Recently Adopted GSD-Extreme Protectiveness - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #71 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I will take the word of two different trainers both experienced, well respected, good recomendations one from a trusted 501(c)3 rescue, the other from my vet.. over random internet people. When they both tell me isolating for two weeks is BAD then I feel the need to question that tool. I can see situations where it might be helpful but I can also see how it can be used wrong and could be harmful.
The "shutdown" or "settling in" period does not involve isolating a dog for two weeks. If that is the take-home message after reading the instructions for the process, maybe it needs to be re-written in order to emphasize that this is NOT about isolation.

I actually think it is well-written the way it is, and it makes perfect sense to me. However, we have to take into account all levels of reading comprehension, dog-savvy, etc. Some folks simply get overwhelmed by a whole page of information and sort of skim through looking for keywords, and "isolation" might be a word that pushes buttons.

Shepherdmom, did you read it all the way through? What gave you the impression that the method entails two weeks of "isolation"? I'm honestly curious. The write-up does mention periods of isolation in order to help the dog be comfortable by himself and prevent separation anxiety, but did you take that to mean the dog is to be totally isolated the whole two weeks?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

I'm curious, too, where SM got the idea a dog is completely isolated...because if you read the below (I bolded some parts) you see the dog is anything but isolated!

Quote:
I take it out on a leash (so I donít have to correct it ..I donít have that right yet!), I give it exercise time in the yard,
I do no training at all, just fun exercise and maybe throw some toys for fun, leash the dog if you donít have a fence outside. But I DO NOT leave my yard, AT ALL.
No car rides, no other dogs, (unless crated beside them), no pet stores, no WALKS even, nothing but me, my home, my yard. (Unless of course the dog needs to go to the veterinarian)
Believe me dogs can live two weeks without walks. Walks are stressful for there is so much coming at you! And the new person you have no clue who they are yet. The dog may react to something and we start correcting it with the leash and we just installed a VERY STRESSFUL moment to the dog!
TEACH the dog by doing the shut down, that YOU are the one to look to, that you are now here for the dog! He can
trust in you and look to you as its new leader!!
In the house I have the dog out only for about 20 minutes post exercise/yard times.
And, ALWAYS on a leash.

Then PUT THE DOG AWAY. Let it absorb and think.
I do not introduce the dogs for these two weeks, they can be side by side in the crates, (not nose to nose for they can feel defensive) . Some dogs will bond instantly with the other dogs if we donít bond FIRST with the dog, and this can lead to some other issues, as the dog will look to the other dog(s) for guidance and not YOU!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #73 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Please explain, in your opinion, exactly what the 2 week "'shutdown" program involves.
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.
Rather than answer everyones messages seperately I'm going to try and answer all with the same message.

First off yes, I read the entire two week shut down, I also forwarded it to the trainer exactly as it was posted here. I also went out to other sites and read several versions of it, which all pretty much say the same thing. Put dog in crate, let dog out to play, go potty, and to eat. Otherwise keep dog in crate away from action, so dog can watch and process what is going on. Am I misunderstanding? If I am maybe it should be re-worded. Because the other people I posted it too picked up on the exact same thing I did without any prompting from me.

Please understand I'm not trashing the entire two week shut down, I think it has some really good points and it is a tool like any other if used properly with the right dog might be helpful, but if used improperly on a needy dog it could be damaging. Which is why I'm saying someone without experience, or with some experience like me (not an expert) should talk to their rescues and trainers to find out what they recommend and how it should be modified for the dog they are adopting.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but after a bad experience myself... I want to make sure I do everything I can to get it right.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #74 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hope the op can ascertain what most of us mean, 'cause the theory's a good one.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

"Needy" dogs need it even more..."needy" is.not a trait to encourage.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #76 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
"Needy" dogs need it even more..."needy" is.not a trait to encourage.
So you lock them up in a crate and make them watch for two weeks?

Nope not happening in my house. This is how my needy dogs get treated.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

It is not like that and we've all tried to explain it, and you refuse to acknowledge that...after everyone has tried.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

This is the last of our own personal dogs we did a "two week shut down" due to his horrible past and situation when we got him.

And this is just days into the "shut down". Look what a miserable poor dog he is, all isolated! How tragic is this?

(so sad and lonesome!!!!)

You can continue to choose deliberately to misunderstand and distort it, that's not our issue, though. And advising people to avoid it based on your distortions is really a disservice to them and their dogs.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #79 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This is the last of our own personal dogs we did a "two week shut down" due to his horrible past and situation when we got him.

And this is just days into the "shut down". Look what a miserable poor dog he is, all isolated! How tragic is this?

(so sad and lonesome!!!!)

You can continue to choose deliberately to misunderstand and distort it, that's not our issue, though. And advising people to avoid it based on your distortions is really a disservice to them and their dogs.
Beautiful dog!

Please quote where I have told people to avoid the two week shut down? You know that I had a bad experience, and that is how I found this board, so I made sure when I got Tasha to ask very specific questions on how to introduce and how to make things as smooth as possible for her. I wanted to make sure and get it right. I am sharing what I was told.

I have said repeatedly that I am not attacking the shut down. I am not and have never claimed to be an expert. I am just sharing what I have been told by the experts I talked to and am suggesting that the OP talk to their rescue experts.

As a rescue yourself, you know the dogs you place and the people you are placing them with. Wouldn't you rather have them call you, than ask for help from random people on the internet who were not involved in the situation and might not have all the facts?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

?? What is this if not an attack?
Quote:
So you lock them up in a crate and make them watch for two weeks?
That's like saying prong collars are "vicious torture devices". It's not only unfair it's extremely inaccurate.

And that's the vein in which you have referred to the two week shut down every time you discuss it. All your comment tells me is you still don't understand what it's about, or how it works.
I posted the photos to show you that it's not about isolation, far far from it. I'm sad you still refer to it as such, and, again, it's totally inaccurate for you to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.