German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Not a good walk today (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/194846-not-good-walk-today.html)

julie87 11-21-2012 07:29 PM

Not a good walk today

So, my dog is 7 months old. She had her first puppy class trainig 2 months ago it went well. Well, today my husband and I took her for a walk, we live by the woods/creek so people often bring their dogs there to run aroud leash free. I do the same. Today, Arexa was running around doing her thing, and these two teenagers were just entreing the woods, Arexa's fur went up and she started barking and circling around them, it almost looked like she was nipping but she was about 20 inches away from the teenagers. She wouldn't listen to me and my husband to leave them alone. The guys were nice and they weren't saying anything they kept walkning ahead. The dog ignored them at first when they were walknig way ahead but when they got about 25 feet from us thats when she lost it. I was so scared thinking that she would bite them! :( Arexa will be taking another training class after thanksgiving, any thoughts on what kind of class would be good at her age? Do you think she is starting to have aggression problem? Was that fear agression?..She wasnt running away from the guys but instead at them..

Dotty 11-21-2012 07:39 PM

Speaking from someone who has 2 reactive GSDs, not an expert, I wouldn't walk Arexa off leash until you have total control.
Each time she has an outburst like that, it is just practice for more of it.

julie87 11-21-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotty (Post 2636145)
Speaking from someone who has 2 reactive GSDs, not an expert, I wouldn't walk Arexa off leash until you have total control.
Each time she has an outburst like that, it is just practice for more of it.

Yes, thats what I told hubby today, no more off leash walking until she gets some serious training, I don't want her to bite anyone.

k9carrie 11-21-2012 07:54 PM

You can also use a long line until she is obedience trained.

Nikisconfuzed 11-21-2012 07:59 PM

My Shadow was like that at first, she was also a "prong" puppy according to the trainer (shutzhund trainer). I was more stubborn that she, but after at minimum of 30 min -1 hour a day walking in the areas that caused those reactions she became desensitized to that type of issues, without a prong. She actually grew to a point where she tolerated almost everyone, including living in a home with a daycare having people come in and out all the time.

KatsMuse 11-21-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9carrie (Post 2636155)
You can also use a long line until she is obedience trained.

A long line is good to teach recall on. As for training, if you're interested in working a sport such as Schutzhund, I would look into a club in your area.

:) Kat

StephenV 11-21-2012 08:36 PM

My rescue male can be confrontational like that. My behaviorist trainer recommends positive counterconditioning in steps. Example: Calm stranger appears, throws down yummy treat, leaves. repeat, repeat, repeat. Then, stranger appears, throws down yummy treat, just stands there. repeat etc. There's more to it than that, but that's the idea.

doggiedad 11-21-2012 08:49 PM

keep her leashed, train and socialize. how much time
are you spending training and socializing?

Mrs.P 11-21-2012 10:34 PM

We have a back clip harness and a long nylon lunge line that we let our 6 month old drag around when we are at the beach or in a field. You could try that and its long enough that its always within reach of mine or my husband's grab. We also will call him to us randomly and treat him for coming and then send him back to play but I am no where near comfortable with letting him off leash yet.

julie87 11-21-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 2636192)
keep her leashed, train and socialize. how much time
are you spending training and socializing?

We dont go to dog park anymore beacause she was attacked there twice, I take her to the ranch and there is a small dog park there that usually has 2 dogs, she behaves well in the park and on walks she does't throw herself like that at people at all, this is something new I saw today and it kinda shocked me, she is usually friendly to everyone, I don't know what got into her. She trusts women immidietely though, training can't come soon enough :) My biggest hope is that it wasn't fear aggression.