First Time Dog Park Aggression - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

Also - there are many, many mixed breeds on this board as well. The only rule we have is that you HAVE to post pictures! We love pictures!

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your pup progress back to his ole' self.
Yes Ma'am! Here you go. Pictures from the "candid" file. Both times - caught on places he knew he couldn't be on. My favorite is the couch - he's got this "What?? Why are you freaking out about this?" look on his face.

And thanks for the welcome, both from you and everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
First Time Dog Park Aggression-jack1.jpg   First Time Dog Park Aggression-jack2.jpg  
JacksMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welcome Jack'sMama,
I'd have to agree with Lilie, poor guy had some massive changes in environment. It sounds like he had to escalate his "NO" or "Knock it off" when dogs mounted him. More like a "I MEAN NO!!!!!"
And, to be honest....Boxers just don't take "NO" unless it's a in your face lots of exclamation points put on the end of the statement. Bulldogs are the same way.
If I was leashing my dog and a dog came up and mounted her then I'd be the one to literally shove it off. That's a space issue.
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree about boxers. Both mine are very dog friendly but this boxer at the park got both of them at the point of growling because that boxer was so aggressive with them including trying to hump them. And what was with those other lazy owners at that park? Did they think it was funny that you were trying to control the situation while they sat on their lard butts and watched while they're uncontrolable dogs acted out?
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jack is a cutie pie! He has that old soul look in his eyes.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
And what was with those other lazy owners at that park? Did they think it was funny that you were trying to control the situation while they sat on their lard butts and watched while they're uncontrolable dogs acted out?
Honestly, I have no idea. I was so frustrated that I actually looked at one of the men and pretty much said "Could you grab your dog? Please?" It was met with blank stares. I'm petite and while I can handle my dog, handling four of them starts becoming challenging.

CarrieJ: as for shoving off the humpers, I did at first when their owners refused to "engage" in the situation but I was focused on trying to remove Jack from the rapidly escalating tension. I wondered if my tension with the situation may have fed into Jack's aggression. Uh. It was just a mess.
JacksMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
And BTW, ANYONE is welcome here. Purebred owners or not. And I totally agree with the above posts. Your poor pup was only reacting to lots of stress, trying to defend himself. I agree with Lilie's post.
Agree - your guy was defending himself.

Personally, while better to all get along, I would much rather have a dog who will defend himself (might have to do so for you one day!) than one who runs behind his owner or goes belly up when challenged.

And don't forget, your guy is starting to grow up as well.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

BTW, many times "mounting" is a dominance behavior not a sexual one. Like a dog putting a paw on the back of another dog. Can be "instant fight"!

Either one would cause my 5yo male GSD to "defend" himself with vigour!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksMama View Post
Honestly, I have no idea. I was so frustrated that I actually looked at one of the men and pretty much said "Could you grab your dog? Please?" It was met with blank stares. I'm petite and while I can handle my dog, handling four of them starts becoming challenging.

CarrieJ: as for shoving off the humpers, I did at first when their owners refused to "engage" in the situation but I was focused on trying to remove Jack from the rapidly escalating tension. I wondered if my tension with the situation may have fed into Jack's aggression. Uh. It was just a mess.
Take a deep breath and remember that in 200 years, no one will know.

The next step is to lead your dog either collar guide or have him follow you unleashed to the gate and leash him there. That way your dog isn't feeling restrained in a pack setting while you lead him across the park. (I have no idea how big your park is; but I tend to cringe at leashed dogs inside a dog park)
Also if you have to at the gate you are a bit better at blocking the path of dogs intent on dominating your dog. Usually, most dogs will respect a human and give them space. Note: usually, *shrug* I have met a few that had to be introduced to my knee at the gate.

I have used the term: Manage your dog or I will. Your dog is being dominant, and he is NOT playing.
You'd be surprised if you stay calm, that you can find yourself managing several dogs just on your body language.
(see first sentence )
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

I had that happen to me today. My dog was interacting with another dog and then she wanted to fight! We were told that she she did not like other dogs. She has not yet ever shown agression towards my kids or me, but this she was ready to fight! Then I noticed she was chomping and foaming at the mouth!
Leshcib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

I can't take maxx back to the dog park I took him there when he was a around 4 to 4 1/2 months old, ( trainer told us to go there..) and all maxx did was bark at the other dogs and then one the dogs got close enough then maxx would want to smell and play. And before I knew it I was pulling the other dogs off of maxx. Now maxx is EXTREMELY reactive to other dogs. Now it might not be only because of the dog park but after was pounced on and attacked a couple times I stopped taking him there. Now I training and managing his reactivity. I LOVE the concept of dog parks but I DISLIKE most of the dogs and their owners that go there ( to mine at least) people didn't take this elderly woman seriously when she was begging for this young couple to please keep their pitbull back.. And they just didn't care, and before she knew it te pitbull was on her dog.. It just honestly gives me anxiety to go there now but a lot of people I know and have met take their dogs to their dog parks and have no issues. Must be mine only. Ugh

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.