so i bought a muzzle and i am glad i did - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Given the experience with Zenzy, and the fact that you have two other females and a male ... maybe it would be good to consider finding a home for her with no other dogs and someone who can work on her issues without having to worry about keeping up with other dogs. That's a lot to take on.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

the wire muzzles are the best- the dog can breathe and drink water. if you worry about stares you can get the wire basket muzzles in different colors to lighten up the mood of strangers. having a reactive dog is a huge management commitment.
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think I'd sweat the fact that people look funny at my dog because it's in a muzzle. Truly, isn't their buisness. My responsibility is to my dog(s). If placing a muzzle on the dog allows me to work through issues while keeping everyone and/or dogs from being bitten, then I'm taking my responsibilities seriously.

I utilize a Halti on Hondo when out in public. Nobody wants to pet him. Cool with me. Cool with Hondo as well as he doesn't care to be pet by strangers.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Given the experience with Zenzy, and the fact that you have two other females and a male ... maybe it would be good to consider finding a home for her with no other dogs and someone who can work on her issues without having to worry about keeping up with other dogs. That's a lot to take on.
I agree. I know what we go through here and if it were possible to rehome Sierra to a place with no other dogs, I would in a minute. It sounds like Ma has some residual issues to overcome, or she may have been the one to start the fight in her last home and the behavior just went unnoticed. It took us a long time to figure out which one of our dogs was the instigator and which one was just fighting in defense. It still bothers me that Ma went for the throat of the other dog while she has wounds on her that look like they were done in defense.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I agree. I know what we go through here and if it were possible to rehome Sierra to a place with no other dogs, I would in a minute. It sounds like Ma has some residual issues to overcome, or she may have been the one to start the fight in her last home and the behavior just went unnoticed. It took us a long time to figure out which one of our dogs was the instigator and which one was just fighting in defense. It still bothers me that Ma went for the throat of the other dog while she has wounds on her that look like they were done in defense.
Actually, she is only reactive on the leash. Other than that, no fights, she plays nicely and fits in really well. No other issues, other than the leash thing.

Indra was kind of stand offish but meanwhile they've become good pal's.

That being said, I was already thinking about re-homing her since it's just too much training wise.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Well you've got a lot of girls there, lots of female hormones.
And coupled with the issue you've already noted, it might be wise to let her go.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mrs. K.

Did you ever stop and consider that maybe the reason the former owners re-homed the malinois is because the malinois is the one who started all the trouble?

I think if the pit started it, the pit would have gone for her throat, not just her legs.

You are dealing with dynamite here.

I think you should probably make a good friend at the malinois rescue in order to save this bitch. Remember that she is still settling in, and she hasn't ruled out EATING your dogs yet, she just hasn't tried it yet. Bitches are sneaky and patient.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Bitches are sneaky and patient.
OH yes they are.
I have my cover girl, Libby, who waited an entire afternoon to retaliate against a little 5lb. Chihuahua that stole her popcorn.
The way Libby shook her head I thought the little dog was done for. And Libby is an aging Sheltie mix!

None of the drive and fight a Mal must have...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I don't think the previous owner lied about her. She knows a very good friend of mine and my friend met the dog before it all happened. I remember my friend even talking about Ma Deuce when she met her. My friend recommended me and she wouldn't have done that if she would have had that issue before the fight. Also, from how I got to know her owner, she wouldn't have just given her to anyone. She was honest about everything regarding Ma Deuce, good bad and the ugly. She noticed a little reactivity after the fight, but I think she didn't get close enough to another dog to actually see how bad it is.

She is an awesome little dog that fits in perfectly and as long as she is off leash, she is awesome with other dogs, even dogs that she doesn't know.
As for her reactivity on the leash, I talked to a friend of mine who works a lot with special rescue cases (aggression, reactivity etc). A former State Trooper that is good at what she does and is now working primarily in rehabilitating dogs successfully. We'll be getting together.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 11-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Hopefully you can find an owner that has the time/money to train her OR likes to go on walks at 5am when no one else is out

When I rehomed Roxy, I was hoping for a single woman that didn't have men over often, since she hated men, and I found two women partners that joked about how "they got rid of men long ago"....who would have thought I would find the ideal home for her like that?

Good luck and best wishes!
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.