I have been advised to surrender my dog. Need emotional support. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #41 (permalink)

I have tried it, but not to the extent that he did. he shoved him pretty hard. Finleys behavior is so random. Sometimes he's very submissive, and other times aggressive. I'm hoping that a professional, a real one, not like the guy I used in the past, will be able to help us.
jennifernikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What about the hip problems? It sounds pretty serious, if he's having trouble getting up. I'd be more inclined to get him healthy first, and then work on the behavior, because if it's related then that's a whole different story. If he's constantly in pain, and then lashing out because of it, that should be addressed.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If he acts submissive at some times and dominant/aggressive at others, he sounds like a confused dog. Just like some people, some dogs are born with wires crossed, which makes their behavior unpredictable. If you can find a good trainer or behaviorist to evaluate him, hopefully you can get some answers as to whether he can be rehabilitated... but dogs with disorders can be very difficult to manage and treat.

Have you asked your vet about Prozac or other anti-depressant drugs? If it is a brain disorder, drugs can sometimes be a big help. I have seen some pets do a total turnaround on medication, and yet others where it didn't help at all, but as a last resort it's worth looking into IMO.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
What about the hip problems? It sounds pretty serious, if he's having trouble getting up. I'd be more inclined to get him healthy first, and then work on the behavior, because if it's related then that's a whole different story. If he's constantly in pain, and then lashing out because of it, that should be addressed.
Getting him on some pain meds might tell you whether his behavior is pain-related. If his attitude and behavior drastically improve when he's on pain meds, then I'd certainly think about getting surgery to relieve his pain for good... then you may not have much aggressive behavior to address.

I used to be pretty anti-drug, but just seeing the difference that appropriate medication can make to pets (and people), I've come to the conclusion that "better living through chemistry" is not just a tagline.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

i agree if the trainer was knee him around the hip or rear and he has those issues i wouldnt be a happy camper either. In my personal opinion if you have the time to put all the effort in the dog then by means do it. If you dont and its a safety risk to your familiy and kids then its best to surrender him. I cant imagine how hard thats going to be because iv never had to do it. but your safety and well being is 1st priority. I hope whatever you do works out for the best
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know firsthand with my migraines, some days I could just rip someone's head off, lol. But to the gereral public, I seem unpredicatable, so I can understand if the dog has bad hips and someone knocks the wrong spot, there will be a reaction.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #47 (permalink)

were going to do xrays, which i wanted to do the other day, but didnt get done. and hopefully be able to see what the problem is. were hoping it could just be something like a few sessions on the water treadmill, but i have a feeling its not. pain meds is a good suggestion. This vet didnt mention anything like that, but my other vet that i take my cat to (I called her yesterday to get her opinion on the situation) suggested it.
Sometimes it does seem as though he's not wired right, but maybe thats lack of training. I don't know.

I really appreciate all of the input from this forum.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifernikki View Post
Sometimes it does seem as though he's not wired right, but maybe thats lack of training. I don't know.
How long have you had him, and where did he come from? At what age did you acquire him?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
How long have you had him, and where did he come from? At what age did you acquire him?
We got him last December, he was almost 5 months old. We got him from a rescue. Not a German Shepherd Rescue though.
I told them via email about his issues. The lady that fostered him & cared for him when he had Parvo, was actually going to keep him, but than decided to adopt him out. She just said, "Ok, good luck with him," That wasnt the answer I was looking for.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sometimes our hunches are right. Maybe he isn't mentally sound. But going to the second vet seems like the best starting point to deal with the issues. At least you'll know where you stand, since the other vet seems a little untrustworthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.