Being "civil" and social aggression? - Page 23 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #221 (permalink)
Banned

Well it drives me nuts when people say "my dog SENSED that guy was bad".
I think to an extent dogs can do that but overall, it may be just a difference.
Or, as in Jax's case, the people might be just an idiot.

Temperament tests in shelters include a person with a cane, or walker, a person with an umbrella, a person who opens an umbrella, for this very reason. Many dogs haven't seen a person with a cane or walker, that doesn't mean the person with cane/walker is a mass murderer, it means the dog simply hasn't seen that before and it freaks them out
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #222 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We are not talking about dogs in shelters. We are talking about GSDs. You lean more to the unstable dog thinking than what we are discussing.
One thing I wanted to add about cocky people is most of them don't respect boundries...of dogs or people. Ok bye.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #223 (permalink)
Banned

I was using an example (temperament tests in shelters), but people who bought their dogs "new" have this issue all the time.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #224 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's hard to protect the herd and be friends with the wolves.

Loved the Stephanitz link. Heck he was almost a PO trainer. Ahead of his time.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #225 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Well it drives me nuts when people say "my dog SENSED that guy was bad".
I think to an extent dogs can do that but overall, it may be just a difference.
Or, as in Jax's case, the people might be just an idiot.
Dogs have a tremendous innate ability to sense things. If they didn't they would not be used as service dogs for the disabled or as seizure alert dogs.

Quote:
Temperament tests in shelters include a person with a cane, or walker, a person with an umbrella, a person who opens an umbrella, for this very reason. Many dogs haven't seen a person with a cane or walker, that doesn't mean the person with cane/walker is a mass murderer, it means the dog simply hasn't seen that before and it freaks them out
A dog with good nerves does not freak out when they see these things. Actually it surprises me how many dogs of all breeds take these things in stride. I am a CGC evaluator and my friend who does the class building up to the test does all sorts of things like walking with a walker around the dogs or pulling a crate dolly. Some of the dogs will look, but we have never had any freak.

Unfortunately shelter environments put many dogs into a stressful situation that they are ill equipped to handle. That, though, is another topic.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #226 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Andy, what is a PO trainer? Post Office?

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #227 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Dogs have a tremendous innate ability to sense things. If they didn't they would not be used as service dogs for the disabled or as seizure alert dogs.

A dog with good nerves does not freak out when they see these things. Actually it surprises me how many dogs of all breeds take these things in stride. I am a CGC evaluator and my friend who does the class building up to the test does all sorts of things like walking with a walker around the dogs or pulling a crate dolly. Some of the dogs will look, but we have never had any freak.

Unfortunately shelter environments put many dogs into a stressful situation that they are ill equipped to handle. That, though, is another topic.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

That said, this particular "forum" of "aggression - the good bad and ugly" is rife with dogs doing just that.
Whether from breeders, rescues/shelters or pet shops, apparently bad nerves are all too common?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #228 (permalink)

As far as "sensing the bad guy", it depends on whether I trust my dog to make that call in the first place. I have one GSD who I trust when he alerts, perks up, reacts. We are in tune with each other. If he pauses and turns his head, I follow his gaze too. However I've also had a GSD that I did not trust because she had poor judgment (terrified of the nicest people, OK with someone I know to basically be a sexual predator). Just because the latter dog probably would bite someone before the former dog would doesn't in any way lead me to believe there was social aggression or a true sense of an ill-intentioned person, just a low threshold for a fight or flight response. So whether or not I trust my dog to "sense a bad guy" depends on whether or not I trust my dog and that depends on how well I know my dog and the bond that we have and by having a deeper bond I have an understanding of my dog's nerve and whether or not they are correctly calibrated to sense a bad guy.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #229 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Andy, what is a PO trainer? Post Office?
Hmmm. Perfect Obedience, Pretty Obnoxious, Properly Observant.

Naw. I think he would have been Positive Only, except he didn't have a Petco to buy treats from, and where he could socialize his dogs.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #230 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
As far as "sensing the bad guy", it depends on whether I trust my dog to make that call in the first place. I have one GSD who I trust when he alerts, perks up, reacts. We are in tune with each other. If he pauses and turns his head, I follow his gaze too. However I've also had a GSD that I did not trust because she had poor judgment (terrified of the nicest people, OK with someone I know to basically be a sexual predator). Just because the latter dog probably would bite someone before the former dog would doesn't in any way lead me to believe there was social aggression or a true sense of an ill-intentioned person, just a low threshold for a fight or flight response. So whether or not I trust my dog to "sense a bad guy" depends on whether or not I trust my dog and that depends on how well I know my dog and the bond that we have and by having a deeper bond I have an understanding of my dog's nerve and whether or not they are correctly calibrated to sense a bad guy.

Good post!^^^

My own GSD is very friendly, moreso than the average GSD in my opinion. I trust his judgement on people 110% of the time. He has NEVER been wrong about someone.

I want a stable dog that will protect me or the house and car if the situation arises. I am finding that dogs with good nerves are becoming the minority as the general population leans towards dogs with bad nerves IMHO.
VonKromeHaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.