GSD growls shortly after waking up - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
This doesn't sound good.

The breeder said it was "just his protection instinct"-- I hate to tell you, but at 4 months that isn't there. That was fear.

Sounds to me as if this is a fear aggressive dog who needs to be evaluated by a behaviorist ASAP. With little ones around and another baby on the way, this could be a recipe for disaster.

Have him vet checked for thyroid issues, and get a pro to eval him.
thanks. It does look like fear. The dog has his tail tucked and looks at us sideways when this happens. And he is excessively submissive otherwise (usually quickly turns on his belly when petted, would pee himself when reprimanded as a puppy)
samwise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

you can however teach the parents to keep the 3 yr old away from the dog.... gates can keep the child away from the dog and the parents should be supervising the child ....

as far as a temperment issue, since this is going on for 4 years something should have been done a long time ago ...... if the dog is that bad neuter the dog then return it to the breeder so the breeder cant breed it....
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebully21 View Post
you can however teach the parents to keep the 3 yr old away from the dog.... gates can keep the child away from the dog and the parents should be supervising the child ....

as far as a temperment issue, since this is going on for 4 years something should have been done a long time ago ...... if the dog is that bad neuter the dog then return it to the breeder so the breeder cant breed it....
I can speak for myself-- when I had a 2 year old and pregnant, then a newborn, my life was in a haze. You are sleep deprived, stressed, physically in pain, and get no breaks. You cannot be as vigilant as you would normally be, and the pets are very low in priority.

It only takes one lapse in attention for a disaster to happen. Gates can only do so much, and they are not going to work by themselves.

I do agree with neutering and returning. I can't imagine being able to handle this in the OP's current situation. At least, I would not have been able to.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

then they should return him definitely..
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
i can speak for myself-- when i had a 2 year old and pregnant, then a newborn, my life was in a haze. You are sleep deprived, stressed, physically in pain, and get no breaks. You cannot be as vigilant as you would normally be, and the pets are very low in priority.

It only takes one lapse in attention for a disaster to happen. Gates can only do so much, and they are not going to work by themselves.

I do agree with neutering and returning. I can't imagine being able to handle this in the op's current situation. At least, i would not have been able to.
this!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Poorly bred dog. Neuter and return to the breeder. Fear aggression that's gone on for four years now it going to be a bugger to correct, and it sounds like you've got your hands full. Once that turns to the family, I suggest putting an end to it. If the breeder has a brain, she'll euthanize. If not, at least she can't breed this dog. If she refuses to take the dog back, please for the safety of your family and the general public, euthanize this dog. You can't pass that kind of a danger onto someone else, and it's not feasible for you (in your current position) to manage this dog. One slip up, and you'll regret it forever. VERY unstable dog.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Poorly bred dog. Neuter and return to the breeder. Fear aggression that's gone on for four years now it going to be a bugger to correct, and it sounds like you've got your hands full. Once that turns to the family, I suggest putting an end to it. If the breeder has a brain, she'll euthanize. If not, at least she can't breed this dog. If she refuses to take the dog back, please for the safety of your family and the general public, euthanize this dog. You can't pass that kind of a danger onto someone else, and it's not feasible for you (in your current position) to manage this dog. One slip up, and you'll regret it forever. VERY unstable dog.
Thanks for the frank advice. The breeder is arranging for a behaviorist to look at the dog but I dot not have much hope. Heartbreaking as it is I do not see a way out that does not involve euthanasia or surrender of the dog to someone who can manage the situation.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

If you're going to hang onto this dog for now, please keep him in an area where your child can't get to him. I think your breeder is a few fries short for advocating the dog stay with you after becoming threatening to those in your home. This isn't a new behavior, so it sounds genetic. Bad genetics can be managed, but it takes a lot of work. I draw the line at showing aggression to the family, and so should she. Please just keep your family safe while you're mulling over your options.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
If you're going to hang onto this dog for now, please keep him in an area where your child can't get to him. I think your breeder is a few fries short for advocating the dog stay with you after becoming threatening to those in your home. This isn't a new behavior, so it sounds genetic. Bad genetics can be managed, but it takes a lot of work. I draw the line at showing aggression to the family, and so should she. Please just keep your family safe while you're mulling over your options.
Thanks. Fortunately my family is out for the next 3 weeks. I hope to get this sorted out by the time they come back.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

I can not tell you what to do plus it is hard to say because I can not see what is going on or the triggers. If you have a child I would not allow this dog to be around them. I have seen growling dogs when disturbed from their sleep for two reasons. One pain which the naked eye could not see, the vet ran tests and discovered a spine, hip, knee problems with Tori. She would growl and snap her jaws in the air due to pain. She never bit us.

The second time was with Kaylee at 5 months old. Kaylee is a healthy little girl but we had some problems going on here during that time. I have strict leadership rules that all humans in the house must follow. One person was breaking the rules and it caused problems with Kaylee's training and pecking order status.

I went to wake her up because she was laying in a high traffic area which she is not allowed to do. She woke up looked at me, growled, and refused to move. I corrected her and had to do some re-training. This was not her fault it was the human who did not follow the rules. I had to re-train leadership rules/status and the human breaking them is not allowed contact with her because of it.

We had Kaylee checked out by our vet and evaluated by a good trainer. She is normal everything is working fine, and is a happy healthy pup.

I hope you get him checked out and evaluated. The behavior he is displaying is not good. Maybe getting him fixed might help, but I would still get him checked out and evaluated to be sure. Also, I would have a trainer come out to your home to see exactly what is going on if that is possible.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.