Being "civil" and social aggression? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

My trainer said he won't work dogs like these without a full body suit. They are very dirty biters and fighters. My dog only wen't for my trainers hands once and it was scary lol

she did go for his chest also tho couple of times lol
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
don't see the behavior or the vid??
The behavior. Tail is up and wagging, looks like a lot of excitement and prey drive.

pets4life- I think I'll go with my breeder's opinion, and what I've seen so far. Given that she knows the lines and knows his parents, and she raised him and knows his raw temperament.

PatchonGSD- these are the dogs that "bring the heat" and "like to fight". The only real downside is if they aren't biddable and will even fight with the handler. I can tell you honestly that having a pup wanting to fight with you and challenge you is a shocker. Makes for some fast re-adjusting on how you handle things real quick.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
kristi dog havoc sounds like both a social aggessive and a civil dog in 1 a 2 in 1 deal lol

A dog like is also what onyx was talking about.

Pactchon NO that is not the case you can make any civil dog fight you pretty much but a dog like havoc just sounds like he is LOOKING for a fight he is what my trainer calls an "aggressive civil dog' Or what we are calling a civil dog with social aggression.

You can make a good dog fight a person pretty easy by fighting their handler or fighting them a good decoy can turn on a good dog within seconds. But a dog like the one kristi talks about seems to beg for that kind of challenge from ANYONE> A real piece of work lol These dogs need a very experienced handler and are not common at all.

Jag most gsds have the i can take on the world attitude but the one shes talking about is something else. I am pretty sure ur not going to end up with a dog like this.

x11 i don't think ur dog is like that either tbh. JMHO.
I have worked with dogs for about 12 years now, mostly pets, ran a daycare for several years etc. I only did schutzhund for 3 years so I don't have a ton of experience with working GSDs, but I can say that I have never met a dog like Havoc. I don't think dogs like him are very common. I am always afraid my posts about him come off as bragging about my bad a** dog, I am not. He is exhausting, and I really don't think the vast majority of people could handle him, nor would they want to.

(I do love him though, and I try really hard to stay positive about him. To me and my husband he can really be such a sweetie, and he does have a lot of good traits.)

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think I have a better understanding, but I guess a part of it is just seeing the dog for yourself.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That would be a good idea, you are close to Nate or Mike's right? Best places to see for yourself
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
That would be a good idea, you are close to Nate or Mike's right? Best places to see for yourself
I believe so. I've never had any dealings with either of them, but I guess I could contact them and see if I could watch them work with their dogs. I'm finding this subject to be pretty fascinating. lol

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

u can take ur jack russel with u to watch lol
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
I'm looking for some clarification on these two things. The more I try to research it myself, the more I am confused.

1.) Is "social aggression" the same thing as being "civil", essentially?

2.) This is something that must be bred for (like good nerves), and cannot be taught, correct?

3.) Is it fair to say that a dog with "social aggression" is a dominant dog in personality, and one that would actually bite the flesh of a person vs a dog that will *only* bite a sleeve?

4.) Can anyone provide an example of a "civil" /"socially aggressive" dog?
Yes in most contexts

Yes

Yes

Jäger is very civil. Katya & Aska are not. Jäger does not like strangers. Jäger will posture back and up the anty to anyone who postures at him. Ill try to get a video of it in an hour or so
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
I believe so. I've never had any dealings with either of them, but I guess I could contact them and see if I could watch them work with their dogs. I'm finding this subject to be pretty fascinating. lol
Assuming Nate Harves or Mike Diehl are who she was referring to. Jäger is from Nates Stuka, who is from Mikes stormfront Brawnson. They have very powerful intense dogs. Not as prey flashy as many sport dogs. The dogs are real

In contrast to an earlier post, jäger is my dog that needs less management. He is my easy one to own
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
This is how you get sport dogs to bite "for real" the helper acts like prey. You frustrate the dog the same way you would with a sleeve or pillow, only there is no sleeve or pillow just a person. The dog bites out of frustration "prey."
Yeah but that's still a prey bite. Not "real". Walk up to the dog with a lot of posture and presense. If he returns in kind, he is civil. He wants to dominate you, not eat or play tug. His desire is to show you he is badder than you are. This is the social aspect of a civil dog, as it is a competition based behavior. He perceives you as a competitor, not prey. This is why civil dogs are always very dominant. I can teach any dog to bite without equipment, but you don't need to teach a civil dog, you just push the right buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.