German Shepherds Forum banner

I am so....... i dont even know

19K views 156 replies 48 participants last post by  codmaster 
#1 ·
Took kids for a walk, nothing unusual. We go out this one road in a farmland area. Walk it 3-4 times weekly for years. Had Harley along. The one house has two little dogs that are always outside. They wear collars for underground fence. They always come running out barking. Harley always just walks by no problem. One is a little yorkie and the other is a poodle mix. Well today was a totally different story. Dogs come out barking and harley broke free from me. He charged to the yorkie, grabbed it and shook, and shook that poor dog like a ragdoll. It was yelping and he kept shaking it. I am running to him, saying no, to drop it yelling his name. I got him off and had my daughter take him home. Looked at the yorkie and almost fell over. He had ripped the stomach all apart and everything was hanging out. I scooped him up, got towels from the neighbor and just held him. The owners were away for weekend and on way home. So I sat there bawling holding this poor little guy while he was dying in my arms. I am so heartbroken, confused, angry and nauseaous. What happened? What did I do wrong? The owners were very calm and I kept telling them how sorry I was. Gave them my name and number so they can decide what they are going to do. They even know me from walking by all the time. Harley has never done this before. We have had issues with him nipping at kids, which I worked on and he is doing better at that. This is totally a horrible shock. I feel so horrible. Do I need to start thinking about a new home? That is if they don't report it to AC, which if it were me, I would. I love my boy more than anything but I can't have this behavior. What do I do??

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can't control him and hang on to his leash when provoked like this, then, yes, you need to rehome him. I don't understand why you weren't prepared for these dogs and hanging on tight to your dog when you knew these dogs run out at you frequently.

I'm sure this was a terrible experience for you and even worse for the owners of the dead dog. At least you were responsible enough to notify the owners and gave them your name and number. I have no idea what's going to happen, but you have got to be able to walk your dog safely under all conditions.

#3 ·
I'm so sorry everyone has to go thru this:(

I would call the owners and offer to pay whatever medical expenses are incurred. If he passed, I would also offer to pay for a new dog, tho that won't replace the one they've lost if he did pass:( But atleast you are offering and trying to right what's happened.

I hope someone rushed this little yorkie to the vet? Or did he pass while you were there?

#4 ·
I feel rehoming simply passes along the problem to someone else -- someone perhaps less qualified or willing to deal with the issue than you are.

So on that note, I feel it is a very poor option.

No clue why you've walked this road so many times and then this happened.

Now you know offlead for this dog is absolutely not an option.

I'm sorry, what a terrible thing to go thru.

#5 ·
I would call the owners and offer to pay whatever medical expenses are incurred. If he passed, I would also offer to pay for a new dog, tho that won't replace the one they've lost if he did pass But at least you are offering and trying to right what's happened.
This is what I would do. I'm so sorry for everyone involved. :(

#8 ·
so sad:( I would give them a call tomorrow apologize again, and offer whatever..

#9 ·
Wow, I bet Harley just couldn't take their taunting him any longer(no excuse for what he did, however).
Because the yorkie was used for breeding, they probably will place a high dollar amount on his replacement costs.
A nightmare that can happen anytime with reactive dogs(this scenario is constantly in my mind). I seldom, if ever walk my two females in my neighborhood because of this. Not that they'd break free, but any dog running up on us would cause big-time problems.
I agree, with NOT re-homing, don't pass on a problem. Just use extreme management with him from now on.
So sorry this happened, rest in peace little yorkie.

#11 ·
I don't have any advice for you other than everything you've already heard. I don't typically carry much sympathy for incidents like this. No matter how obnoxious another dog is, there is no excuse for it being mutilated and killed by someone else's pet. I am terribly sorry for all who were involved. This story made me feel nauseated.

I'd go to their house with a blank check and prepare to cough up whatever they ask for. And if you plan on keeping this dog I would keep him confined to your own property until you can get some serious behavioral training done.

#12 ·
I know you feel horrible and I know you'll do the right thing.

It's one reason I HATE INVISIBLE FENCE!

#13 ·
An unknown future right now is very scary for you. What should you do? Wait until you have calmed down a bit, decisions made under stress often are not the best.

I agree with JaKodaCD and give them a call tomorrow, ask them what you can do to help them out.

Since you said he has nipped at kids (althought not sure where) is a muzzle in order when you go for walks?

#14 ·
I am just very scared. My neighbor has two small dogs and the one always comes to the fence if our saint is out. They play thru the fence. If harley is out, he always runs over barking. I correct him and he comes right to me. Its hard not to have them out at same time. We both have kids that don't know how to keep them in if told. I don't want another accident happening. I feel like we can't do anything anymore that we have done for all these years. Walking, going to park, pet stores, etc. I don't know how to feel. Just very upset.

#16 ·
I don't know if I would just walk over there and give them a check. I would contact an attorney and see what you need to do to cover yourself.

