Bad experience tonight with our friends dog. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I was not our dog. It was a friends dog. All is well. I just shared the story because stuff happens and I thought it would be an interesting reminder to to be careful.

And it was certainly that - thanks for sharing.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I was not our dog. It was a friends dog. All is well. I just shared the story because stuff happens and I thought it would be an interesting reminder to to be careful.
I'm glad you shared. I probably would have treated the situation as you have, you met the dog and your impression was good (even if not @ the dogs home). I might have expected the dog to be leery, but not the kind of reception you received. Live and learn.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #43 (permalink)

Wow, I'm glad you weren't hurt! And it was nice of you to go back and check on the dog to make sure she had water and food.

I had a similar situation with a friend's minature poodle mix (I think it was a "****-a-poo"). In my sitation, I met the dog in his apartment before the owner left, but everything changed when I showed up without her! I was met with a small, curly, snarling dog crouching in the middle of the bed. Couldn't get near him, so I checked water and food and left him alone.

Came back that evening, and decided that little bugger was going out, no matter what. Since he was only the size of a cat, and I am stupid, I managed to scruff the dog and hauled him outside and clipped on his leash. After 10 minutes of arguing and me practically dragging him along, he gave in and we didn't have any issues after that.

ETA: I am highly entertained by fact that the message board auto-corrected my synonym of "rooster".

Last edited by sunsets; 11-11-2012 at 10:54 PM.
sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not just big dogs.

I agreed to let someone's dog out on my way home from a week-end thing. Well, it was a little dog that I did meet in their house once or twice. The name was Star. She was not a star that night. She was a frightened demon, and bit me good.

Another time, my next-door neighbors took in some old lady's schnauzer when she went in the home. One day they asked me to let the old dog out. I failed again. I couldn't let him out, and he bit me.

Yesterday my dad had to go over and take care of my lot. The five-month-olds jumped on him and wouldn't let him herd them into the other kennel, but everyone else did ok with him, and let him feed them and fill up their water buckets, and clean their kennels.

I guess "pet sitter" is probably not something I should aspire to be.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Let's see, a Lab bit you, but no blood because of your sturdy jeans?

And the same dog bit your wife, but again with no blood?

Doesn't sound like a very aggressive dog - just a scared one!

If most any big dog like that had bit, there would be at least a couple of drops. Jeans?????

!
You know a dog that doesn't have experience in ripping people to shreds may not get it right the 1st time, but that may be his intentions. I have been attacked by a dog that really was angry, but was "shy" about biting "harder" when he got a mouth full of jeans and a human full of retaliation (the idiot owner ordered a pizza, I strolled right in to his yard, knocked on the door, he was chained around the corner of the house, with plenty of chain to get me, and then some.)... and my 1st GSD trying to ward off an attacker, but not sure how to take him down. Not all dogs have a "killer" instinct, even when totally angry...they have the fear factor too...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
"I am sorry disappoint you that we were not seriously injured." Huh?

It Lunged three times? That sounds terrible, glad that you weren't seriously injured.

What exactly did you and the owner expect when an almost complete stranger came into their house with no one else there?

I am assuming that you and your wife had never met the dog before except that one time, right?
When I was veterinary nursing I had a little business on the side where I used to do exactly what the OP did......call around tend peoples pets while they were away. There were many times where I didn't meet dogs before hand....just turned up and entered the premises and fed them etc. I would not be able to count the number of dogs I visited......I was very busy (made a handy buck out of it too) and I NEVER EVER was confronted by a dog like this.....I would not have expected this either ESPECIALLY from a lab who was friendly the day before......
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Seriously?! You didn't meet the dog in her own home first and had only met the dog once and you were surprised by this reaction? What were you thinking? This doesn't surprise me at all.
REALLY??

Most GSD wouldn't defend their homes with that much gusto....and this was a Labrador........
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Most GSD wouldn't defend their homes with that much gusto....and this was a Labrador........
That's what I keep thinking, and with those "will my dog defend me" threads!
Dang. You don't want to be robbed, get a puppy off that bitch!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think this thread should serve as a good reminder to anybody who thinks their Pookie wouldn't hurt a fly.

Although I do think it's rare for a dog to actually engage in aggressive behavior (to actually bite) I think it's even more dangerous for someone to assume their dog wouldn't.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
REALLY??

I think that most of the ones I know would at least try to - with strangers coming into their home.

Mine would take your head off (or at least try to!) if you just walked into the house.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.