I am so....... i dont even know - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I am so....... i dont even know

Took kids for a walk, nothing unusual. We go out this one road in a farmland area. Walk it 3-4 times weekly for years. Had Harley along. The one house has two little dogs that are always outside. They wear collars for underground fence. They always come running out barking. Harley always just walks by no problem. One is a little yorkie and the other is a poodle mix. Well today was a totally different story. Dogs come out barking and harley broke free from me. He charged to the yorkie, grabbed it and shook, and shook that poor dog like a ragdoll. It was yelping and he kept shaking it. I am running to him, saying no, to drop it yelling his name. I got him off and had my daughter take him home. Looked at the yorkie and almost fell over. He had ripped the stomach all apart and everything was hanging out. I scooped him up, got towels from the neighbor and just held him. The owners were away for weekend and on way home. So I sat there bawling holding this poor little guy while he was dying in my arms. I am so heartbroken, confused, angry and nauseaous. What happened? What did I do wrong? The owners were very calm and I kept telling them how sorry I was. Gave them my name and number so they can decide what they are going to do. They even know me from walking by all the time. Harley has never done this before. We have had issues with him nipping at kids, which I worked on and he is doing better at that. This is totally a horrible shock. I feel so horrible. Do I need to start thinking about a new home? That is if they don't report it to AC, which if it were me, I would. I love my boy more than anything but I can't have this behavior. What do I do??

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you can't control him and hang on to his leash when provoked like this, then, yes, you need to rehome him. I don't understand why you weren't prepared for these dogs and hanging on tight to your dog when you knew these dogs run out at you frequently.

I'm sure this was a terrible experience for you and even worse for the owners of the dead dog. At least you were responsible enough to notify the owners and gave them your name and number. I have no idea what's going to happen, but you have got to be able to walk your dog safely under all conditions.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm so sorry everyone has to go thru this

I would call the owners and offer to pay whatever medical expenses are incurred. If he passed, I would also offer to pay for a new dog, tho that won't replace the one they've lost if he did pass But atleast you are offering and trying to right what's happened.

I hope someone rushed this little yorkie to the vet? Or did he pass while you were there?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I feel rehoming simply passes along the problem to someone else -- someone perhaps less qualified or willing to deal with the issue than you are.

So on that note, I feel it is a very poor option.

No clue why you've walked this road so many times and then this happened.

Now you know offlead for this dog is absolutely not an option.

I'm sorry, what a terrible thing to go thru.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
I would call the owners and offer to pay whatever medical expenses are incurred. If he passed, I would also offer to pay for a new dog, tho that won't replace the one they've lost if he did pass But at least you are offering and trying to right what's happened.
This is what I would do. I'm so sorry for everyone involved.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
If you can't control him and hang on to his leash when provoked like this, then, yes, you need to rehome him. I don't understand why you weren't prepared for these dogs and hanging on tight to your dog when you knew these dogs run out at you frequently.

I'm sure this was a terrible experience for you and even worse for the owners of the dead dog. At least you were responsible enough to notify the owners and gave them your name and number. I have no idea what's going to happen, but you have got to be able to walk your dog safely under all conditions.
I was prepared. I always tighten up and cross the street first. I never said I was not holding tightly.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I'm so sorry everyone has to go thru this

I would call the owners and offer to pay whatever medical expenses are incurred. If he passed, I would also offer to pay for a new dog, tho that won't replace the one they've lost if he did pass But atleast you are offering and trying to right what's happened.

I hope someone rushed this little yorkie to the vet? Or did he pass while you were there?
I offered them whatever they would want to do. He passed in my arms. They used him for breeding so they might want another one.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

so sad I would give them a call tomorrow apologize again, and offer whatever..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, I bet Harley just couldn't take their taunting him any longer(no excuse for what he did, however).
Because the yorkie was used for breeding, they probably will place a high dollar amount on his replacement costs.
A nightmare that can happen anytime with reactive dogs(this scenario is constantly in my mind). I seldom, if ever walk my two females in my neighborhood because of this. Not that they'd break free, but any dog running up on us would cause big-time problems.
I agree, with NOT re-homing, don't pass on a problem. Just use extreme management with him from now on.
So sorry this happened, rest in peace little yorkie.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
so sad I would give them a call tomorrow apologize again, and offer whatever..
I already figured I would go to their house and offer my apologies again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.