Shelter gsd only trusting me and no one else - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shelter gsd only trusting me and no one else

Hi, first ever post on here, I work at a shelter in South Carolina and I have taken a female gsd under my wing, saving her life. She is kennel aggressive and fearful of other people, but isn't as fearful when I'm around. I take her home at nights and have been for a while now to try and get her more socialized as I think that is her problem, but I can't leave her at home at night with just the wife and step son because she doesn't listen to them and is scared of them even though she has been around them and let them pat her numerous times. Is there anything I can do to get her to trust them more or will it always be I'm the one she trusts only? We had a dog trainer look at her here at the shelter and he tested the aggression and everything and he said she just needs some obedience training but i haven't got alot of money to pay for a dog who I'm trying to help get a new home, so if anyone has any tips that I can try to get her to trust more people I would really appreciate it

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Aussie Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

theres a lot of training info out there, on the net and in books, but to me seems like the dog is going to need more time with your wife and son

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

You could try talking to various trainers in your area, perhaps they will work with you for a reduced price or even for free since you are working with a shelter and could possibly recommend their services to families adopting from your shelter. It would be good business for them in the long run. Good luck!

Skylar ~ Aussie d.o.b. 11/7/10
Tucker ~ Yellow Lab d.o.b. 8/9/11
Hopeful Future GSD Owner
sassynsweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hand feeding is good. Playing with her is good too. Does she like to be brushed? That would also work. It does take time though. Good luck, and thanks for helping her!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's going to take some time. When she's home advise your wife and son to pretty much ignore her, no touching or eye contact but have them drop treats around her as they go about the house. See if there's an obedience training club in your area, they usually have classes at cheaper prices. Or check into the SPCA and see if they have any.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There's a good book about shelter dogs by Patricia McConnell called "Love Has No Age Limit". Check it out- it's $10. There's a lot of free info on leerburg.com and look into this site as well regarding the first two weeks you have a new dog
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
This trainer does not recommend the two week shutdown.

I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? stickydogblog
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replys, I will have to look up the book, the two week shut down, I've had her coming to my house since July, she is scared of sudden movements which I'm thinking she been abused prior, she is so easily trained in the sit stay come sit on mat but I'm just struggling with her not listening or being friendly with the rest of the family when I'm not around and it makes it more difficult when the wife can't understand why she won't come to her or love on her like she does with me so she is kinda scared of it. I just want her to be able to find a good loving home when I know she is a good dog

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Aussie Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
This trainer does not recommend the two week shutdown.

I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? stickydogblog
Quoting from the stickydogblog article:
Quote:
I have seen a protocol called a “two week shutdown” several websites promote. Some rescues insist on it for all adopters. There seems to be some debate over it’s worth. Some people swear by it, some people swear at it.

I don’t see the benefit in any form of isolation, the feeling of abandonment and separation from the pack is probably in my view one of the most painful and emotionally punishing ways to distress a dog, a pack animal.

Do not isolate the dog in the back yard, or the laundry room, or the spare bedroom either. Spend loving time growing your new dog to be the best he can be.
Wonder if this trainer actually knows what the two week shut down is? It isn't isolating, abandoning, or removing from the pack, but limiting exposure to anything stressful. And if the dog did come from a shelter, best to not let your other dogs around, in case of contagious illness that shelters are known for. I do agree with the bolded part and that can be accomplished with using the 2 week s/d protocol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.