confronted by a pit..but my fault? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggies Dad View Post
No it's NOT your fault.
Under NO Circumstances should that Pit be able to get out of the yard once it did then it was ALL the owners fault.
Really? The way I read it was that her dog was sniffing by a fence on someone else's property? I also read it as that pit was in all technicality on its own property...just because it was outside the fence line doesn't mean that the dog can't protect its own property. Most of us would not have any issue with our dogs doing this when a strange dog comes onto our lawn or into its property.

I have a feeling as soon as PIT is mentioned, no matter what that dog does is wrong. And the GSD is the little angel on the end of a 10+ foot leash having a fight with a little terrier on the other side of a fence.

Neither dog was under control, one dog was on the other dog's property. Sorry, my belief is that if you can't voice control your dog 100%, and you are in that large of a populated area where there are other dogs, you need to keep that dog on a short leash and be able to control it. If for nothing else than not having any legal responsibility.

We have a West Highland White Terrier in the family, if we were at that house with my boy, and some other dog comes up to the fence to try and "fight" the small terrier...I would not have any issues with my boy standing up for his pack and tacking care of business.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I'm not sure what your purpose was to ask Sib to sit while still at the fence where your dog is being reactive, and the terrier is being reactive. You were walking Sib past the fence. If she reacts to the other dog, do you think it would be better for Sib to understand that no reaction is allowed and she is to continue to move forward?
Well, how do you teach that if not by calming her and having her stop reacting?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Really? The way I read it was that her dog was sniffing by a fence on someone else's property? I also read it as that pit was in all technicality on its own property...just because it was outside the fence line doesn't mean that the dog can't protect its own property. Most of us would not have any issue with our dogs doing this when a strange dog comes onto our lawn or into its property.

I have a feeling as soon as PIT is mentioned, no matter what that dog does is wrong. And the GSD is the little angel on the end of a 10+ foot leash having a fight with a little terrier on the other side of a fence.

Neither dog was under control, one dog was on the other dog's property. Sorry, my belief is that if you can't voice control your dog 100%, and you are in that large of a populated area where there are other dogs, you need to keep that dog on a short leash and be able to control it. If for nothing else than not having any legal responsibility.

We have a West Highland White Terrier in the family, if we were at that house with my boy, and some other dog comes up to the fence to try and "fight" the small terrier...I would not have any issues with my boy standing up for his pack and tacking care of business.
I appreciate what you are saying and I did not have Sib under control..However, we were on the sidewalk not sniffing up against the fence...And, I am NOT a pit hater..I was afraid yesterday and would have been with any dog under those conditions.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I also don't think my gsd is an angel and all others are evil..or whatever you said..I admitted I was wrong...but what I need to know is how to do things Right...While on the long lead I bring her in many times when we are approaching a yard with a fenced dog..this one just came at me as a surprise...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post

Well, how do you teach that if not by calming her and having her stop reacting?
You keep walking.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
What a tough situation for you to be in. Even experienced handlers are taken by surprise.

First off, be thankful that nothing serious happened.

My thoughts based on what you wrote:

If you know that Sib will "fence fight" don't give him full leash - when you are walking near a fence (regardless of whether he will challenge it or not), reel him in close to you. This way you have better control over him. It's much easier to control a dog on a 3-foot leash than a 10-foot line.

If you can, talk to someone that you know has a dog "behind" their fence. See if they can let the dog out while you and Sib are walking by - short leash. Stand there and watch your dog's reaction - and be ready to correct / interrupt BEFORE he gets revved up. Make him sit / make him focus, whatever it is you do to work with him to get his attention off the fence.
Yeah, you screwed up ... so what? We all do, we all will continue to ... you made a mistake, move on ... trust me, your dog is not holding a grudge because you screwed up! Only you can make yourself feel worse.

Your dog will only be what you want him to be ... you have to have the expectations of your dog, and then the willingness, patience, consistency and knowledge to follow through on everything.

Have you thought of getting a professional trainer for some one-on-one sessions - even one or two sessions can be VERY helpful?
Super advice!

Don't stop and try to regain control after you have lost control. be proactive. Watch for the first signs of Sib reacting, stop then and work obedience.

But yes.... you do need a willing property owner. I would be ticked if someone started doing obedience in front of my yard with my dog going bonkers.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

As a side note..when I have Sib on the long lead I bring her in many times during the walk and always when we are passing a house with other dogs..This one surprised me and I was not as prepared as I should have been..I thought this was a good practice to work on her recall..let her go out a ways then call her back to my side..I am here to learn and I appreciate all opinions..
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thumbs down

dogs fence fight because you let her out there to defend her territory from aggressive dogs when other nasty dogs are out there. you put her in ugly situations. She shouldn't ever be in a situation where she would have the chance to fence fight. IF you own the property just get double wooden fencing on the side the dogs are at only its cheap. . If not you gota talk with your next door and find out when you can alternate dogs being outdoors.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
dogs fence fight because you let her out there to defend her territory from aggressive dogs when other nasty dogs are out there. you put her in ugly situations. She shouldn't ever be in a situation where she would have the chance to fence fight. IF you own the property just get double wooden fencing on the side the dogs are at only its cheap. . If not you gota talk with your next door and find out when you can alternate dogs being outdoors.
Thats a good idea and my neighbor and I have begun working together to settle this behavior down...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

the fencing is actually already made and cheap from stores like home depot like five foot high just tie it to your chain link they are about 12 feet long each i think. YOu dont even have to put them in the ground. Inbetween the chaink link and your ready made fence you can put some ply wood board just so your dog cant see the other dogs and go crazy Just in case.

give her bones and toys and stuff to keep her busy

trust me it will work my dog didnt like the car lot dog next door either i fixed it in a matter of hours and she doesnt know it exists now lol

Last edited by pets4life; 11-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.