I am so....... i dont even know - Page 16 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #151 (permalink)
Banned

since you know the dogs bark and lunge and
are only semi protected by an e-fence why
walk pass them even if you're on the other
side of the street?

if the ankle nippers were the side of a German
Shepherd would you continually walk pass them?

did your dog ever get away from you when the owners
of the little dogs were home?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #152 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Sometimes I post from my phone at traffic lights Otherwise I would have reposted sooner.

I like this prong because it is easy to put on, easy to take off, the prongs are good quality, and the collar actually looks gorgeous!

Secret Power

Must admit, I had used it very sparingly, but from now on I will have him wear it.
Also, at 9 months, Hans is old enough to have it on.
I have a regular prong that I used maybe three times. This is really nice, lots of choices too.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #153 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Timeframe for the AC officer to show up. Well, based on my experience - the incident happened on Monday, the sheriff called me the next morning. Of course - the little dog's owner had filed a complaint. In your case,if the owners haven't filed a complaint and no humans were attacked (see - it could have been much worse), maybe they won't. But what was suggested to me by a co-worker when my Husky (of all dogs ) got a complaint for barking and I was worried, was to call or go down to the AC office as I did have a right to see the complaint and know the status. So rather than worry and picture the worse, you may want to do the same. You may be told it is a civil matter and no crime was committed but the AC have to investigate if there is a complaint. It don't know how it would work in your state.
On to retraining, since I've been there, I suggest you hold off on the prong collar and rethink your walking strategy. You and your dog are both under stress (which he is picking up from you - he probably can't understand why you are upset, but still senses that you are, and that upsets him). Take him in quiet places, even if you have to get up extra early. Hold the leash as Lilie suggested. Keep your distance from other dogs. Have him concentrate on you. I decided to try the harness first but with a training method which keeps you dog focused on you.(dogwalkinsync.com - there's a video on the website that explains the training method). When your dog is focused on you, he can't get into such unpleasant situations. When you see another dog, sharply turn, curve, go in different directions, with the leash held properly - he will have no choice but to follow and concentrate on you. Reward him for following you. Think positive - walking together side by side. And be sure to leave time for tug - I use 2 tugs attached to leashes. My dog waits on the down/stay while I go out about 20 ft. (in my fenced in backyard) -when I lower my hand - he dashes out to attack the tug I have scooted on the ground - he grabs it - I tug, then I drop it and scoot the other one (you'll find it's a great release for your stress and you dog's) - have a good game - then you give up - slink away like you're defeated - turn and praise him for being the winner. When he brings the tugs to you - reward and praise him. You're letting him satisfy his prey drive in a safe manner.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #154 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Timeframe for the AC officer to show up. Well, based on my experience - the incident happened on Monday, the sheriff called me the next morning. Of course - the little dog's owner had filed a complaint. In your case,if the owners haven't filed a complaint and no humans were attacked (see - it could have been much worse), maybe they won't. But what was suggested to me by a co-worker when my Husky (of all dogs ) got a complaint for barking and I was worried, was to call or go down to the AC office as I did have a right to see the complaint and know the status. So rather than worry and picture the worse, you may want to do the same. You may be told it is a civil matter and no crime was committed but the AC have to investigate if there is a complaint. It don't know how it would work in your state.
On to retraining, since I've been there, I suggest you hold off on the prong collar and rethink your walking strategy. You and your dog are both under stress (which he is picking up from you - he probably can't understand why you are upset, but still senses that you are, and that upsets him). Take him in quiet places, even if you have to get up extra early. Hold the leash as Lilie suggested. Keep your distance from other dogs. Have him concentrate on you. I decided to try the harness first but with a training method which keeps you dog focused on you.(dogwalkinsync.com - there's a video on the website that explains the training method). When your dog is focused on you, he can't get into such unpleasant situations. When you see another dog, sharply turn, curve, go in different directions, with the leash held properly - he will have no choice but to follow and concentrate on you. Reward him for following you. Think positive - walking together side by side. And be sure to leave time for tug - I use 2 tugs attached to leashes. My dog waits on the down/stay while I go out about 20 ft. (in my fenced in backyard) -when I lower my hand - he dashes out to attack the tug I have scooted on the ground - he grabs it - I tug, then I drop it and scoot the other one (you'll find it's a great release for your stress and you dog's) - have a good game - then you give up - slink away like you're defeated - turn and praise him for being the winner. When he brings the tugs to you - reward and praise him. You're letting him satisfy his prey drive in a safe manner.
She can have a prong on the dog and still work on his focus.
Better safe than sorry.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #155 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The Secret Power collars are gorgeous, but I like my Herm Sprenger prong collar. If you don't want to order online you can get prong collars at most pet stores. Before you buy it, check the tips of the prongs to make sure they're rounded, because I've seen some very cheaply made ones where the tips are just chopped off, and they're sharp.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Thank you for the great info.

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #157 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
since you know the dogs bark and lunge and
are only semi protected by an e-fence why
walk pass them even if you're on the other
side of the street?

if the ankle nippers were the side of a German
Shepherd would you continually walk pass them?

did your dog ever get away from you when the owners
of the little dogs were home?
"Take back the streets!"

Why not walk down a public street?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.