Bad experience tonight with our friends dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Bad experience tonight with our friends dog.

I feel pretty stupid about this but I think I should share this as a matter of precaution. Be careful around strange dogs.

Tonight my wife and I had a fairly traumatic experience with our friend's black lab. We had only met the dog yesterday but she seamed friendly enough so we agreed to go take care of the dog this evening so our friends could go out of town for a week end get away. My wife and I had never actually been to their apartment so this was the first time we dealt with the dog in her own home. We were to go feed and water the dog and put the dog on a leash and take her out and let her go potty. All pretty simple sounding and the dog was a complete baby doll the night before when she came over for a get to know you meeting at our house. The plan was for me to wait in the truck (we were also transporting another dog that was being taken to my grandmother-in-laws house) and my wife would run in and take care of the lab.

About two minutes into my wait, my cell phone rings and my wife is frantic on the other end of the phone. She was saying that the dog had her pinned to the wall behind the door and should could not get out. I immediately ran to the apartment and when I opened the door the lab lunged at me and bit me in the knee. She did not draw blood as I was wearing a sturdy pair of blue jeans but I still felt the pain of her teeth on my kneecap. I firmly told the dog NO! she backed off about a foot but was still growling with her teeth bared. My wife then maneuvered out from behind the door and picked up some dog treats on the kitchen table to try to calm the situation down but when she tried to give one to the dog, it lunged at her and bit her in the thigh. Again, did not draw blood but now my wife was very upset.

The dog did not have a collar on so at this point I decided that she was just going to have to stay in the house. There was nothing either of us could do for her with out risking serious injury. The problem now was that my wife was on the opposite side of the dog and was not able to move towards door with out being lunged at.

I then reached over and picked up a trash can and blocked the lab from my wife so she could scoot behind me and out the door.

We called the owners of the dog and tried to explain what happened but the cell phone service was very bad. I feel really bad about even letting this happen. I should have known it would be a bad idea to try to enter an apartment that had a large strange dog inside. I am just glad I had rode along with my wife on the trip. What if I was not out in the truck? What if she would have been seriously bit and there was no one around to help except a call to 911. This could have been much worse but in the end all is well. (Except the fact that the dog still has not been let out but as I told my wife, it will be better for our friends to clean up a mess on the floor than for someone to end up in the hospital).
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh wow, I'm so glad you're both alright. That would be really scary. It's hard to know how dogs will react to strangers. My friend also has a black Lab who is such a friendly dog. She never thought it would be a problem whenever the Landlord want to show her place to a future tenant but her dog acted aggressively to strangers entering. My guys on the other hand have been perfectly friendly to strangers entering our apartment for repairs or inspections, etc...when were both out.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yikes. You are lucky you escaped with just a couple of bites. That bitch meant business!

The good news for them is their home will never be burglarized. The bad news is, they will never get free pet care again. Hope they had a good time, because they are in for a crappy return home
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Luck was on your side. I would never enter a home with any dog. If I'm taking care of a dog, it comes to my house. I'm having my bathroom painted and retiled by the guy upstairs from me...the dogs are fine when he comes in and I'm home. He says he can finish when I'm at work and that he's not afraid of the dogs, well I told him flat out that wouldn't happen because I don't know what my dogs would do if he came in and I wasn't home. I'm glad that both of you guys are okay, I'm sure there will be a mess for them when they get home.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you still going to take care of the dog? What did the dog's owner say? Will they be back ASAP?

I'm glad you two are alright, whew...I agree with llobardo in not letting strangers into a home where a dog is roaming free. I don't allow it either. I worry about if I'll ever need a dog sitter/walker, but I'd rather them be boarded for a bit than put someone else in danger this way...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think I would have seen that coming, especially after meeting the dog before hand. I'm glad you were not seriously injured.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow. Glad you were there for your wife. I bet she was terrified.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I had to go to my foster home's home to feed her dogs in an emergency when her husband was hospitalized.
I've been there a number of times now and she has Schnauzers but none offered to bite thank God.

So glad you guys are okay. Remember, it's the crushing (tissues) of the bite, not the blood drawn (or not) that is painful so take care of yourselves.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you send the owners a text to explain what happened so that they know to come home?

This all sounds nuts! I'm sorry that both of you were bitten. It must have been really scary. I have taken care of many dogs in my life and many friends have come into my house and taken care of my dogs (even fear aggressive Basu) and nothing like this has ever happened. Of course I have always had people meet my dogs at my house before and gone to other people's homes to meet their dogs before but still...this is certainly not what anyone would ever expect to happen!

Have they ever had anyone care for their dog before?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Wow! I don't think I would have seen that coming, either. Especially if the dog wasn't known to be aggressive. I wouldn't feel bad about the mess they're going to come home to. What other choice is there?? I've never offered to watch anyone else's dog, and when we used to go out of town we boarded ours. Now with the parrots, there is no more going out of town unless we use our camper and everyone goes. Please keep an eye on those bites! No skin break doesn't mean no damage. Your wife is VERY lucky you were there! What a terrible situation to find yourselves in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.