confronted by a pit..but my fault? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default confronted by a pit..but my fault?

Sib and I were just on a walk around the block..she was on a long line and just sniffin' around..We came to a house where a small terrier type ran to the fence and Sib wanted to fence fight..(my fault I know)..I was getting Sib in a sit when a pit came charging from same fenced yard..Sib got really riled this time..but then the pit got out of the fence and charged us..I tried to keep Sib calm..didn't, and the pit tried to nail Sib..I came between them and kicked at the pit and told her go home..off ..anything I could think of to get her away from us..but she kept circling...I kept kicking at her but by now was getting tangled in the long leash...That when the pits owner came out and collected his dog and apologized for the incident..But, I know in my heart it was my fault for not controlling Sib..I just don't think I will ever get Sib to be the dog I want her to be nor will I ever be the leader she needs...Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a tough situation for you to be in. Even experienced handlers are taken by surprise.

First off, be thankful that nothing serious happened.

My thoughts based on what you wrote:

If you know that Sib will "fence fight" don't give him full leash - when you are walking near a fence (regardless of whether he will challenge it or not), reel him in close to you. This way you have better control over him. It's much easier to control a dog on a 3-foot leash than a 10-foot line.

If you can, talk to someone that you know has a dog "behind" their fence. See if they can let the dog out while you and Sib are walking by - short leash. Stand there and watch your dog's reaction - and be ready to correct / interrupt BEFORE he gets revved up. Make him sit / make him focus, whatever it is you do to work with him to get his attention off the fence.

I worked on this with Kyleigh when she was very young. I would literally stand on the sideway while the other dog was barking up a storm (either behind a fence, or from the front window), and I would play with her, engage her, whatever until I was the MOST interesting thing in the world. After a couple of sessions - she will walk by ANY yard regardless of what's going on - she'll look over, but there is no more "reaction."

Yeah, you screwed up ... so what? We all do, we all will continue to ... you made a mistake, move on ... trust me, your dog is not holding a grudge because you screwed up! Only you can make yourself feel worse.

Your dog will only be what you want him to be ... you have to have the expectations of your dog, and then the willingness, patience, consistency and knowledge to follow through on everything.

Have you thought of getting a professional trainer for some one-on-one sessions - even one or two sessions can be VERY helpful?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The only thing I question is the long lead...you'll never control your dog on a long lead. I'll never control my dog on a long lead if there is another dog attacking us. I don't expect my dog to sit/down when there is an aggressor around, I don't really know why anyone would.

I don't really know the history of you and Sib, but you're not really helping by leaving your dog on a long lead. In most places, leashed means 6 ft leash and not just any length of rope tied to your dog. Did you know that retractable leashes wouldn't count as having your dog leashed if anything ever happened? I question the need for a long line in this situation, my dog is controllable and obedient but I still only walk him on a 6 ft leash. That's enough freedom for him, if I'm not around streets/population I'll let him off, but if we're in civilization I prefer to keep him close to me.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

ah...that was not your fault. your dog was on a leash, the other dog came barrelling out of its yard. you did well

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

As soon as Sib sees a fenced dog she gets excited..Under normal circumstances I put her in a sit and make her settle ...then a leave it and she usually is ok..However, Sib fence fights with the neighbors dogs and I can't get it to stop..I am considering an e collar as she also will run across the street when the neighbors garage door is open..NOTHING will stop her...Normally she responds well to commands..just under these two instances is she out of control...I am also considering taking her back to classes for this behavior but cannot do that til after the first of the year..She is a really good dog...just a lack of focus.(respect)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have many leads but use the long one for casual block walks..I did not know that about the retractable leashes..This is why I spend so much time on this forum..Always a wealth of info..Guess it is back to day one..again..Thanks for you replies..
Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post
As soon as Sib sees a fenced dog she gets excited..Under normal circumstances I put her in a sit and make her settle ...then a leave it and she usually is ok..However, Sib fence fights with the neighbors dogs and I can't get it to stop..I am considering an e collar as she also will run across the street when the neighbors garage door is open..NOTHING will stop her...Normally she responds well to commands..just under these two instances is she out of control...I am also considering taking her back to classes for this behavior but cannot do that til after the first of the year..She is a really good dog...just a lack of focus.(respect)
Alice used to do this kind of reactivity. I think the key is a 6 foot leash with practice on the "heel". Oh, and consistancy. Being consistant is the key to leadership. At one point it took me 45 minutes to walk a block. Frustrating at the time, but well worth the time investment.
On the other hand, I think that you did good protecting your dog.
*If you find a trainer/behaviorist that recommends flexi-leads it's the same as a cardiologist buying you a pack of smokes*
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

No it's NOT your fault.
Under NO Circumstances should that Pit be able to get out of the yard once it did then it was ALL the owners fault.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17

Last edited by Maggies Dad; 11-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post
Sib and I were just on a walk around the block..she was on a long line and just sniffin' around..We came to a house where a small terrier type ran to the fence and Sib wanted to fence fight..(my fault I know)..I was getting Sib in a sit when a pit came charging from same fenced yard..
I'm not sure what your purpose was to ask Sib to sit while still at the fence where your dog is being reactive, and the terrier is being reactive. You were walking Sib past the fence. If she reacts to the other dog, do you think it would be better for Sib to understand that no reaction is allowed and she is to continue to move forward?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I'm not sure what your purpose was to ask Sib to sit while still at the fence where your dog is being reactive, and the terrier is being reactive. You were walking Sib past the fence. If she reacts to the other dog, do you think it would be better for Sib to understand that no reaction is allowed and she is to continue to move forward?

Good point, I also used to try this and my boss told me I should work on a strong LEAVE IT and keep walking. "power by it" The dog being next to the handler.

Now, as far as the loose dog, I've been attacked twice like that in my neighborhood by Labs charging out of the house and over the picket fence in front and I can speak from experience: an aggressive charge is an aggressive charge, don't care what breed it's coming from.
Sean's Dogs.com

Last edited by CarrieJ; 11-06-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: apparently voting has affected my grammar.
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.