I have been advised to surrender my dog. Need emotional support. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree, but the OP said the vet could help find placement. To me, this meant a full disclosure of the dog's issues. Personally, I'd put the dog down, but I don't know how severe the issues are. I'm assuming, here, that the vet is aware of the dog's aggression issues and had some people in mind. If not, then I would say to put the dog down. It IS very hard to find someone that would take on that kind of liability, but there are some. If the vet's just shooting in the dark, so to speak, then PTS sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I agree, but the OP said the vet could help find placement. To me, this meant a full disclosure of the dog's issues. Personally, I'd put the dog down, but I don't know how severe the issues are. I'm assuming, here, that the vet is aware of the dog's aggression issues and had some people in mind. If not, then I would say to put the dog down. It IS very hard to find someone that would take on that kind of liability, but there are some. If the vet's just shooting in the dark, so to speak, then PTS sooner rather than later.
If the vet really has people, that's great. I know my vets office (which is fairly good size) does not have a list of such people.

I found that statement from the vet kind of weird.

Maybe I'm too cynical. To the Op my best wishes on a tough decision.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
I found that statement from the vet kind of weird.

Maybe I'm too cynical. To the Op my best wishes on a tough decision.
100% agree. It's hard enough finding homes for healthy dogs, I am VERY surprised the vet said she can rehome such a tough case. I question the ethics of saying something like this to someone in turmoil over their dog. If she for certain has another home lined up, then that's great and she's really helping you out. But how odd to say with certainty she can rehome this dog right off the bat.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I once had a vet tell me my dog died...once I told them that I would like to see the body and also wanted the ashes. I was put on hold for a few minutes, then told my dog was alive but wanted as a pet for a fireman and he was willing to pay all the medical expenses. I immediately picked up mydog, then went home and stopped payment on the check. They charged me 600 for hookworms??? Point being that all vets can't be trusted.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, I am surprised that the vet said she was confident that she could find a home for a dog who has both medical and temperament issues. Hip surgery is not cheap, it cost us $4000 for a hip replacement on Rosa. And behavioral training is also not cheap. We spent $90 per hour for someone to work with us on Niko's behavioral problems. For a lot of hours, since changes never come fast when there is a temperament problem.

I am also a little skeptical that the hip pain is being blamed on the reactivity/aggression. I don't have a ton of dog experience, but I know that my own dog who has severe HD in both hips as well as moderate elbow dysplasia, never once displayed ANY kind of aggression or fear reactivity with people, be they strangers or friends. I think that pain could certainly exacerbate a temperament flaw, but I would not expect the reactivity to magically disappear even if the hip problem were solved.

I don't know what to tell you, it would take a very kind-hearted and dedicated dog lover to be willing to take this poor dog off your hands. I hope that if you do find someone, you make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them taking on so much. Good luck!
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
If the vet really has people, that's great. I know my vets office (which is fairly good size) does not have a list of such people.
My past two mini doxie's and a JRT have come from clinic surrenders for behavioral problems. My BF is a vet tech. that works at the clinic.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We are talking about nipping and growling. If the dog is in serious pain, then yes, nipping and snapping and growling COULD be the issue with this dog.

So far, I have not heard of any biting? Has this dog bitten a child?

How old is your niece that he is growling at. What are the circumstances. Before we suggest euthanasia for aggression, let's figure out what we are dealing with.

In a shelter this dog would be put down most likely for the hips issue, or for the aggressiveness. Why? Because there are a lot of pups whose only issue is having lived too many days at the county's expense, to waste resources on a dog that is not a good candidate for adoption. It makes sense. Less liability too. And the more shelter dogs that have high vet bills, or aggressive incidents, the worse the reputation of shelter/rescue dogs, and the less chance for any to gain a forever home.

But, this is a dog that the OP has owned and loved for almost a year now. If she can find it a good home, that is great. But if not, let's look at how much aggressiveness there is, and whether there are any options when it comes to getting the dog the care he needs.

Again, the skin-kids are first, even the niece so long as the niece isn't doing something that is scary or possibly painful to the dog. And it is totally understandable if the OP finds she must put the dog down.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=jennifernikki;2610318]Long story short. We rescued Finley last December, he was almost 5 months old. From the beginning, he had agression issues w/ my kids (ages 2, 5 & 6), expecially my 5 yr old. He actually nipped the younger two. I brought him to our local kennal club for some training & he snapped at the trainer. Thats when she suggested behavioral training. So i went to one session & Finley snapped at him, when the trainer was trying to show him dominace. His aggression is so bad, we can't have anyone over to our house. My niece was babysitting last week. He's met her plenty of times & out of nowhere he was vicisouly growling, showing his teeth & barking at her. The list goes on./QUOTE]

Here ya go selzer:
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

I would take the vet up on their offer. One of the techs at my vets, is known for taking in gsd's just like this, she gets a huge discount on vet care, surgeries, she lives alone, and takes on hard cases like this because she loves gsd's. This very well could be the type of situation your vet is considering.

So yes, I would take that offer especially if you can't afford to treat what could be a big surgical expense..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

If you find someone who has the financial means to fix the dog's hips, in the hopes that that will help his aggression, and they are willing to take the dog, then you should surrender the dog to them. Ethically, you should not turn the dog over to anyone else except a fully qualified GSD rescue and only with full disclosure about his problems.

If the above options are not possible, then you have to make a choice between your family's safety and keeping a dog who will be a liability and not an integral member of your family. That is an easy choice. You must PTS if those are your only options.

There is no shame or failure in assessing your dog as being too impaired to justify keeping him alive, and humanely putting him to sleep. There are lots of wonderful, non-aggressive, hips-ok GSDs out there that would benefit from having a caring family like yours adopt them.
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.