Being "civil" and social aggression? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master Member
 
KristiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
kristi is your dog handler sensitive ?
NO. He is not. He has gotten better as he has aged, but especially as a puppy I would have injured him before a correction got through to him. He can be VERY responsive, and with most things where I have used positive reinforcement he is super quick and willing. But if he don't wanna he doesn't. I use the e collar now for our problem areas and it has been a very good tool for us.
__________________
Odin ~ (aka "Dude") Bh, AADC, SGDC, NAC, WV-N, TG-N, FDCh-G (GSD)
Zuri ~ German Coolie, super pup in training

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #82 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
wolfstraum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 9,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
Hmm great, power, aggression and thin nerves lol. Ah well he is who he is. My first dog was so awesome that I figured I would get another one with some more umph.
I was not commenting on your dog's nerves as I have not seen him and know nothing about him - but on what MIGHT be coming forward and manifesting it self a bit differently from the Chuck pups I know.....

LOL He should certainly have a good bit of "umph"!!

Lee
__________________
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master Member
 
KristiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I was not commenting on your dog's nerves as I have not seen him and know nothing about him - but on what MIGHT be coming forward and manifesting it self a bit differently from the Chuck pups I know.....

LOL He should certainly have a good bit of "umph"!!

Lee
Lol no lack of "umph" in this dog!!!

Not to totally derail this thread but now I'm super curious what the other chuck pups you have known were like? When I spoke with Dan before I got havoc he said that axel was a super nice puppy, lots of drive, a little more on the serious side and showed quite a bit of territorial behaviour for his age. He did sound quite similar to what havoc is showing, havoc maybe being a bit more "sharp." It's hard I say what havoc truly exhibits since I quit schutzhund when he was 8 or 9 months old.

I'm kind of surprised chuck hasn't been bred more considering all he has accomplished.
__________________
Odin ~ (aka "Dude") Bh, AADC, SGDC, NAC, WV-N, TG-N, FDCh-G (GSD)
Zuri ~ German Coolie, super pup in training

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)

Last edited by KristiM; 11-20-2012 at 04:52 PM.
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #84 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
RocketDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,900
Default

This thread is very interesting for us "less educated".

Carry on, please!
__________________
~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire






http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
This thread is very interesting for us "less educated".

Carry on, please!
What do you want to know?
__________________
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper/Training Director
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #86 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 1,869
Default

wolf i need to ask you, you saw UFO yourself do you think he produced social aggession or did he have social aggression?
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #87 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
RocketDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
What do you want to know?
Everything!
__________________
~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire






http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #88 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict
 
lhczth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 15,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
Im just curious about what dogs on the dams damline would be the issue? I believe I read on here that belschick Von eicken-bruche was known as being rather nasty. Optikas dusty is line bred 2-3 on him. Is that where his potential "extra temperament" may come from. I do find him a little over the top, but not in a nervy way, in an overly dominant way. Not directed at me... Just everyone else.
Belschik had very high social aggression and was also what would be called "rank". I have talked to people that knew him personally and he could be a bit scary to handle. He was an old dog when I bred to him, but he was very approachable. He also still had an air of superiority about him. You knew and he knew he was something special. I bred him to a bitch that also had high social aggression, was very dominant, but would have never ever thought about biting me. From that litter, Navarre has social aggression, but not the extent that his father had and, like his mother, would NEVER EVER think about biting his handler. He is social and approachable, but his intensity either makes people uncomfortable or makes them go "wow". Vala does not have the social aggression, IMO, anywhere close to what was found in her mother, father or brother. She is civil (to go along with the topic). Where I got the strong social aggression again was in the next generation.
__________________
Lisa Clark
Zu Treuen Händen Working German Shepherd Dogs
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT




lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #89 (permalink)
Master Member
 
KristiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Belschik had very high social aggression and was also what would be called "rank". I have talked to people that knew him personally and he could be a bit scary to handle. He was an old dog when I bred to him, but he was very approachable. He also still had an air of superiority about him. You knew and he knew he was something special. I bred him to a bitch that also had high social aggression, was very dominant, but would have never ever thought about biting me. From that litter, Navarre has social aggression, but not the extent that his father had and, like his mother, would NEVER EVER think about biting his handler. He is social and approachable, but his intensity either makes people uncomfortable or makes them go "wow". Vala does not have the social aggression, IMO, anywhere close to what was found in her mother, father or brother. She is civil (to go along with the topic). Where I got the strong social aggression again was in the next generation.
Now I remember it was you who had mentioned Belschick on another thread What you describe sounds very much like my dog, very, very intense (which personally I prefer a bit of a "lighter" dog esp in work) he does tend to make people uncomfortable with how intense he is. Also very, very dominant (not to me but everyone else.) I'm curious about where "nerves" come into play with a dog like this? I know lots of people seem to believe that a lot of the behaviors I talk about with Havoc are just weak nerves (obviously not being able to SEE the dog plays a huge role in assumptions) but are dogs like this naturally a bit on the nervy side? Or is it just dominance, and aggression?
__________________
Odin ~ (aka "Dude") Bh, AADC, SGDC, NAC, WV-N, TG-N, FDCh-G (GSD)
Zuri ~ German Coolie, super pup in training

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #90 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
Now I remember it was you who had mentioned Belschick on another thread What you describe sounds very much like my dog, very, very intense (which personally I prefer a bit of a "lighter" dog esp in work) he does tend to make people uncomfortable with how intense he is. Also very, very dominant (not to me but everyone else.) I'm curious about where "nerves" come into play with a dog like this? I know lots of people seem to believe that a lot of the behaviors I talk about with Havoc are just weak nerves (obviously not being able to SEE the dog plays a huge role in assumptions) but are dogs like this naturally a bit on the nervy side? Or is it just dominance, and aggression?
You must be careful, as I have found in the dog world as opposed to say, my work field, many of the standard words lack clear definition.. compounded with that they describe intangible things... and what is meant when a word is used changes anywhere from subtly to dramatically from person to person. This greatly hinders communication. The words I see people struggle to *clearly* align on a single meaning are: *nerve*, defensive drive, aggression, dominance.

So my point is what one person would call "weak nerves", one might call "natural suspicion", or "sharpness", or "civil aggression", or "social aggression", or "aloofness".

If I told you Jäger growls at any men who walk up to us, you could fairly conclude that he is fear aggressive and unconfident just as fairly as you could conclude that he is highly dominant with high suspicion and has high civil & social aggression. In either case I haven't given nearly enough information (and I don't believe I could give enough purely with the written word or even a video.. one must actually observe the dog) to make a fair assessment

Only you, through training and meticulous analysis of your dog, coupled with an honest ability to put egos down as much as is possible and say "am I really objectively and unbiasedly analyzing my dog", will be able to determine your dogs makeup. When you find yourself being able to predict his reactions to the world with a high degree of reliability then you probably are on target with the assessment. When you have many "I didn't think he'd do that", or "He's never done that before" moments, then its time to go back to the drawing board and see where you judged incorrectly.
__________________
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper/Training Director
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com