Being "civil" and social aggression? - Page 21 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #201 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Okay...so is the stranger welcome on the property??

And even if not (some church members going door-to-door) are we going to allow Fido to take them out?
I might.

We'll just say for the sake of argument that the stranger, although we've never met, we can tell means us no harm.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #202 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
who are you talking to mrs k lol you have to respond at least to someones question or name
Quote:
From my understanding, working dog handlers understand, treat and handle their dogs differently. It gets very apparent in discussions like these.
I'm a bit confused to. The OP is not a working dog handler
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #203 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Great thread.

So in a lot of the aggression threads if a dog barks, hackles or growls, in some of the scenarios mentioned here, many say the dog is FA.

I think in some of those cases the dog is doing what a good GSD should do.

Now I realize there are genetic nerve bags but the more I read here the more I wonder, could the owners be creating the instability in some of these dogs.

Maybe some of these dogs are ok but the owners don't understand the way the dog should be.

Both my dogs have strong territorial aggression. I want them to have that. But some would say they are acting out of fear.

It is common to hear that on this board.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #204 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
All these "going from door to door" people started to ignore our house. Sometimes I wonder if there is an online forum where these people warn about certain houses.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #205 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
We have a rather huge shift in mentality nowadays and the dogs are paying for it.

Would you consider a person reaching through a window in your house as threatening? I would. I might consider shooting 'em. Maybe that makes me unstable but a fence is usually surrounding the dog's territory and mine. If someone ignores the warning from the dog and reaches over anyway, I would expect my dog to escalate his response.

Again, this is not about unstable dogs but nowadays, any dog can be made to sound like he is. Years ago, dogs were expected to protect. It was accepted and people RESPECTED the dog's space and territory! I have so much sympathy for what the dog are put through now due to the level of ignorance that exists and the very unreasonable expectations. They are DOGS!
I could not agree more on all points!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #206 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I haven't read the thread yet but I do agree with Andy. My dog is FA with other dogs. You can see the lack of confidence, the shying away, the tension. But there is something about a person not moving, frozen, that sets her off. It's not normal to her and she reacts STRONGLY to it. There is no hesitation in her response. She's not scared of the person...she just simply really doesn't like it.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Great thread.

So in a lot of the aggression threads if a dog barks, hackles or growls, in some of the scenarios mentioned here, many say the dog is FA.

I think in some of those cases the dog is doing what a good GSD should do.

Now I realize there are genetic nerve bags but the more I read here the more I wonder, could the owners be creating the instability in some of these dogs.

Maybe some of these dogs are ok but the owners don't understand the way the dog should be.

Both my dogs have strong territorial aggression. I want them to have that. But some would say they are acting out of fear.

It is common to hear that on this board.
And once people hear their dog is fear aggressive, I bet it just sticks and the poor dog gets labeled and handled as if he is.
Self-fulfilling prophecy.
I am often amazed at the different information I get from real people versus what is on an internet forum.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #208 (permalink)

Shoot... I can make my dog insecure in the way I handle him. It is very apparent when I train in front of people that I respect and are more experienced than I. I get worried. The dog starts ear-flicking and glancing out of the corner of his eye at me because he senses my nervousness.
Most watching cannot tell how I feel.... but they can see the dog's reaction.
-and- on the web
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #209 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
And once people hear their dog is fear aggressive, I bet it just sticks and the poor dog gets labeled and handled as if he is.
Self-fulfilling prophecy.
I am often amazed at the different information I get from real people versus what is on an internet forum.
Also, it depends on whether you deal with pet dog people and the average jo and if you are dealing with somebody that actually works their dogs in Schutzhund/Protection/SAR etc.

There is a huge difference in not only how we view our dogs but also how we work them, keep them, what needs they have and what is expected of them. That alone, makes a difference. The average pet owner wouldn't want the type of dog that we are looking for or want. They don't want to hear the word aggression or the truth what a dog really is and how they can and should react in certain situations. Even though the word "Alpha" is being thrown around a lot...
crazy world...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #210 (permalink)

I watched a video taped seminar recently. Kathy Sdao's "Cujo Meets Pavlov."
She presented a video of an aggressive dog.... and I couldn't believe it. To me, the dog was insecure and showing it, but compared to aggression that I have seen the dog was like a 4 on a 1-10 scale of aggressive behaviors. Just not very scary.

So yes, Mrs K..... it certainly depends on the person doing the evaluating.
-and- on the web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.