I am so....... i dont even know - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
that is why I brought it up -- those people are negligent in the care of their animals - they were not safe, they may not have had necessities . Anyone could have stolen, poisoned them as well.
There was a puppy running around one day with them and no one was there. I could of easily took it if I wanted to. Still doesn't help what happened though.

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

If I would be a cold heartless person, I could of left the dog lay there to die and quick went home. Nobody would of known. But I sat on their porch holding him close until they got home.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What a horrible thing to happen. I know how bad you feel - I had a Border Collie who went after and killed a cat in my back yard, right in front of me. I was so upset, and confused because I had house cats that she was always fine with. The attack came totally out of the blue. I hope your neighbors can forgive Harley, and admit that they were also in the wrong. Those 'fences' fail at times, so I don't know what they were thinking by leaving the dogs like that.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

Are your neighbors Amish?
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
Are your neighbors Amish?
Not completely. I would say "plain people". Ones with coverings but live the way we do.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I agree with the commenter who suggested talking to an attorney before paying anything. The owners don't have to know you have consulted one, but if there is any money that has to be paid I'd want a written agreement that limits their ability to sue or to report your dog as a dangerous dog, and possibly to admit partial liability on their part by having their dogs in the front yard with no physical barrier (in case the incident is reported by someone else).

I know you're emotional over this right now, but it is important to protect yourself and your dog now.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshepharley View Post
Not completely. I would say "plain people". Ones with coverings but live the way we do.
There are different kinds of ordnungs that practice differently however I pray for your sake that they forgive and move on. That is pretty much the traditional and typical belief of the Amish. In that way, they will believe that it was of God and his will, nothing more.

Last edited by Narny; 10-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I can't even imagine what you are going through. I hope things work out. I agree that they should never have left dogs unattended with the efence and that size dog could easily fall prey to birds of prey as well as coyotes etc.........But I also know you are still responsible since your dog went on their property and attacked the dog. It is very clear you want to do the right thing and are torn up about all this.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshepharley View Post
I just keep replaying the whole thing in my head. It hurts to see my ba y boy be so cruel. I keep crying every time I look at him. I also keep thinking that I will be made to put him down. I should of told the kids, no walk tonite.
I'm sure it was a very traumatizing thing to go through watching that happen, but try not to think of it as "cruel". Dogs aren't humans, they don't think that way. They don't kill out of spite or hate like humans do, they do stuff like this because their natural instincts are telling them to.

Does Harley chase squirrels and chipmunks? That's prey drive. He probably saw this little dog as prey and acted on what comes natural to him. The whole shake until dead is a very common thing that dogs do to kill their prey. Does he do that to squeekies and stuffed animals too? Very common.

Now I'm not trying to say this gives you or Harley a pass because it doesn't, but I'm not going to make you feel bad either. If a dogs going to be off leash, you need 100% control of him at all times. You're doing the right thing and acting very responsibly. This should be a very loud wake up call for you about how to handle your dogs, but is no reason to put down or rehome the dog. You just need to learn how to control him better and not give him the opportunity to ever do this again.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree...what can you really do about prey drive other than try to not let your dog get away from you and maybe up the training for better recall in emergencies? If you have homeowner's insurance, they would pay in a lawsuit (provided maybe they know you have the dog). Talking to an attorney is the best thing you can do. Some people would claim the dog was worth well over what it actually is. Just because it was used for breeding doesn't mean it's actually worth more. It's too bad this happened, but the owners of those dogs bear some of the responsibility. I've never liked invisible fences for many reasons...this is one of them. Anything could have gotten that dog left out like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.