hassle at worst, except for when accidents like this happen. Which is what it was- a complete accident.

I don't even know who was'at fault.'
It all happened so quick, all I could think of was "GET THEM APART."

I just thank my lucky stars that it didn't end up worse than it was.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Very similar thing happened here with my two dogs, except I did end up in the ER despite waiting for an opportunity I thought I could separate them and not get bit. Although when I got bit by accident it stopped the fight long enough for us to get the dogs apart (in our case it took one person per dog and if either of us had let go at that point they would have been right back at it). When I got back from the ER I found two punctures on one of the dogs so I cleaned the wounds and put him on oral antibiotics. I would leave the bite wounds alone as long as they've been cleaned and are punctures (not tears) and call the vet for some antibiotics. If the vet will call in a scrip I think you can get them cheap or even free at some pharmacies.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

To me, fights are just another day in the dog world. Granted, usually there's not a lot of bloodshed but it happens from time to time.
Anyone who owns more than one dog had better not believe they'll always get along 100% of the time.
You are prepared for the worst, but take the best happily and always keep in mind, they are animals.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeGSD View Post
Sounds like a bad situation. Why do you keep two dogs that have proven (3 times now) that there is no way they can safely be around one another?
honestly.. **** happens. My boss has a really serious and substantial male as a house dog that co exists with a neutered male. This dog will rip puppies and correct other dogs BADLY if they get in his face, with little warning. Outside, there is a BM who is the cockiest dog you've ever met for sport work. I don't think he plays with other dogs, he'll mount any female and mostly fight a lot of males, and throw puppies across the house. Not a dog that cares if somebody is near his kennel, and doesn't growl and flip out. He's just used for sport work, and coexists by himself for rounds upstairs with his owner. Then theres a puppy, and a year old dog.

These dogs get rotated throughout the house on a daily basis and to my knowledge there has been 3 fights between a few of them on different occasions. Sometimes the dogs break the gates. Can't expect OP to put up a concrete wall. Most owners can handle their dogs, although it's a scary and traumatizing thing to see both of your dogs fight. Some dogs are so well connected to their owners and great with their obedience you can usually call them off each other if they're just fighting in defence rather than fighting to try to kill each other.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wanted to add if my bitches who get along great right now, the 3 year old is biddable and just wants to party all the time with the puppy who is 6months - who I will not be spaying until 2-3 years of age for development, don't get along in the future I'm not going to spay the puppy quicker than expected or get rid of her just because she can't co exist with the 3 y/o. If it they don't mingle, they don't mingle! Just keep them separated.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Once upon a time, I had two of my previous dogs scheduled for a visit to the groomer. I got everything done and loaded them in the Explorer, and was on my way, when I realized I was about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

This is so foreign.

They were getting groomed that day, so as I passed the fair grownds, I figured what the heck?

I pulled over and let the dogs out of the back. We walked way in the back around the baseball fields. I had an old bitch and a yearling dog-pup with me, and they were not related and I thought nothing of letting them go together.

Well the youngster plowed into the old bitch as he was passing by, and she gave him a quick nip to let him know he shouldn't have done that. Only the youngster wasn't taking to being corrected by anything with four feet at that point, and turned and laid into her. Uhg. I had no fences, no gates no leashes, no extra person, and I had about 150 pounds of dog teet and claws to get apart.

I put my hand in there to catch the collar. EH! Wrong answer. Someone got me good. I still have an inch long scar on my hand, and that happened about six years ago. Well anyhow, thinking how that would leave a mark, I hiked back to the 4x4, and got in, and pointed at my fighting dogs, and fired it up and pointed in there direction and just drove right to them.

For some reason, the idea that I would be driving in my car gave them enough pause that I was able to open the back, open a crate, and with one fluid motion sweep up the aggressive pup and deposit him in his crate. It may have helped that the old bitch went underneath the vehicle briefly, but I let no dust fall on the tailgate and bumper in getting them safely crated.

With blood dripping down my arm, I called the groomer and cancelled, and drove to my father's where we got each maniac out one at a time and checked them all over. Then I drove them home, and put them in their kennels and then I drove to the hospital.

Accidents happen. I did not get rid of either of those dogs because of that moment of stupidity on my part.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.