Neighbors questioning Harley's attack. Dont know true answer - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

I eat Mexican food. I have all my life. But I still can't speak Spanish.
ROFL
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
I'm learning Spanish right now. I wish it was that easy...
I'd know Chinese too!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My neighbor's cows just wouldn't be safe from me, lmao!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Definitely muzzle him at all times when you walk him. Your liability is high now as well.
Normally I am not in favor of prong collars but the combination muzzle-prong will make you calmer and this will have positive effect on Harley. Also a sturdy leather leash will give you better grip than a chain or nylon leash.
And yes, take him to a class after you have consulted a trainer so he/she knows what happened. maybe you have to taket a few private lessons first to give you the tools for the class.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please get a muzzle.
The dog needs to be exercised and you will have more trouble if he has pent up energy.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't forget a backup collar if you use a prong!

I use a nylon choke as my backup. It's lightweight, and only there in case the prong failed.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use an oversized check chain with mine, and it's a fancy color so people are always complimenting him on his bling, lol. All that jewelry seems to detract the critical eye from the prong - not that I would care. I also wouldn't care if I had to walk my dog with a basket cage muzzle. If it's keeping my dog safe, why would I? That's how I view these things, as *safety for my dog* and nothing less. Sure, your neighbor will feel better about it, and that's a good thing. But the main goal is to prevent the dog from getting into trouble - and where they might have to pay the ultimate price for getting into it.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Also, to the OP - as much as you might feel bad to use a prong and a muzzle, I think in the end you will feel better knowing that you are setting yourself up for success in the future by taking these measures to prevent this type of tragedy from happening again.

You won't need to worry about another small dog charging your dog, because you have removed your dog being able to harm the smaller one from the picture, and you can walk the streets with renewed confidence.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Ok, I'm going to be the 'odd man out'. I agree with the prong, not the muzzle, though. This dog isn't DA, it was in prey drive. Get yourself a hiking pole or a large stick. You can whack either your own dog if it gets rushed by a small dog or whack the small dog that shouldn't be out of its yard. How likely is it that your dog is going to 'get away' from you again on a prong?? Other than working harnesses, I've never liked them for big dogs. IMO, if you want control that you can't get from walking a GSD, then you use a prong. Problem solved. I promise you that if you're walking your GSD and that prong is fitted properly, he's NOT going to keep bucking it.

I do think you need some advanced classes to get a bomb proof recall and a down stay without hesitation. EVERY person with a GSD needs that! How many have it, though? Use that prey drive for schutzhund. Don't pen up your dog at home, his frustration is going to go into overdrive making him harder to handle. Up your training and mental games. Up the physical exercise. Do NOT be afraid or nervous when taking him out. Your dog will be all over that. In the dog's eyes, he did nothing wrong. He probably hasn't thought about that dog since that day. Your neighbors had a reason to fear your dog BEFORE it killed the Yorkie, they just didn't know it. The dog hasn't changed. Not one bit. It was the same dog before and after that attack. He didn't attack a human. He killed prey. A truly dog aggressive dog or human aggressive dog needs a muzzle. Your dog is a normal GSD that just happened to catch what he chased. Lack of control and training. NOT the dog's fault. An accident. It happens. You have GOT to move on. Your dog already has. Tell your neighbors to keep their dogs in their yard supervised, and you'll keep your dog under control and that's that.

My pup is a sweet guy. He really is. However, he's already shown that you don't mess with or threaten his handler. Does that make him dangerous? NO. That makes him a GSD. ANY GSD can be seen as 'dangerous'. That's the nature of the dog. However, your neighbors getting all up in arms because your dog was acting like a shepherd is over the top. You correct what is wrong on your end. Your dog isn't 'mean' or anything else they want to say. Just accept that it was a screwed up thing. If you muzzle your dog, it's going to send the wrong message, IMHO. I think it will just key up your neighbors more, and possibly confuse your dog.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Ok, I'm going to be the 'odd man out'. I agree with the prong, not the muzzle, though. This dog isn't DA, it was in prey drive. Get yourself a hiking pole or a large stick. You can whack either your own dog if it gets rushed by a small dog or whack the small dog that shouldn't be out of its yard. How likely is it that your dog is going to 'get away' from you again on a prong?? Other than working harnesses, I've never liked them for big dogs. IMO, if you want control that you can't get from walking a GSD, then you use a prong. Problem solved. I promise you that if you're walking your GSD and that prong is fitted properly, he's NOT going to keep bucking it.

I do think you need some advanced classes to get a bomb proof recall and a down stay without hesitation. EVERY person with a GSD needs that! How many have it, though? Use that prey drive for schutzhund. Don't pen up your dog at home, his frustration is going to go into overdrive making him harder to handle. Up your training and mental games. Up the physical exercise. Do NOT be afraid or nervous when taking him out. Your dog will be all over that. In the dog's eyes, he did nothing wrong. He probably hasn't thought about that dog since that day. Your neighbors had a reason to fear your dog BEFORE it killed the Yorkie, they just didn't know it. The dog hasn't changed. Not one bit. It was the same dog before and after that attack. He didn't attack a human. He killed prey. A truly dog aggressive dog or human aggressive dog needs a muzzle. Your dog is a normal GSD that just happened to catch what he chased. Lack of control and training. NOT the dog's fault. An accident. It happens. You have GOT to move on. Your dog already has. Tell your neighbors to keep their dogs in their yard supervised, and you'll keep your dog under control and that's that.

My pup is a sweet guy. He really is. However, he's already shown that you don't mess with or threaten his handler. Does that make him dangerous? NO. That makes him a GSD. ANY GSD can be seen as 'dangerous'. That's the nature of the dog. However, your neighbors getting all up in arms because your dog was acting like a shepherd is over the top. You correct what is wrong on your end. Your dog isn't 'mean' or anything else they want to say. Just accept that it was a screwed up thing. If you muzzle your dog, it's going to send the wrong message, IMHO. I think it will just key up your neighbors more, and possibly confuse your dog.
That was an awesome speech. I actually did some work with him today. Had neighbor brinv her dog out while I had harley in our fenced yard on a leash. I walked him up and down fence line and he looked over at her but wasn't bothered. We then went to trails at park where a lady had a small dog. We did not get close to it, but he did notice it. I made him sit and we waited. Back on the trail we saw a squirrel, he wanted to go but I got in front of him and told him down, which he did. Not quite as quick as I would of liked but he listened. Its going to take time but I can do this for him and I. ( I hope )

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.