so i bought a muzzle and i am glad i did - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I honestly do not have any concern about the safety of my dogs in the house or the yard. You guys make it sound like she's a monster waiting to attack my girls, without even knowing her and you are judging that little dog just from her leash reactivity, making it sound like she can't be in a home with other dogs.

Here is a newsflash: She has no issues with the two girls in the house. If that was the case, she would have shown it within the last two weeks.
Matter of fact is, she plays, romps, shows affection to both the girls.

Yes, these are three females. Yes, she has re-directed and snapped at Nala and Indra when she saw another dog on a walk and because of my previous experiences I do not take it lightly and got a muzzle right away.

However, I did have her interact with other dogs, she never met before, and she did not show any kind of aggression towards them. Except for the leash reactivity, this is an awesome little dog and not a female eating monster.
She has a very high will to please, is highly trainable and driven. I know we can use that to our advantage.
Next week I'll meet with my friend and she will give me her honest opinion and I'm pretty sure that it can be worked out. This is not a dog that can't be worked with.

As long as she is in this house, I will work with her. I do hope that I can find her a working home because I know she will have to be worked. She's not a couch potato and would excel in detection and/or sport.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-01-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nobody implied she was a monster.

Redirected aggression is tricky. IME, first it was one trigger then another was added and another. It builds on itself. And, while I don't think the owner was lying, I wonder if the actions were accurately evaluated. Ma went for the other dogs throat. I know I harp on that but it bothers me. IME, a dog only goes for the throat when it's serious about doing harm. Jax could easily grab Sierra's throat but she doesn't. The wounds Sierra gets, while latched to Jax's throat, is from Jax defending herself similar to the wounds that Ma has.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

u should see if they make a muzzle in pink or something lol

there are dogs with wire muzzles that go to off leash dog trails and parks they just run around chasing other dogs with these huge muzzles on their faces.

2 of them are shepherds.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Yeah. While she's sweet, she does have some sharpness in her but I think that comes with the breed.
I have heard more stories of re-directed bites from Mals than from any other breed--Mal people get really offended when I say this, but it does seem to be a breed trait, that hair-trigger snapping reaction. I guess there's a reason they call them "Maligators!" Very wise of you to go out and get a muzzle immediately upon seeing this behavior, rather than waiting to see what would happen.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Surprise- she goes from 0 to 500 in two seconds and she is a bit reactive!

Yup. She's a malinois. Sure, some aren't this way but many are. Muzzling is fine to keep everyone safe but be aware that this could just build frustration for her if you don't get to the root of the problem.

That is, she sure better be looking to you for direction when you see another dog and not flipping out. You could go the slow route which is desensitize, positive reward for remaining calm, or the faster route which is correction for stupid behavior and not listening to a command and reward for good behavior.

Use the ball and tug drive to your advantage. She can redirect some of that frustrated energy on a tug or ball and learn to wait and work through the reactivity with time.

I like to teach my dogs neutrality. I don't need them to make any other dog friends or to think that other dogs are exciting or play buddies. For a malinois like this, it may be the best way to go.

And if you need to re-home, that is fine, too.

I personally do not think that this dog has long-term issues from being attacked. I think this is simpy the breed and her entering adolesence/early adulthood. Malinois are known for handler aggression and redirection. You need to develop a plan to deal with it. A muzzle does not change the dog's mindset. A good failsafe, but not the end solution, in my opinion.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Here is a newsflash: She has no issues with the two girls in the house. If that was the case, she would have shown it within the last two weeks.
Matter of fact is, she plays, romps, shows affection to both the girls.
Here's a newsflash for you: That is simply not ture. She is not yet settled in and is still on her best behavior. She has not yet started testing you or your dogs.

I hope, for everyone's sake, that it works out and no one else is hurt but you are way too comfortable that this is how it is going to be forever. And the truth is you simply can't know that yet. It takes 2-3 months for dogs to START settling into a new home, especially when stepping into an already established pack. You have months to go before you can declare she is a "prefect fit".

