I have been advised to surrender my dog. Need emotional support. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[quote=Jack's Dad;2610462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifernikki View Post
Long story short. We rescued Finley last December, he was almost 5 months old. From the beginning, he had agression issues w/ my kids (ages 2, 5 & 6), expecially my 5 yr old. He actually nipped the younger two. I brought him to our local kennal club for some training & he snapped at the trainer. Thats when she suggested behavioral training. So i went to one session & Finley snapped at him, when the trainer was trying to show him dominace. His aggression is so bad, we can't have anyone over to our house. My niece was babysitting last week. He's met her plenty of times & out of nowhere he was vicisouly growling, showing his teeth & barking at her. The list goes on./QUOTE]

Here ya go selzer:
Exactly, I have not heard of a bite yet. A few snapping incidents, growling and barking.

The nipping of the kids, well, from the beginning he had aggression issues, especially the 5 year old, he nipped them. Well I have a couple of 5 month olds right now that might nip a kid, so far they haven't, but they have me, nipped, I just have to remind them to be gentle, and they are, but a rescued pup might have had to learn that he can't herd the children, etc.

I guess I need to know what the OP's definition of a nip is, was this puppy mouthing? Was their blood or bruising. Was it on the hands, legs, or on the face/neck.

I mean, they managed the dog for the past year almost. It is now, what, 15 months old? What happened between 5 and 15 months old, are things getting better with the in-home kids or worse? The pup might be getting its adult temperament in right now, and what is going on with the niece? Was the niece yelling at the kids? Do we know?

I agree if the vet knows of someone who can manage physical and training then ask her about it, think very carefully about it. As for rescues or shelters, I don't think the pup has a chance.

If someone had the dog for 3 weeks, I would say, yeah, there are a lot of dogs out there without all the extra baggage that might be put down for nothing. But these people already have the dog as a pet, it isn't so easy to order PTS on him.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I once had a vet tell me my dog died...once I told them that I would like to see the body and also wanted the ashes. I was put on hold for a few minutes, then told my dog was alive but wanted as a pet for a fireman and he was willing to pay all the medical expenses. I immediately picked up mydog, then went home and stopped payment on the check. They charged me 600 for hookworms??? Point being that all vets can't be trusted.
Is that considered criminal activity? That's stealing on the dog and the money.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree that definitions can mean different things to people. A minor nip to one person could be horrible aggression to another.

I just look at this persons post as if it were an ad.

Wanted: Good home for GSD. Our dog nips at young children. We did some training but he snapped at the trainer. Tried a behaviorist but he snapped at them during the first session. Will not allow people to come to our home and if we get a baby sitter to go out he will growl and bark and show his teeth.

If interested please call xxx-xxxx.

P.S. Has bad hip and may need surgery.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Is that considered criminal activity? That's stealing on the dog and the money.
Criminal activity on their part or mine? When they called me about the check, I politely asked them what costed $600.00, they then decided the dog had parvo, but I brought her to my vet(where I worked) the same day I got her out of there..She tested completely negative for parvo. Now they didn't know what to say and I threatened to turn them in for everything...lying about the dog being dead, its illness, charging for something the dog didn't have, etc. They decided not to worry about the check and my dog was fine..after she was dewormed.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On their part, saying your dog was dead, and going to steal it and sell it. I would have complained to the AVMA the BBB and the local police or sherriff's department. How can you even leave your dog in anyone's care.

Ok, I am hating.

Need to leave this alone now for a bit.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
I think that pain could certainly exacerbate a temperament flaw, but I would not expect the reactivity to magically disappear even if the hip problem were solved.
Yes.

With all money, medical treatment, and training in the world, this dog may never be trustworthy around people and especially children. The best that can be hoped for is a VERY dog-savvy and experienced owner that can manage him, and is willing to take on the liability of owning him.

Short of that, honestly, I believe this dog should go to doggie heaven where he threatens no one and no longer hurts. I know, it's got to be devastating to even consider it... but you can't have your children in danger and you don't want to pass a problem dog on to someone else so that someone else gets hurt.

This is NOT your fault. Some dogs have been dealt a bad hand, and it isn't the dog's fault either. Please don't feel guilty, ashamed or like a failure. It happens--people wind up with dogs that are not a good fit for their family. It's happened to me before--I had a young female with the same problems as yours. Terrible dysplasia and temperament issues. After a long and heart-wrenching decision process we had her put down. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. This was near 20 years ago and it still hurts when I think about it, but I still believe it was the responsible thing to do. Placing a dog with $6000 worth of surgery that needed to be done and an iffy temperament was not possible.

If you do have someone on the line who is willing to take your dog, give him the treatment and training he needs, and live out his life in safety, you are extremely lucky because that VERY rarely happens.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Yes.

With all money, medical treatment, and training in the world, this dog may never be trustworthy around people and especially children. The best that can be hoped for is a VERY dog-savvy and experienced owner that can manage him, and is willing to take on the liability of owning him.

Short of that, honestly, I believe this dog should go to doggie heaven where he threatens no one and no longer hurts. I know, it's got to be devastating to even consider it... but you can't have your children in danger and you don't want to pass a problem dog on to someone else so that someone else gets hurt.

This is NOT your fault. Some dogs have been dealt a bad hand, and it isn't the dog's fault either. Please don't feel guilty, ashamed or like a failure. It happens--people wind up with dogs that are not a good fit for their family. It's happened to me before--I had a young female with the same problems as yours. Terrible dysplasia and temperament issues. After a long and heart-wrenching decision process we had her put down. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. This was near 20 years ago and it still hurts when I think about it, but I still believe it was the responsible thing to do. Placing a dog with $6000 worth of surgery that needed to be done and an iffy temperament was not possible.

If you do have someone on the line who is willing to take your dog, give him the treatment and training he needs, and live out his life in safety, you are extremely lucky because that VERY rarely happens.
wow, thank you for sharing you story. I'm so sorry. After reading the replies, I suggested to my husband maybe we should consider to put him to sleep. But he doesnt have the heart. I'm going to talk to the vet tonite & get a better idea of who/what she has in mind of who will take him. My husband is the one that took him to the vet.
jennifernikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am blown away by so much in this vet's behavior. I can't imagine making a diagnoses of HP without any diagnostic testing, and to say that they are willing and able to rehome a dog with aggression issues?
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
I am blown away by so much in this vet's behavior. I can't imagine making a diagnoses of HP without any diagnostic testing, and to say that they are willing and able to rehome a dog with aggression issues?
Sheilah
Yeah, there is something amiss but I don't know exactly what.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

I spoke to the vet today.My husband is the one that took him to the vet yesterday.....which was a mistake, I shouldve taken him.
I was under the impression that she was going to be able to find a home for him. But she just gave me suggestions of what to do. So I'm totally rethinking my route here. There is no way that i can give Finley to a shelter & have him be so fearful in a cage for who knows how long.

I may be out of my league here, but I'm going to try behavioral training with a one on one trainer she suggested. Or my other vet also suggested a training facility in Graylake, IL that she said specializes in German Shepherds.
I'm also going to get x-rays, to see exactly what is wrong. i owe it to him to try to work this out. From there, see what kind of therapy he would need. He's been in our life for 10 months, I can't just get rid of him like that. I understand that it will be very time consuming, but i will have to make that time for him & in the long run, it will hopefully benefit everyone.
jennifernikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.