Aggression to Cat with Toddler in House - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Aggression to Cat with Toddler in House

Magnum, a 3yr old GSD mix (lab probably), was eating peanut butter and kibble-filled Kong toy when the cat walked up to join in. (The cat will eat dog food and dog will eat cat food.) Magnum suddenly started growling and biting the cat who is usually his friend. They have had tiffs before where the cat beats up dog if he is picking on our other cat or Magnum growled at cat because the cat eats food dropped by the toddler before the dog is allowed in the dining room. Magnum is great with the toddler and usually the cats. I am concerned now about him snapping at the kid around food, which he has never done yet. Magnum has been food crazy since the toddler started dropping food around the house. I think that is the root of the problem. He has been eating bread or anything off of the counters when we leave the house. Suggestions? Help? Thanks!

The cat was injured and has been avoiding the dog.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My suggestion would be to not have the toddler eat food out of the kong.

I'd increase that by having the kid put up when the dog was eating.

Keep food put away (off the counters) when you leave. If you are worried about his affinity for dropped kid food, keep the dog out of the room when the kid is eating and clean up after the kid before letting the dog in. I'd keep the cat out, too, to assure more animal harmony.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

[QUOTE=middleofnowhere;2631732]My suggestion would be to not have the toddler eat food out of the kong.

Also thats just nasty lol
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is Magnum crate trained? If so, I would crate him, while he was enjoying his kong, to keep the cats away. I agree to put food away, when you leave. Crate the dog, while the child is eating, or separate them with a baby gate.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Unless you want a dead cat, better not give the kong where the cat can get to the dog. Poor kitty
Also work on a reliable "DROP IT" no matter what, and keep the child away from the dog while it's having treats/kongs.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No matter how well my dogs and cats get along, I supervise them closely if a treat or food is involved. If you want to continue to give the dog treats then put him in a crate or separate from the cats and the little one.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think middleofnowhere was being sarcastic because the toddler doesn't eat dog food or from the Kong, really...

We think we have put all the human food away and even gate magnum out of the kitchen when gone. However, there is something we miss like kid's snack holder, open diaper bag by the front door where he stole crackers out of, ziploc of cereal bars that he pulled off shelf and ate wrapper and all. We have debated not letting him eat any scraps off the floor and locking him in kitchen during mealtimes and cleaning up floor before he is let out. Has anyone ever had luck with this? Or will he become even crazier? Thanks!!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.