Being "civil" and social aggression? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
There is also the dog that doesn't need to be teased up(eye contact or a facial expression is enough). It'll bite for real just because it can.
anything like the behaviours this green pup is showing;

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-side-vid.html
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
There is also the dog that doesn't need to be teased up(eye contact or a facial expression is enough). It'll bite for real just because it can.
This is where handler management comes in when the dog is young/learning because a young dog doesn't always make the right choices!
This^ As Havoc matures I have become more comfortable with his decision making but I do still worry about the dummy that decides to challenge him. He will always have to be "managed" because of this.

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post

Um, I don't see it.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
This would depend on what you want the dog for. Don't get me wrong I do love Havoc but owning him is a challenge. He is always kinda looking for a fight and I have to watch him like a hawk. I think about what would happen if some dummy decides to challenge back? Stranger things have happened. Havoc would bite someone, not because he is scared or whatever but because he is a dominant a** who thinks he owns the world. I can understand why you would want a SMALL amount of it, like it talks about in that link posted, it is not about a fight/flight thing and the dog is not stressed about it. So it can be useful for bite work, also useful for police dogs I would imagine.

After owning Havoc, I don't want another dog like this. Ya his larger than life personality is cool, but he is sooo much work.
This is how I'm thinking Grim will be. Just because he has that "I own the world" personality already. He's had that forever. I'll have to wait and see as he matures how he carries himself with this mentality. When he struts like that I call him "Mr. Grim" LOL!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Um, I don't see it.
don't see the behavior or the vid??
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post

I think the potential is there. In the first vid he definitely strikes me as more excited than anything. I think you need a better hepler lol, hopefully you don't take offense to that Dogs need building by experienced helpers. He looks like a nice dog, not overly serious, but at this age he really shouldn't be. The important thing (to my inexperienced eye) is that he really doesn't look insecure, the barrier does help with that though. Nice dog, an experienced helper will be able to give you a good idea of his potential and help to build on his strong points.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
I think the potential is there. In the first vid he definitely strikes me as more excited than anything. I think you need a better hepler lol, hopefully you don't take offense to that Dogs need building by experienced helpers. He looks like a nice dog, not overly serious, but at this age he really shouldn't be. The important thing (to my inexperienced eye) is that he really doesn't look insecure, the barrier does help with that though. Nice dog, an experienced helper will be able to give you a good idea of his potential and help to build on his strong points.
not offended by helper comment - he's all i got so hope he doesn't read yr comment
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
This would depend on what you want the dog for. Don't get me wrong I do love Havoc but owning him is a challenge. He is always kinda looking for a fight and I have to watch him like a hawk. I think about what would happen if some dummy decides to challenge back? Stranger things have happened. Havoc would bite someone, not because he is scared or whatever but because he is a dominant a** who thinks he owns the world. I can understand why you would want a SMALL amount of it, like it talks about in that link posted, it is not about a fight/flight thing and the dog is not stressed about it. So it can be useful for bite work, also useful for police dogs I would imagine.

After owning Havoc, I don't want another dog like this. Ya his larger than life personality is cool, but he is sooo much work.

So in other words...a dog with social aggression is a dog that isnt hard to "set off" and will happily "take the challenger on his challenge." Is that fair to say?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thumbs up

kristi dog havoc sounds like both a social aggessive and a civil dog in 1 a 2 in 1 deal lol

A dog like is also what onyx was talking about.

Pactchon NO that is not the case you can make any civil dog fight you pretty much but a dog like havoc just sounds like he is LOOKING for a fight he is what my trainer calls an "aggressive civil dog' Or what we are calling a civil dog with social aggression.

You can make a good dog fight a person pretty easy by fighting their handler or fighting them a good decoy can turn on a good dog within seconds. But a dog like the one kristi talks about seems to beg for that kind of challenge from ANYONE> A real piece of work lol These dogs need a very experienced handler and are not common at all.

Jag most gsds have the i can take on the world attitude but the one shes talking about is something else. I am pretty sure ur not going to end up with a dog like this.

x11 i don't think ur dog is like that either tbh. JMHO.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-16-2012 at 08:30 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
So in other words...a dog with social aggression is a dog that isnt hard to "set off" and will happily "take the challenger on his challenge." Is that fair to say?
First I'm really not an expert, but have learned a lot because of Havoc. He isn't easy to set off in a reactive type of way, like people acting funny, wearing stuff he's never seen before, etc. But yes easy to set off if you are being overly forward, aggressive, staring etc. Also when he gets "set off" he doesn't make nosie initially, he will "go" for someone and if he can't reach them he will start to huff and puff very angrily. He won't "set off" like a normal reactive dog, for expample when Havoc is staring someone down and they are oblivious and walk up and pet him I don't worry about him biting them. But if that GLARING woman on the hike started approaching us yelling or something he would have happily engaged her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.