What I mean is, I would hate for you to go write them a check and then down the road they sue you in civil court and since there was no agreement with the check you wrote, you end up paying them twice.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#18 ·
If you decide to keep your dog, I would find a training professional that you like, to help you with your dog's behavior, help build your confidence as a handler, and both of you must get your kids to understand there may be strict rules for your dog and they should respect them too for everyone's sake.

#19 ·
just a terrible thing to experience -- very sorry for all concerned.

Let this be the cautionary tale for all those that rely on an electric fence , whether you want to call it that (which it is) or an i-fence .
You MAY keep your animal in --- but as I said on another very recent thread it does not keep other animals OUT.

This would not have happened if those smaller dogs were safely kept in a large secure , shaded, sheltered , enclosed kennel .

It is the responsibility of all people owning dogs to participate in their safe keeping.

#21 ·
Apparently the owners were away all weekend and kept garage door open alittle for them to get in and out as needed. I know they are always outside. They live outdoors, I believe, which makes me feel worse because the poor little guy probably didn't even know what is was like to be lo ed.

#20 ·
I am curious about something. The family was gone and the dogs were only contained by an electric fence? In the front yard? Or was somebody home at the time of the incedent?
Not that will make a difference because your dog was not under control and killed the little dog, but I guess I question why anyone would leave their dogs, even with an electric fence and collars on the dogs, alone and basically loose in the front yard?
What if a stray dog had come into the yard, crossing over the electric fence and killed the dog or dogs?
It just struck me as odd that anyone would leave their dogs unattended in the front of the house even with collars on. That would not stop a stray from doing exactly what your dog did, you fessed up and are facing the uncertain future, they left their "expensive" breeding dogs pretty much uncontrolled in an unfenced yard.(unless I misunderstood what I read)
Whatever the circumstances, I am sorry this happened to you and your dog, you might be facing a long battle.

#24 ·
I am thinking they are saying they use the dogs for breeding to push up their value.
Yes, it was horrible, and yes, your dog got away from you, but leaving dogs alone for the weekend with the garage door cracked open and full access to the front yard is just inexcusable.
In my eyes they are just as responsible for this as you are.

#25 ·
The reason I said that to begin with is because they use the two to make yorkie-poos. They have a camper thing out back with a bunch of puppies in. But yes those dogs are always out whether they are home or not. I have been walking that way with harley for five years. My feeling is that harley was wrong for charging in their yard. I had to fight to get the collar off the yorkie because it was so tight and it kept beeping. Didn't want the noise to add to his stress and pain.

#28 ·
I just keep replaying the whole thing in my head. It hurts to see my ba y boy be so cruel. I keep crying every time I look at him. I also keep thinking that I will be made to put him down. I should of told the kids, no walk tonite.

#39 ·
I'm sure it was a very traumatizing thing to go through watching that happen, but try not to think of it as "cruel". Dogs aren't humans, they don't think that way. They don't kill out of spite or hate like humans do, they do stuff like this because their natural instincts are telling them to.

Does Harley chase squirrels and chipmunks? That's prey drive. He probably saw this little dog as prey and acted on what comes natural to him. The whole shake until dead is a very common thing that dogs do to kill their prey. Does he do that to squeekies and stuffed animals too? Very common.

Now I'm not trying to say this gives you or Harley a pass because it doesn't, but I'm not going to make you feel bad either. If a dogs going to be off leash, you need 100% control of him at all times. You're doing the right thing and acting very responsibly. This should be a very loud wake up call for you about how to handle your dogs, but is no reason to put down or rehome the dog. You just need to learn how to control him better and not give him the opportunity to ever do this again.

#31 ·
There was a puppy running around one day with them and no one was there. I could of easily took it if I wanted to. Still doesn't help what happened though.

#32 ·
If I would be a cold heartless person, I could of left the dog lay there to die and quick went home. Nobody would of known. But I sat on their porch holding him close until they got home.

#139 ·
This.
Accidents happen, people and dogs make mistakes. It the end it is how you handle it and what you do to remedy it and prevent it from happening again that matters most.

Big props to you for being honest and staying with the poor little dog. Not everybody would have reacted with such moral soundness!

#33 ·
What a horrible thing to happen. I know how bad you feel - I had a Border Collie who went after and killed a cat in my back yard, right in front of me. I was so upset, and confused because I had house cats that she was always fine with. The attack came totally out of the blue. I hope your neighbors can forgive Harley, and admit that they were also in the wrong. Those 'fences' fail at times, so I don't know what they were thinking by leaving the dogs like that.

#36 ·
I'm sorry you're going through this.

I agree with the commenter who suggested talking to an attorney before paying anything. The owners don't have to know you have consulted one, but if there is any money that has to be paid I'd want a written agreement that limits their ability to sue or to report your dog as a dangerous dog, and possibly to admit partial liability on their part by having their dogs in the front yard with no physical barrier (in case the incident is reported by someone else).

I know you're emotional over this right now, but it is important to protect yourself and your dog now.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.