Neighbors questioning Harley's attack. Dont know true answer - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you walking Harley with a muzzle now? I know it's not the nicest of things, but it would probably make your neighbours feel safer.

I can understand why Harley went after that little dog though, and I don't think it has to do with it's size, but it's actions. Doesn't necessarily mean he's going to do it again, but better safe than sorry.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

The taste for blood is truly a very old wives tale, or maybe a mens tale, who knows.
Feeding "raw" has been around for years, except it used to be called "feeding themselves" How many family dogs on farms ate butchered cow that was left over, ate bones/intestines from butchering? Lots and lots. Killed and ate rabbits/mice/chickens/etc, then went and played in the pond or fields with the kids?
However, Harley chased, caught and killed a little dog. Without proper control and being very careful, if he sees another little yapping charging dog running towards him or away from him, he most likely will want to chase and do the same thing. The harness was great when he was walking calmly beside you, but you had as much chance as stopping him with a harness as stopping a charging horse with a piece of twine around its neck.. I think harnesses are great for certain situations, but you lose control very quickly. I would not take Harley outside without a muzzle and a prong collar. Show the neighbors you are trying to prevent another accident. Harley may never be forgiven by the neighbors, but the more "active" you can be with control, the more folks might eventually forget.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

I tried walking Harley the other day but turned around and came home. It was too hard for me, I couldn't do it. Think I need to give myself alittle more time. He will go out with a prong collar and I think we will start by doing some trails first at the park when no one is there.

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Harley killing the smaller dog has nothing at all to do with what you've fed him in the past or will feed him in the future.

If I allowed my dogs to chase and consume rabbits, they will do so. But it would have nothing to do with the fact I feed raw chicken.

I eat Mexican food. I have all my life. But I still can't speak Spanish.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

That is a good idea. Your confidence is down in the dumps and to walk Harley again, you need to build yours up first. Small walks in the park or on trails with Harley on a prong and a muzzle will make you realize you can walk him and control him again. Then you can start walking in the neighborhood. Your "fear" will radiate to him through the leash at this point and make him more tense and alert for "danger" that he is feeling from you.
You will get through this. You just have to realize what your dog, or any dog, is capable of and think things through and be aware. Muzzles always seem to signal a vicious dog to humans, but in this case, you need to keep on one him at all times to signal to the neighbors that you are aware and trying to prevent another attack.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
Old wives tale. If it were true then I'd be in trouble, lol.

If the taste of deer blood will set them off, just think what human blood will do!

And then think about what GSD puppy hasn't drawn (and tasted!) human bllod! (Landshark puppies!)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Didn't the little dog come charging out at your dog acting all aggressive?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
The taste for blood is truly a very old wives tale, or maybe a mens tale, who knows.
Feeding "raw" has been around for years, except it used to be called "feeding themselves" How many family dogs on farms ate butchered cow that was left over, ate bones/intestines from butchering? Lots and lots. Killed and ate rabbits/mice/chickens/etc, then went and played in the pond or fields with the kids?
However, Harley chased, caught and killed a little dog. Without proper control and being very careful, if he sees another little yapping charging dog running towards him or away from him, he most likely will want to chase and do the same thing. The harness was great when he was walking calmly beside you, but you had as much chance as stopping him with a harness as stopping a charging horse with a piece of twine around its neck.. I think harnesses are great for certain situations, but you lose control very quickly. I would not take Harley outside without a muzzle and a prong collar. Show the neighbors you are trying to prevent another accident. Harley may never be forgiven by the neighbors, but the more "active" you can be with control, the more folks might eventually forget.
This is a great post.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Didn't the little dog come charging out at your dog acting all aggressive?
The dog was acting aggressive on its own lawn and it was within an invisible fence. OP lost control of her dog when it lunged towards the little guy and took off for the yard. Killed the dog in its own yard.

It has nothing to do with what you feed your dog, but the problem is that to rehabilitate this issue you'll have to work your dog around little dogs. He seems to go into prey drive very quickly and the only way to train him is to slowly push him into the situation where he has this issue. You have to look at it from your neighbor's POV, I wouldn't trust your dog either, especially if I had a small dog. At the same time I think I've read that you allow your dog to run around and bark in the yard (which a lot of people do but it still doesn't look like you have a super friendly dog to your neighbors). Remember...dog's aren't what they used to be. They're more a possible liability than an asset. People love the "idea" of a protective dog, but when a dog actually acts that way towards neighbors or friendly people they get confused (or like it for some stupid reason).

Not sure if you've been given this advice or not, but go to a kennel/training club. One where you would be in obedience class with all sorts of breeds. This would definitely help your dog get better around small dogs.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I eat Mexican food. I have all my life. But I still can't speak Spanish.
I'm learning Spanish right now. I wish it was that easy...

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.