German Shepherds Forum banner

Aggressive, disobedient and hyperactive dog.

10K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  KentuckyGSDLover 
#1 ·
I have a German Shepherd named Draco. He'll be two in January.

We got him when he was six months old and he's always been hyperactive, we've tried to keep him occupied filling his kong with treats, peanut butter, walking him as often as possible etc. But he just doesn't know when to stop. we've taken his toys away and had assigned "playtime". He just throws himself on or between your legs, jumps up at us and won't be told no. When he is told off, he becomes aggressive and starts barking, baring teeth then running away as if it's a big game. We have ignored him, he's been smacked, we've tried the Ceaser prodding and "ssh" noises, the tugging collar, isolating him. Nothing works.

It's become so bad that my Mum can't even walk to and from the kitchen without him mouthing her, biting her clothes, slippers as she is walking. She is constantly bruised and has holes in most of her pyjamas because of him. He does the same with my boyfriend but isn't too bad with me or my Dad. He won't sit unless there's something offered, won't come, drop things and if he gets out in the front garden, we can't get him back in as he always wants a chase. We now can't even play with him without his playing becoming aggressive and the barking starting etc so we can do hardly anything with our dog. As soon as there's company, he jumps all over them and can't be pushed down, he just will not give up!

I have a nephew who is one and a niece coming along soon so we're worried about the dog around the children as we keep having to put him out when they're around, we want to be able to have him in the same room as people. If we can't control him or he doesn't calm down, we will have to give him away but we all really want to know how to help him.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
Thanks

See less See more
#28 ·
You need to stop thinking the dog is "impossible" and look into what your family needs to do so that this dog's needs are met.
Study the links the members gave you, learn about the breed, understand what you've got. The problem is not the dog, but humans who need to understand that this is not a human baby, but a highly intelligent and energetic animal who is bored, frustrated and becoming neurotic because he has no job, leadership or direction.

#30 ·
i agree the dog needs some NILIF training. understand no training happens over night. it takes time, patience and the right training help. the dog is capable of learning, its the owners that need to learn how to apply the training. i also agree that the dog needs a job. pick an activity like agility, tracking, etc. your dog will learn to pay attention to you through a working activity., my preference would be obedience training first, and a good trainer. then add things from there. it takes time and patience and you have to be totally commited and consistant in order to see improvement.

#31 ·
I have a dog just like this. Reactive, so hyper that no amount of anything is ever enough, and also tail chases when she's even more nervous/stressed. She self-pets, if you ignore her she drops the Kong on your foot, chews on you, paws you, etc. It's like having a pesty, inappropriate little kid in the house. She's not dumb - she has trained to do many things. It seems to be a personality disorder. I've come to think this dog as mentally ill. If you find an answer, other than the obvious things that I've tried, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.