Sudden Aggression? Over Excitement? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Just thought I would throw it out there. Perhaps it was a redirection of some type? Maybe your dog saw another dog and wanted to go to it, but when he couldn't, he redirected his anxiety on the handler?

OR maybe he was just overly excited and mouthy?

Did it break the skin?

Yesterday I was playing with Rocky and I had a coat on inside (never done that before) and he bit my arm SO hard! No puncture but small bruises.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are they professional dog walkers? Meaning, do they have years of experiance with many dogs and many (different) dog behaviors?

Taking your post on face value, your normally well behaved non-aggressive dog, suddenly bit the well known handler twice, although unprovoked and with malice. Without previous warning or indications of aggressiveness.

Health issue.

If it were me, I'd speak face to face with the walkers. I'd ask many questions and take notes. I'd want to know exactly what the behavior of my dog was from the moment they arrived till the moment they left. I'd want to know what was the behavior of my dog last week (etc.). I'd go to the vet well armed with any information provided.

Also, don't get hung up on 'thyroid' issues (although a good place to start). It could be anything. My sister's dog suddenly bit her one evening while they were sitting on the couch. This dog has no aggression issues. I suggested taking her dog to the vet. Turns out the dog's anal glands were impacted. The dog was in serious pain. Not giving the dog a free pass on a bite, but certainly explains things.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Are they professional dog walkers? Meaning, do they have years of experiance with many dogs and many (different) dog behaviors?

Taking your post on face value, your normally well behaved non-aggressive dog, suddenly bit the well known handler twice, although unprovoked and with malice. Without previous warning or indications of aggressiveness.

Health issue.

If it were me, I'd speak face to face with the walkers. I'd ask many questions and take notes. I'd want to know exactly what the behavior of my dog was from the moment they arrived till the moment they left. I'd want to know what was the behavior of my dog last week (etc.). I'd go to the vet well armed with any information provided.

Also, don't get hung up on 'thyroid' issues (although a good place to start). It could be anything. My sister's dog suddenly bit her one evening while they were sitting on the couch. This dog has no aggression issues. I suggested taking her dog to the vet. Turns out the dog's anal glands were impacted. The dog was in serious pain. Not giving the dog a free pass on a bite, but certainly explains things.
Thanks for the feedback Lilie. We have a face to face meeting with the dog walker tomorrow evening ... they aren't available tonight. They are seasoned dog walkers with almost 10 years experience. We'll have to ask about their experience dealing with dealing with behavioral issues in dogs.

In talking with them today, there have been no issues with Jake recently - no other changes in behaviour. They were in our front yard with no one around. Jake did his business and when finished he jumped on them and bit him in the arm. I asked if they could think of a trigger and there wasn't any they could think of. He continued to be aggressive going into the house and he couldn't get his leash off of him because he kept trying to bite. I asked if it was possibly over excitement, but it displayed as aggression according to them. This is very out of character for Jake. He's never shown any sign of aggression in the 8 months we've had him.

I'm not sticking to just the thyroid issue tomorrow at the vet. I realize it could be any number of things if its medical related.

I'm taking this incident very seriously and this is not ok. It could have been one of us, our kids, friends, family or a stranger the next time (but I pray there isn't a second time). If we have a medical issue, lets deal with it. If it's the beginning of a behavioural issue, we need to know as soon as possible and start dealing with that.

As an additional note, I am home now and not noticing any abnormal behaviour with Jake. I made sure I had lots of treats on hand to re-inforce in training. When I let him out of his cage he was his usual excited self, but calmed as usual for me. We did a short obedience session and ran in the back yard. I felt him all over and didn't seem to get any response or he wasn't sensitive anywhere.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Just thought I would throw it out there. Perhaps it was a redirection of some type? Maybe your dog saw another dog and wanted to go to it, but when he couldn't, he redirected his anxiety on the handler?

OR maybe he was just overly excited and mouthy?

Did it break the skin?

Yesterday I was playing with Rocky and I had a coat on inside (never done that before) and he bit my arm SO hard! No puncture but small bruises.
Yes, the bite did break the skin. It's a pretty nasty looking bite after looking at the picture they sent on my phone.

Jake has only ever accidently nipped us before if he has a toy on our lap or something. He was a usual nippy pup when he was younger, but has gotten a lot better about using his mouth gently.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
As an additional note, I am home now and not noticing any abnormal behaviour with Jake. I made sure I had lots of treats on hand to re-inforce in training. When I let him out of his cage he was his usual excited self, but calmed as usual for me. We did a short obedience session and ran in the back yard. I felt him all over and didn't seem to get any response or he wasn't sensitive anywhere.
If if were me, I'd keep my dog seperated from my kids/family/strangers until I've gotten to the bottom of what ever the issue is, utilizing my vet as my first step.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
If if were me, I'd keep my dog seperated from my kids/family/strangers until I've gotten to the bottom of what ever the issue is, utilizing my vet as my first step.
I definitely agree. That's why I took Jake into the backyard for his exercise instead of the usual walk. What happened today is one thing and our dog walker assures us it's not the first time it's happened and it's a risk of the business they are in. But until we know what is going on, Jake stays at home or is on a very short leash if outside the home.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
I definitely agree. That's why I took Jake into the backyard for his exercise instead of the usual walk. What happened today is one thing and our dog walker assures us it's not the first time it's happened and it's a risk of the business they are in. But until we know what is going on, Jake stays at home or is on a very short leash if outside the home.
Although I know it's your personal business, it helps many, many people who read through these threads if you can keep us updated on your progress.

I truly hope it's something simple.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Although I know it's your personal business, it helps many, many people who read through these threads if you can keep us updated on your progress.

I truly hope it's something simple.
I definitely will update this thread.

With all the digestive issues we had with Jake early on, all the threads here and on another forum helped. And nothing annoyed me more than getting part way through and not getting any more updates.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Just got back from the vet. After a lengthy discussion they agreed it was best to rule out some medical causes first as well. So they ran what they call a Geriatric Wellness Profile. They usually run it on senior dogs, but it was the most cost effective way to run comprehensive bloodwork. It cost $150 for the test and it will check CDC, red/white blood cells, thyroid, endocrine, organ function, etc. If there is a more common underlying issue this should point to something.

She did say though that if all the blood work comes back fine, then she recommends continuning down the behavioural path because that would be a better use of our money. And we'll accept that if the blood work doesn't find anything. Based on the advice received here and in other places, I just felt doing the tests first was the best first move. We will have the blood results back later today. If it's early enough I may run back in to pick up a copy of his test results to keep on file. I will come back and update the thread once we know more.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks so much for the update. Keeping my fingers crossed this is something easy to detect and even easier to solve.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.