Bad experience tonight with our friends dog. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yep. That would be pretty scary...the dog was probably in distress do to the owners going about an unusual routine, like packing stuff etc. to get ready to go. Plus the dog may have picked up on some anxiety if they felt guilty leaving her (?) Any idea how long from when they left to your arival? May have been a diff. outcome if you were there when they left and took the dog out at the time and returned with them not home.

I hope the toilet seat is up
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't have expected that either, not after having met the dog. I hope you and your wife are ok. That's pretty scary, and I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever asked to do the same thing. Thanks for the heads up!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Seriously?! You didn't meet the dog in her own home first and had only met the dog once and you were surprised by this reaction? What were you thinking? This doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I don't think I would have seen that coming, especially after meeting the dog before hand. I'm glad you were not seriously injured.
I kinda would've seen it coming. OP said the dog came to their place, not the other way around. So really, you guys were entering the dogs space. I think its normal for a dog to protect its area. Plus labs are flippy as far as I know. My boss' dogs didn't really like me when I was in their home house sitting. I've known them for years and brought my own dog along, we all got along very well. I never expected the dogs to listen to me in their home, (they brush of everybody really, unless it's their owner[s] ) after a while they warmed up but I still got the teeth and all over some things. My boyfriend (who stayed there a lot, but most of the time they took one of their males with them) was helping me hold a dog so I could clean his wound and the dog totally flipped on him. I can be stern and real with the dog and he accepts it but other people? Especially people at the vet? Fugget about it!!

Obviously I would not be proud if my dog did that and now it has me thinking, if my landlords ever came down and the dogs were out what would happen.. My boyfriends brother stayed with us for a few weeks and after a night of our little party, I went to bed and the boyfriend fell asleep on the couch. Vida would not let him near my bedroom, or near the boyfriend to wake him up at all. Teeth bearing, growling, stance and everything. I could NEVER picture my dog doing this, but I believe she did it! Dogs just protecting its stuff. Glad you guys are okay.. that would've been a scary situation to be in.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
the dog was probably in distress do to the owners going about an unusual routine, like packing stuff etc. to get ready to go. Plus the dog may have picked up on some anxiety if they felt guilty leaving her (?)
To me this is a perfect example of VERY bad breeding.

Labs are NOT supposed to react like that. Well, well-bred ones aren't.

Unless the dog has been trained to protect it's property, a Lab should be very happy to have a stranger come into their house. They love EVERYBODY (or they are SUPPOSED to).
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When you enter a dog's home without the owner's it can be a luck of the draw. Some dogs won't even lift their head when someone comes in,but others will take care of business. It's always a good idea to meet several times at the dog's house if you are going to be caring for them in their owner's absence.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

IMO, if a dog is truly protecting it's turf, it wouldn't have mattered if they'd met several times in the dog's home with the owners there. With the owners NOT there... guess who's in charge?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

The same type of thing happened with me...it didn't get as serious, thank goodness. I went to let a friend's cocker spaniel out for a while..he did not want me in the house at all. I just called her and let her know that he'd be in the house all day. I wasn't taking any chances.
ksotto333 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Congrats on making it out safely and yes dogs who are friendly outside can be very protective inside. My dog is a perfect example of that. I will never enter somebody's house with their big dog in there!
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the comments. I am not going to make a judgement call on weather the dog is poorly bred. We did enter its home. I can say it was throwing calming signals the whole time; licking its lips, showing the whites of its eyes, growling and teeth were bared.

To Elaine, yes we should have known better, but that is what we always say AFTER a mistake happens.

I have no idea of the toilet seat was up, the dog had about half a bowl of water and that is just going to have to be enough. The owners come home today. We did reach them via text message and explained what happened. By the sound of their reply I don't think they quite understood how scary it was.

Like I said in my original post, I should have seen this coming and felt dumb for it even happening, I just wanted to share our experience. We are very comfortable with dogs but comfort can easily slip into over confidence. That is when you make bad decisions.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.