Split up my First Fight.... (Lab and Pit) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ozzy's my only dog; the other 4 are my mom's and I live with her.

And yes, if either one suffered more than just a few small puncture wounds, we would have gone to the vet right then. I've been making sure they can stay open and can air out/drain.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Why oh why do they always have to do stuff like this on a holiday?
Yes, or 3 day weekends. If there's a 3 day weekend coming up you can bet someone's gonna get sick or hurt!

Kono I'm glad you did not get bitten, either
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You live with the dogs, so it is like they are your dogs, I mean how you feel about them.

Watching two dogs you care about trying to kill each other is one of the worst experiences. You have adrenalin going, and are in danger, and the dogs are getting hurt -- anxiety, as well as physical exertion, and it happens so fast. I so understand the crying afterwards. I usually start shaking and get all weak after the fact. I worry about heart attack. This year I have had a minor scrimmage -- no one hurt between Bear and Milla, and a pretty good fight between Jenna and Ninja. But it has been pretty quiet for a couple of years anyway. I guess I let my guard down a little, or I got better and making sure they were indeed separated.

Why keep dogs that are willing to kill each other? Well, the 14 year old Labrador, it would be kinder to euthanize that dog than to rehome it at this point. It is true, the dog does not have that much longer to live, and there is just something not right about taking the best years a dog has to offer and then give them up when they need us the most. As for the pit bull, you might be able to find a home for a pit that has exhibited SSA, but it is still hard. I am with you on keeping them separated and managing the situation.

It is not a job for everyone, and if people just cannot manage it, then the PB, would probably be the one I would rehome, Or I would Euth the lab. It is hard either way. We are talking family members here, when you look at the whole picture and the total insecurity of rehoming a dog you love, well I can understand totally why people would just manage the situation.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Most of our big emergencies with the animals always seem to come up when we have something special planned.We've had several nice trips planned,but every time one of the dogs needed expensive vet care. I guess we aren't meant to go.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've never had to split up a dog fight with MY dogs ... but I've split up 3 major dog fights at off leash parks (while the owners stand there and point and scream).

It is a HUGE adrenaline rush, and it is terrifying.

Crying is a completely normal response - you're releasing all those emotions that you just held in check and then everything is safe ... BAM out the come ... no stopping them. And you shouldn't.

I didn't cry at the dog park, I just took it out on the owners ... LOL ...

I'm happy to read that all is well with you tho, no bites, and hopefully everything will be fine with the dogs ...
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gracie is our foster failure dog.

For the first 4 months, they got along fine. After my mom had grown fed up with trying to find a home for her (everyone who called was only concerned about her adoption fee), she decided to adopt her. Not a week after her adoption was official, Sania went after her and they haven't been able to be together since.

If I manage to find a place before Sania's time here is up, she'll be coming with me.

When we had Aiden and Yoda (SSA also) they were both 3 years old. We didn't want to have to manage them for 10 years, so we found Yoda a good home.

If Sania wasn't 13 when they started fighting, I don't think we would have kept Gracie.

We can manage them, and the gates have helped make it easier, but sometimes accidents happen...
Like you said, after there's peace for a while, you kind of let your guard down.... And the second your guard goes down, even for a second, all **** breaks loose....

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've only serious fights when we had one of our dogs Tova here,who was very dog aggressive.She was passed up many times for adoption and I considered euthanizing her,but she did find a home where there are no other dogs and she has 2 cats and a bunch of horses to keep her busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You live with the dogs, so it is like they are your dogs, I mean how you feel about them.

Watching two dogs you care about trying to kill each other is one of the worst experiences.

It is not a job for everyone, and if people just cannot manage it, then the PB, would probably be the one I would rehome, Or I would Euth the lab. It is hard either way. We are talking family members here, when you look at the whole picture and the total insecurity of rehoming a dog you love, well I can understand totally why people would just manage the situation.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You're absolutely right.
Although they're my mom's dogs, I still love them all dearly as if they were my own.
I grew up with two of them (Sania and our other senior) and I love Gracie to bits. Aiden is more like my brother. I love him, but I only like him sometimes, haha.

The only reason I make the distinction between 'her dogs' and 'my dog' is that she pays for their care and I pay for Ozzy's.
Other than that, they're all loved just as much as I would if they were 'mine.'

Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I take my hat off to you, you handled an absolutely terrifying situation as well as anyone could ... and I'm sure the majority of us would have also ended up bawling ... that's really frightening!!! Living with two bitches that don't get along can be extremely difficult, especially in your situation where the dogs must be kept separated at all times, both indoors and outside.

While I've always heard that bitches will fight to the death while males will fight for dominance, I have two males that I swear would fight to the death if they could ... one getting the other down has never stopped them, they just kept ripping into each other. Toys are their fight triggers so I ban toy playing in the house and they get along fine. I keep them separated outdoors where toy playing is always allowed.

Anyway, I'm glad you and Ozzy weren't injured and hope the two girls' injuries mend without problems. Why is it dogs never seem to need an emergency appointment with a vet until after closing hours necessitating a trip to the ER ... Murphy's Law?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Breaking up your first dog fight is terrifying! Sounds like you were able to keep a clear head which is better than what I did and I'm glad you weren't bit. Kudos to you for keeping both dogs- we have both of ours, too and it isn't easy keeping them separated all of the time.
King&Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.