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Yup. She's a malinois.
That is what everyone seems to forget.

As for if she is a fit or isn't. I know when a dog is a fit or isn't a fit. She is a fit!

And for her not testing. Jamie, how do you know if she is testing me or isn't. You don't know her. You are assuming things.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post

Yup. She's a malinois. Sure, some aren't this way but many are. Muzzling is fine to keep everyone safe but be aware that this could just build frustration for her if you don't get to the root of the problem.

That is, she sure better be looking to you for direction when you see another dog and not flipping out. You could go the slow route which is desensitize, positive reward for remaining calm, or the faster route which is correction for stupid behavior and not listening to a command and reward for good behavior.

Use the ball and tug drive to your advantage. She can redirect some of that frustrated energy on a tug or ball and learn to wait and work through the reactivity with time.

I like to teach my dogs neutrality. I don't need them to make any other dog friends or to think that other dogs are exciting or play buddies. For a malinois like this, it may be the best way to go.

And if you need to re-home, that is fine, too.

I personally do not think that this dog has long-term issues from being attacked. I think this is simpy the breed and her entering adolesence/early adulthood. Malinois are known for handler aggression and redirection. You need to develop a plan to deal with it. A muzzle does not change the dog's mindset. A good failsafe, but not the end solution, in my opinion.
I agree. I thought about that too or a combination of the two. She's a year old, doesn't know much and simply hasn't had any manners when she first moved in. She's been first testing me with jumping on me for attention. We got that worked out already.

She is basically testing all day long what she can get away with and what she can't get away with. So this might just be part of it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Nobody implied she was a monster.

Redirected aggression is tricky. IME, first it was one trigger then another was added and another. It builds on itself. And, while I don't think the owner was lying, I wonder if the actions were accurately evaluated. Ma went for the other dogs throat. I know I harp on that but it bothers me. IME, a dog only goes for the throat when it's serious about doing harm. Jax could easily grab Sierra's throat but she doesn't. The wounds Sierra gets, while latched to Jax's throat, is from Jax defending herself similar to the wounds that Ma has.
I've actually heard from a couple of different trainers that I work with that it's not uncommon for dogs to go for the front legs first and try to debilitate their opponent and then go for the throat or belly... I don't know how true this is or if it's breed specific but I've encountered it with Sasha and Scarlett in our own pack and also another of my friends whose dog almost died after he got into a fight with another dog and the dog broke one of his legs and severely injured the other. He almost died because the infection was so deep in both legs. So I wouldn't automatically jump to the Mal as the aggressor as it seems different dogs do have different fighting "strategies."

One that same note, I have to agree with Jamie that it takes a good couple of months to really tell how dogs, especially girls, are going to get along in the long run... It took Sasha 4 months to initiate a fight with Scarlett and it hasn't stopped since. I tell you what though, the first four months were perfect. No neon signs of trouble to come and then BAM. Scarlett raised her lip to Sasha because she was in her space and Sasha took it personally.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mrs.K, when are you ever going to admit you don't know everything there is to know about everything. I had Jazzy and Arwen together 24-7 for a couple of months. I had no idea they would start WWIII. Now I know better. They were 2 years and 3 years old when I put them together.

We tried to spare you some grief.

I have had dogs that have been in fights, good fights where there were stitches and drains, and they NEVER showed ANY leash aggression or dog aggression toward outside dogs after the fact. A dog should recover from that. They do not all I understand, but that is indicative of poor nerve in my opinion.

And as for wanting to please, Jazzy and Arwen both had that trait to the extreme. It has nothing to do with whether they will show aggression to other dogs within the pack or without. Jazzy was aggressive to strange dogs, Arwen never, not before or after.

Whether this Malinois has a genetic issue, or is typical for her breed has little to do with whether it makes sense to keep her in a family setting with a bunch of young dogs, most of them female. And the more this dog ramps up into fight mode, the more likely someone is going to get hurt bad.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.