I am so....... i dont even know - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #41 (permalink)

First of all, this was a very sad and traumatizing ordeal that you went through. I do not feel that you should be blamed because you didn't prepare for a freak accident to happen that day. I do agree with the muzzling and more training, though. I'm sure that you're feeling horrible enough about what happened. I wouldn't rehome Harley...with the necessary precautions, this will never happen again. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this....it's really heartbreaking.
Meeah'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshepharley View Post
Took kids for a walk, nothing unusual. We go out this one road in a farmland area. Walk it 3-4 times weekly for years. Had Harley along. The one house has two little dogs that are always outside. They wear collars for underground fence. They always come running out barking. Harley always just walks by no problem. One is a little yorkie and the other is a poodle mix. Well today was a totally different story. Dogs come out barking and harley broke free from me. He charged to the yorkie, grabbed it and shook, and shook that poor dog like a ragdoll. It was yelping and he kept shaking it. I am running to him, saying no, to drop it yelling his name. I got him off and had my daughter take him home. Looked at the yorkie and almost fell over. He had ripped the stomach all apart and everything was hanging out. I scooped him up, got towels from the neighbor and just held him. The owners were away for weekend and on way home. So I sat there bawling holding this poor little guy while he was dying in my arms. I am so heartbroken, confused, angry and nauseaous. What happened? What did I do wrong? The owners were very calm and I kept telling them how sorry I was. Gave them my name and number so they can decide what they are going to do. They even know me from walking by all the time. Harley has never done this before. We have had issues with him nipping at kids, which I worked on and he is doing better at that. This is totally a horrible shock. I feel so horrible. Do I need to start thinking about a new home? That is if they don't report it to AC, which if it were me, I would. I love my boy more than anything but I can't have this behavior. What do I do??

One thing to consider - where did the grabbing take place? Did your dog go onto their property or did their dog rush out onto a public street or sidewalk? Did their dog come running at you or did your dog go running after their dog?

Might make a BIG difference in your dogs life!

I don't have any clue of course but we have had little dogs come running at us (male 5yo GSD) and start barking and circling us when we are on a walk.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I was prepared. I always tighten up and cross the street first. I never said I was not holding tightly.

Then how did your dog grab the other dog?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Apparently the owners were away all weekend and kept garage door open alittle for them to get in and out as needed. I know they are always outside. They live outdoors, I believe, which makes me feel worse because the poor little guy probably didn't even know what is was like to be lo ed.

So they were off lead running free - HMMM! What about leash laws?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
There was a puppy running around one day with them and no one was there. I could of easily took it if I wanted to. Still doesn't help what happened though.

Get thee to a lawyer, ASAP!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
One thing to consider - where did the grabbing take place? Did your dog go onto their property or did their dog rush out onto a public street or sidewalk? Did their dog come running at you or did your dog go running after their dog?

Might make a BIG difference in your dogs life!

I don't have any clue of course but we have had little dogs come running at us (male 5yo GSD) and start barking and circling us when we are on a walk.
They always come running out as far as they can get to. Harley ran part way thru their yard after they ran out.

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
So they were off lead running free - HMMM! What about leash laws?
Yes those dogs aee always off leash. In their yard, but off leash. When they don't have the collars on, they come out to the road.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #48 (permalink)

I agree with Carmen ^^ if someone did that here, they'd be arrested for neglect.

You can't just leave your dogs loose outside and go off for the weekend I'm surprised no one had stolen them or otherwise before this

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
that is why I brought it up -- those people are negligent in the care of their animals - they were not safe, they may not have had necessities . Anyone could have stolen, poisoned them as well.
Not to mention, if they are intact (used for breeding?) they should never be off leash or outside a securely fenced enclosure IMO, let alone when the owners are away!

I'm so, so sorry that this happened, how traumatizing! I agree about the muzzle for the future.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #50 (permalink)

I stopped in this morning. Apparently the yorkie didn't die, when we thought. She said he was still breathing faintly. After an hour they took him to vet where he bit their two children. They PTS. So they are rabie testing him and she asked me to pay the bill. Said they don't blame Harley. They know how the yorkie was with running out barking and since they weren't home, he was probably more mouthy. Stated that a year ago they had one that got caught under garage door and suffocated??? That made me feel alittle weird.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.