8mo old BITING butt and hands social aggression, playful but getting worse - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Well, I'd REALLY suggest a trainer... class of some sort. However, you said there's nothing within 100 miles. If I were in your shoes, I'd be driving it once a week. This guy, IMO, needs some clear direction, leadership, and consistency. Classes are a good way to get him out away from the house and you can learn new ways to deal with behaviors and train your dog. Plus, you'd have a trainer there to show you hands on how to properly use the prong and any other tools. I think your dog would like it. You may be able to learn how to teach tracking or something to give him more mental stimulation. Maybe your guy just really needs a job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a pup that loves to nibble groom, and lately, at 16 months, he's started doing something he's NEVER done before--when he gets into this LOVEY mood, --seriously-- he starts butt-tucking and comes to jump on me like he wants to hug me and starts nibble grooming my arms. THOSE PINCHES HURT, lol. I suspect this is because my work season finally ended and I've been at home all day long for this past week. He has his momma back! What I've done, is he has a really good "No bite!" (which started as an "OFF") and "OFF". All I have to do is say it once and he will stop. It took him a time or two, but he hasn't done it at all today. He kind of did this at the same age as your pup--not to the degree your pup is, but if I tried to grab him at ALL when he got excited and a little nippy, he would immediately go into the play bow and start butt-tucking around, because I WAS PLAYING!! Except I wasn't. I DID ignore him. I stood stock still and turned my back on him. I took a few nips to the butt but I lived. And now he is very well-behaved.

Some of this is maturity. Keep on being steady, but pick ONE way to handle it that is clear to the dog and stay the course.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why did you get a active breed like a GSD if you work these long hours and days? That dog goes crazy from boredom and acts out when you are home. Can't you arrange dog sitting if only for half days?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Behavior like this should be extinguished very early in puppyhood. Now you have 8 months of reinforcement in the dogs mind and I really think you should go to a good trainer and let them tell you what to do to eliminate this quickly and effectively. Some of the advice you may receive on the Internet are populist methods that may require conveying the right message to the dog. If not executed correctly they do not eliminate the behavior effectively and then you have intermitten violations by the dog. Find a trainer and get explained to you how to eliminate this behavior BASED on what your dog is...jmo
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Why did you get a active breed like a GSD if you work these long hours and days? That dog goes crazy from boredom and acts out when you are home. Can't you arrange dog sitting if only for half days?
Really? 8 hours a day at work, with a break at lunch at times is not too long. Most people are away even longer hours than that, and the dogs are just fine, as long as they get the proper exercise and training.

Sounds to me like the OP is committed to their dog, so I don't think that it is appropriate to question their suitability to being GSD owners.

I second getting some outside input from an outside trainer - all the aversives that you have tried have not worked, and the pup should have outgrown these behaviours by now, so I'm with those that say that you are inadvertently rewarding him for trying to engage with you in this manner. Your timing for corrections may be off, or a number of other small, subtle behaviours and reactions from you could be what he is looking for, and thus as others have said, have been re-enforcing the behaviour instead of discouraging it.

Having someone else observe the interaction may be able to pick up on these dynamics and show you how to stop the cycle.

Personally I think you dog needs more mental stimulation - I can bike 10 km or hike throught the bush for 3 hours with my dog, and it doesn't seem to make much difference in his energy level, but a 15 - 20 minute session of obedience will get him pretty tired out.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Exactly Castlemaid.....it may be a very simple solution when observed by someone experienced.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I couldn't have said it better myself Castlemaid!!!! Great post!
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. This morning was a terror. Here's to ignoring: he lunged, growled, and bit me front and back about 7 times while i ignored him completely then walked away. Second time, he did the same thing. I made no physical gestures, repeated NO every time he bit like a stuck record (this of course does not work). The third time, I completely ignored again

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
mbpunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see what I can do about q trainer. Here's to ignoring: this morning was a terror. Getting worse. He lunged, growled, bit me about 7 times front and back while I completely ignored him then walked away. Second time, he did same thing as I was walking. I proceeded to make no physical gesture, and repeated NO like a stuck record. This did not work (I wont be doing that anymore). Third time he did same things. I again completely ignored and walked away... Really not awesome ignoring this...he's still doing it. But I'll keep trying this method for awhile -- that is if I don't go crazy first

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
mbpunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpunt View Post
As for obedience classes, I've read books and do research all the time. We live out in country. No training resources within a 100 miles.
That's fine, but set aside 15 minutes every day to work on obedience, whether he needs it or not. Both of you will appreciate it. My dogs think it's fun games to play obedience in the backyard. I incorporate playing/fetching/tugging with obedience, or have food treats for the food lovers. Mental stimulation is so much more satisfying for this breed than just mindless exercise.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.