Not a good walk today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Not a good walk today

So, my dog is 7 months old. She had her first puppy class trainig 2 months ago it went well. Well, today my husband and I took her for a walk, we live by the woods/creek so people often bring their dogs there to run aroud leash free. I do the same. Today, Arexa was running around doing her thing, and these two teenagers were just entreing the woods, Arexa's fur went up and she started barking and circling around them, it almost looked like she was nipping but she was about 20 inches away from the teenagers. She wouldn't listen to me and my husband to leave them alone. The guys were nice and they weren't saying anything they kept walkning ahead. The dog ignored them at first when they were walknig way ahead but when they got about 25 feet from us thats when she lost it. I was so scared thinking that she would bite them! Arexa will be taking another training class after thanksgiving, any thoughts on what kind of class would be good at her age? Do you think she is starting to have aggression problem? Was that fear agression?..She wasnt running away from the guys but instead at them..
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Speaking from someone who has 2 reactive GSDs, not an expert, I wouldn't walk Arexa off leash until you have total control.
Each time she has an outburst like that, it is just practice for more of it.
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
Speaking from someone who has 2 reactive GSDs, not an expert, I wouldn't walk Arexa off leash until you have total control.
Each time she has an outburst like that, it is just practice for more of it.
Yes, thats what I told hubby today, no more off leash walking until she gets some serious training, I don't want her to bite anyone.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can also use a long line until she is obedience trained.
k9carrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Shadow was like that at first, she was also a "prong" puppy according to the trainer (shutzhund trainer). I was more stubborn that she, but after at minimum of 30 min -1 hour a day walking in the areas that caused those reactions she became desensitized to that type of issues, without a prong. She actually grew to a point where she tolerated almost everyone, including living in a home with a daycare having people come in and out all the time.
Nikisconfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9carrie View Post
You can also use a long line until she is obedience trained.
A long line is good to teach recall on. As for training, if you're interested in working a sport such as Schutzhund, I would look into a club in your area.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

My rescue male can be confrontational like that. My behaviorist trainer recommends positive counterconditioning in steps. Example: Calm stranger appears, throws down yummy treat, leaves. repeat, repeat, repeat. Then, stranger appears, throws down yummy treat, just stands there. repeat etc. There's more to it than that, but that's the idea.
StephenV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

keep her leashed, train and socialize. how much time
are you spending training and socializing?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have a back clip harness and a long nylon lunge line that we let our 6 month old drag around when we are at the beach or in a field. You could try that and its long enough that its always within reach of mine or my husband's grab. We also will call him to us randomly and treat him for coming and then send him back to play but I am no where near comfortable with letting him off leash yet.
Mrs.P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
keep her leashed, train and socialize. how much time
are you spending training and socializing?

We dont go to dog park anymore beacause she was attacked there twice, I take her to the ranch and there is a small dog park there that usually has 2 dogs, she behaves well in the park and on walks she does't throw herself like that at people at all, this is something new I saw today and it kinda shocked me, she is usually friendly to everyone, I don't know what got into her. She trusts women immidietely though, training can't come soon enough My biggest hope is that it wasn't fear aggression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.