Aggressive, disobedient and hyperactive dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Aggressive, disobedient and hyperactive dog.

I have a German Shepherd named Draco. He'll be two in January.

We got him when he was six months old and he's always been hyperactive, we've tried to keep him occupied filling his kong with treats, peanut butter, walking him as often as possible etc. But he just doesn't know when to stop. we've taken his toys away and had assigned "playtime". He just throws himself on or between your legs, jumps up at us and won't be told no. When he is told off, he becomes aggressive and starts barking, baring teeth then running away as if it's a big game. We have ignored him, he's been smacked, we've tried the Ceaser prodding and "ssh" noises, the tugging collar, isolating him. Nothing works.

It's become so bad that my Mum can't even walk to and from the kitchen without him mouthing her, biting her clothes, slippers as she is walking. She is constantly bruised and has holes in most of her pyjamas because of him. He does the same with my boyfriend but isn't too bad with me or my Dad. He won't sit unless there's something offered, won't come, drop things and if he gets out in the front garden, we can't get him back in as he always wants a chase. We now can't even play with him without his playing becoming aggressive and the barking starting etc so we can do hardly anything with our dog. As soon as there's company, he jumps all over them and can't be pushed down, he just will not give up!

I have a nephew who is one and a niece coming along soon so we're worried about the dog around the children as we keep having to put him out when they're around, we want to be able to have him in the same room as people. If we can't control him or he doesn't calm down, we will have to give him away but we all really want to know how to help him.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
Thanks
FrankieMagee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is he on a high carb food? What food? Have you thought about having thyroid checked?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, he was checked in the vets and they said it was fine. He eats Wagg food I'm not too sure if that's high sorry :/
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has he ever gone to any obedience classes?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

He went to a trainer for a week or so then the same trainer had him for two weeks recently while we were away. He's good for the trainer but the second time my parents went to pick him up and as soon as he knew they were there he started playing up and tried to dominate the other dogs there. When we got him back from the first time he was good for about a day then started playing up again. We got him to stay in his basket for a few minutes, but now if he is sent to his bed for being naughty, he sits in his bed while you stand with him then follows you as you walk away. My Dad carried on putting him back for literally hours but he just refuses to listen. The second time he was just the same as if he has never been to training. But apparently he was really good for the trainer.

Ooh, sorry also forgot to mention something really odd he does, for attention, he'll chase his tail and whack into you as he does in then rip the hairs out of his tail. If we all ignore him, he does stop but our attention can't always be on him so he continues to rip out hairs.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would say he needs way more exercise and you need to work with him, not against him.
Tail chasing is obsessive behavior(serious!)

Can you get him into some agility or herding type classes? It really isn't fair to him to ask him to settle with a peanutbutter filled kong or walks....those do not work his brain! Treibball would be a great way to work him!
He needs an outlet for his energy. GSD's are a working breed, they need to exercise both mind and body. It isn't his fault he is who he is, you need to step up and help him be the best dog he can be!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like he is completely bored. Have you thought about taking him to training and your the handler? It's nice that you sent him away, but did you learn how to work with your dog? Obedience classes can do lots for the owner and the dog. It sounds like no one is a strong enough leader and he knows he can do what he wants. Mine is 14 months and she has gone through 4-5 classes, a couple one day classes, and now she is in agility. I still work obedience with her daily. There is a balance of mental and physical exercise with these dogs..some might need a little bit more of one then the other.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Sending him to a trainer doesn't train the family. It sounds like the dog isn't the issue, but what's happening in the home. He may well be a high-drive dog placed in a family dog home. A HUGE mistake and mis-match! Have you spoken to the breeder about the problems you're having... if you got him from a breeder? If I were in your position, I'd be asking the trainer you had for him to find him a more appropriate home. If not, you need your family to take classes WITH the dog so your family can be trained how to handle him and how to meet his needs. It sounds like his energy needs aren't being met, and he doesn't have the mental stimulation he needs. He sounds like a dog that would do well in some sort of club or activity on a regular basis after your family learns how to handle him.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Can you get him into some agility or herding type classes?
This might be good for him down the line, but he would need some obedience behind him to do any sport.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Time for a new trainer. One that trains the humans just as much as the dog. Things have to change. And his exercise needs up. Physically & mentally. Several training sessions a day and several exercise outlets. A long doesn't even drain my 4 month old puppie's energy. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.