German Shepherds Forum banner

Possible Food Agression. GSD attacked puppy

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but we have an 18 month old GSD. Male- Not neutered. We recently acquired a puppy (my friend found 6 young puppies abandoned at a dog park.) Things were great between our GSD and the puppy except the GSD played way too rough with him. We figured it would be ease over time. A few nights ago my husband heard the puppy yelping and went outside to find the GSD attacking him. We think the puppy got to close to his food but we're not 100%. Normally we feed the GSD alone in the back yard and the puppy in the house but my husband had let the puppy out to go potty and I guess he might have wondered too close. We're not sure what to do now. Our GSD has bitten my husband before and he tries to drag my kids around by their clothes. We recently moved and we're having our fence replaced but the company keeps pushing our date back and he keeps breaking new holes in the fence that's up and just taking off..... The GSD has broken through at least 10 different spots in our fence and we try to put a stake in the ground with a lead for him to stay in the yard but that didn't work either. I'm not really sure what to do. We had him in obedience training and we did a little bit of "protection" training to stimulate his mind but it was an hour away two days a week and I just couldn't keep doing it. We did it for about 5 months. This dog is also "leash aggressive" from what we've been told. He can't seem to get around another dog without going berzerk. I'm really uncomfortable having a dog in the house who has attacked a puppy when I have two small kids and with how often he keeps breaking out I'm afraid he will attack a neighbor dog and I'll end up sued.
I'm not sure what to do or why he's acting this way. I see a lot of comments in here are really negative and I really don't want to be insulted when I've tried to do everything I can to give my dog the best life.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.