Possible Food Agression. GSD attacked puppy - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree that OP is not a bad owner....they just have too much dog for their situation at present.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I don't think the OP is a bad owner either, and I'm sorry that's what she took away from the suggestions she's gotten. They have definitely made mistakes with this dog, but we've all made mistakes before.

Misstwixler, I looked up your previous posts and saw that you're here in the SF Bay Area. Can I ask where you went for training or who your trainer was? You can PM me if you'd rather not it post publicly. I know of quite a few good trainers in the area and would be happy to give you some names.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

OP, I sent you a PM!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OP, Send Cliff your older puppy. And then vow not to do the same things with they youngster.

Usually, we tend to give the current dog the home, and re-home to the puppy. But you have a dog that has bitten a family member, escapes (only a matter of time before that causes a serious liability), has food aggression/ dog aggression issues, goes berzerk on a lead, and has been trained to bite, somewhat. This is NOT a dog you can just give to the kid down the street that always wanted a GSD.

You have three choices the way I see it:
1, you can rehome the puppy and work with the older dog, with someone who really knows this breed.

2, you can find someone with the experience with this type of dog that is willing to take this dog with full disclosure for all its problems.

3, you can euthanize the dog.

That is just my opinion though, doesn't mean it is correct. Good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
OP, Send Cliff your older puppy. And then vow not to do the same things with they youngster.

Usually, we tend to give the current dog the home, and re-home to the puppy. But you have a dog that has bitten a family member, escapes (only a matter of time before that causes a serious liability), has food aggression/ dog aggression issues, goes berzerk on a lead, and has been trained to bite, somewhat. This is NOT a dog you can just give to the kid down the street that always wanted a GSD.

You have three choices the way I see it:
1, you can rehome the puppy and work with the older dog, with someone who really knows this breed.

2, you can find someone with the experience with this type of dog that is willing to take this dog with full disclosure for all its problems.

3, you can euthanize the dog.

That is just my opinion though, doesn't mean it is correct. Good luck.

OP, listen to her!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

OP, you are not a bad dog owner. EVERYONE makes mistakes. Please take the advice of rehoming the dog with someone who has experience with the breed. Dont wait until he bites one of your kids, please.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know if I was clear enough about something: if you take this dog to a shelter or pound, they will euthanize the dog whether they tell you they will or not, whether it is a kill-shelter or not. They CANNOT adopt out such a dog, and rescues won't take him. It would be MUCH kinder to take him to the vet and euthanize the dog.

I do not WANT for you to euthanize this dog or for this dog to die. But to give this dog to anyone without fully disclosing everything, will make you much more guilty if the dog bites or causes serious injury. If you give the dog to someone who does not have a LOT of experience, it can be really bad, and you will have to judge the person you give him to, because if he wants the dog, he is likely to try to convince you he can handle it, even if he can't, and because you are anxious to find him a home, you might be willing to overlook inexperience.

This is a young dog and the right kind of owner can probably turn him around. But the right kind of owners are few and far-between.

If you rehome the puppy, and get into classes with your dog for about a year, going to class once a week, and working with the dog every day, in a year you might not recognize your dog.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The problem is we don't know causation of the dogs issues to be saying where the dog should go. We just know its not working there. The dog could well be a sound solid dog with drive that has been allowed to run amok, and a couple of good sessions in new environment or even at staying there...could change this dog altogether. Or it could be a sharp nervy dog that really needs experienced owners/handlers, or it could be a strong dominant type that needs to have very concrete boundaries. It could be a lot of things, some of which can be fixed pretty easily, others that require strong ownership and constant maintenance. It could be the dog, the owners, or a combination of both....but until that is assessed you really can't say what to do. I have seen many dogs rehome for being too much dog and do well in new place. It's not that rare. You really have to be experienced with these type dogs of aggression to make good decisions.jmo
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have a very good trainer who could evaluate this dog, but the OP said they've already contacted a rescue to see if they will take him, so I don't know if they will be interested.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A rescue to take the GSD with a bite history?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.