Sudden Aggression? Over Excitement? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default Sudden Aggression? Over Excitement?

We have a 9 1/2 month old male GSD named Jake. We have had a dog walker come to our house every day we work since Jake was 9 weeks old. They come to feed him his lunch meal and take him out to do business.

All of a sudden today, Jake bit the dog walker in the arm while they were in the front yard getting him to do business. I don't know all the details yet, but we are meeting with them tomorrow night to discuss. When the dog walker attempted to get him back in his crate and taking his leash off he kept trying to bite.

I'm not home right now to assess Jake's condition at all. I know Jake get's very excited when they come and he has always loved them. All within 15 minutes they arrive, he gets fed and let out for business and is always over excited for them. So I'm not sure if this is an something that happened as a result of over excitement or if it is an aggression issue.

We have not had Jake to obedience classes, but have done home training and while he's not the best behaved dog in the world, he is manageable for us. I can understand that there would be inconsistencies between how we handle Jake and how they handle him.

Understandably they don't want to come tomorrow until we've had a chance to discuss the incident.

Any initial ideas? We were going to start weaning him onto 2 feedings a day now that his digestive issues are resolved so that could eliminate the need for them to come feed him every day, but that doesn't address what happened.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,832
Default

The big question is whether this was an excitement bite or an aggressive deliberate bite. The first one is no big deal and is readily fixed. The second one is much more serious and needs professional training to deal with.
__________________
Elaine and the herd
Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default

I just read the following link and I have an appointment to take Jake to the vet tomorrow morning. Alot of the signs that are listed for Thyroid problems explain Jake to a T.

DODDS-BEHV-THYROID
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
The big question is whether this was an excitement bite or an aggressive deliberate bite. The first one is no big deal and is readily fixed. The second one is much more serious and needs professional training to deal with.
Thanks Elaine. I've only been communicating via text message with them, but they definitely said it was aggressive type bite as opposed to over excitement.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Twyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post

I'm not home right now to assess Jake's condition at all. I know Jake get's very excited when they come and he has always loved them. All within 15 minutes they arrive, he gets fed and let out for business and is always over excited for them. So I'm not sure if this is an something that happened as a result of over excitement or if it is an aggression issue.

Understandably they don't want to come tomorrow until we've had a chance to discuss the incident.

Any initial ideas? We were going to start weaning him onto 2 feedings a day now that his digestive issues are resolved so that could eliminate the need for them to come feed him every day, but that doesn't address what happened.
Keep in mind that over excitement can in some instances slip over into aggression.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Keep in mind that over excitement can in some instances slip over into aggression.
Yes, I could see that. He definitely gets over excited when they are there. But I read other things related to thyroid issues that could explain some of the nervousness, allergies, itchy skin, incessant whining and lack of concentration issues we have been experiencing with Jake over the last 2 months or so. I've read enough to at least warrant a trip to the vet for some testing.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Twyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
Yes, I could see that. He definitely gets over excited when they are there. But I read other things related to thyroid issues that could explain some of the nervousness, allergies, itchy skin, incessant whining and lack of concentration issues we have been experiencing with Jake over the last 2 months or so. I've read enough to at least warrant a trip to the vet for some testing.
Definitely do the vet visit. Wasn't meaning for that to come out negatively towards the vet visit. Just throwing out another idea that is sometimes overlooked.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Definitely do the vet visit. Wasn't meaning for that to come out negatively towards the vet visit. Just throwing out another idea that is sometimes overlooked.
No offense taken at all Twyla
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas!
Posts: 1,483
Default

Hypothetical Situations.....Which of the two is more probable?

A frustrated dog walker who is having marriage problems, just got laid off, and had a fight with their kid comes to your house to let your german shepherd out. Your dog is having to much fun running around and keeps running away so they can't put the collar on him. The handler gets frustrated and begins handling the dog roughly. When they are outside, the handler jerks the dog and yells at it to hurry and potty. The dog doesn't know what to do and tries to get away from the handler, who pops him with the leash. Then there is a bite.

OR

The dog walker loves your dog to death and is in a perfectly happy mood. She lets your dog out of his kennel ,feeds him, then plays with him. Next she takes him outside (as she has every day for the past few months) and out of nowhere he bites her for no reason.



Just bringing up the possibility..
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Hypothetical Situations.....Which of the two is more probable?

A frustrated dog walker who is having marriage problems, just got laid off, and had a fight with their kid comes to your house to let your german shepherd out. Your dog is having to much fun running around and keeps running away so they can't put the collar on him. The handler gets frustrated and begins handling the dog roughly. When they are outside, the handler jerks the dog and yells at it to hurry and potty. The dog doesn't know what to do and tries to get away from the handler, who pops him with the leash. Then there is a bite.

OR

The dog walker loves your dog to death and is in a perfectly happy mood. She lets your dog out of his kennel ,feeds him, then plays with him. Next she takes him outside (as she has every day for the past few months) and out of nowhere he bites her for no reason.



Just bringing up the possibility..
I appreciate the suggestions. I highly doubt the first situation applies. It is always hard to know exactly what is going on when you arenít there, but we have had neighbors comment on how good the dog walkers (there is a husband/wife team) are with Jake.

Again we havenít spoken in person with them yet (weíll do that tomorrow night) but from everything they have said nothing was different from today than other days. He had his usual level of excitement when they got there, he ate and she took him out on leash to do business. There wasnít anyone walking by the house at the time of the incident.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com